Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone ever used glass stain on chrome tail lights?

I'm building the AMT '65 Galaxie, which was initially issued with clear red tail lights.  At some point those went away, and I haven't been able to find them on ebay or Modelhaus over the last couple years.  

I'm considering trying to replicate the red lenses with glass stain, as it's translucent, but since I don't know anything about brands/quality etc, I'd like to see some pics if you've done this.  

My one attempt at detailing with Tamiya acrylic paint was a disaster.  I was used to the way enamels can be "worked" with a brush, while the Tamiya paint was more or less a one-pass proposition.  Given what I've got to work around, 

w1.jpg.9251e15ad32939000fa94d9a200b242d.jpg

Bob's answer looks like it may be the best way to go.  

10 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Are lenses clear or is the entire piece plated? If so, get red Sharpie Twin Tip and use the ultra-fine tip in the corners/edges, fine tip to fill out the rest.

I've done that. I've also had amazing results with Testor Clear Red Acryl. Recently I "rescued" a Revell '68 Dart that was missing two of its four red taillights. I was originally going to make the two missing ones, and then got lazy and popped out the two I had and replaced them all with about four coats of the Clear Red Acryl. You wouldn't notice it if I didn't tell you. 

68Dart30.jpg.914c5759ead50eeedfaa4361481f8819.jpg

35 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

Are lenses clear or is the entire piece plated? If so, get red Sharpie Twin Tip and use the ultra-fine tip in the corners/edges, fine tip to fill out the rest.

The entire piece is plated.  Thanks for being specific on the Sharpie recommendation.  

This is Model Master Stop Light Red Metallic on a slice of white styrene rod. I hollowed it out slightly and put a heavy droplet of paint in it.  I think it would look great over top of chrome.

IMG_3428.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

The Tamiya transparent acrylic paints can be thinned with 90% Isopropyl alcohol to extend their drying time.

Alcald II makes transparent colors too. But the paint is very thin (designed for airbrushing) and hot (acetone-based). But since the piece is metalized, it might not attack plastic.