Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heller's Peugeot 205 EV 2

Ensis Ferrae

Hello all,  Never really have done a full WIP, and figured this is as good a build as any to try it out. Pictures today are  just the "unboxing" of the kit, however I hope to begin working on it sooner, rather than later, and keep everyone updated.

5c3687691a122_Peugeotbox.thumb.jpg.31a8d3f0c15448ce59598f5911b15257.jpg5c368782a8c25_peugeotbody.thumb.jpg.324af41eb398ac7f2b84447f563d2f1f.jpg5c36878cee7fc_peugeotparts.thumb.jpg.7d8de225ae844388dd078f910d09ad1d.jpg

Despite having so few pieces (the kit only has 41), the appearance here is that it can be built open or curbside (for instance, the rear hatch, and the hood are not glued down, per the directions, leaving the option of having things more open). Just from my initial visual inspections, looks like there is quite a bit of flashing and mold lines to clean up, so should provide me a good bit of work, and hopefully look ace when done.

Thanks for sharing the unboxing. I will look forward to the WIP.

I was not aware of this kit. It looks like it has an opening (or at least separate) rear panel, but no engine detail underneath? 

Is this tooling related in any way to the old Tamiya 205?

1 hour ago, beeRS said:

Thanks for sharing the unboxing. I will look forward to the WIP.

I was not aware of this kit. It looks like it has an opening (or at least separate) rear panel, but no engine detail underneath? 

Is this tooling related in any way to the old Tamiya 205?

There is detail for the engine underneath (probably hard to see due to my original pictures.  Here's a shot much closer of the bottom piece.  You do build the block and cement it to part of the piece in the picture, so there is detail underneath, I am just not sure at this point exactly what will be visible. 5c36f244f0c81_PeugeotBottom.thumb.jpg.9f63ce41b407e9e3c93478552b2baf54.jpg

Short-ish update, got basically "step 1" of the instructions done. . . this is the bottom tray of the car, the engine block and transmission/wishbones on the rear:

20190112_205625.thumb.jpg.a79911bbef86d1099e27e90b783a51c8.jpg20190112_205634.thumb.jpg.4c46924b25f3a0074c3ac24e8969b747.jpg

To answer a few previous questions: I have no idea how related to the Tamiya kit this one is, but I suspect they are not related at all. . . This is due to how Tamiya typically sets up the attachment points for wheels (ya know, inner wheel spikes, with a rubber washer that goes into the brakes to allow builders to have rolling wheels). . . .The mold isn't the most crisp and clean I've seen, plenty of mold lines to clean up on most everything I've clipped so far, dry fitting can be a "pain" because how tight the contact posts are with their matching holes. . . However with that tightness, once you get glue in there, things slide together quite nicely.

Some progress over the weekend, got the cabin mostly done. . . Strangely, the kit is made with doors that nominally can open, yet it did not come with the three pedal setup that most kits do for the drivers' side. . . . Ultimately, I cannibalized the pedal setup from the PE upgrade kit I bought for my Lancia 037 build, as those doors do not open (nor does the interior appear to be overly visible).  Additional 'bummer' moments with this kit include the fact that there are no decals for the setabelts, door interior is incomplete (will be attempting to copy the door liner bit from the Lancia kit again, it may not technically be correct, but it will look better than a hollow void in the door area).  There are even further areas where proper detail is lacking, namely in the wheel arches/well area. . . Essentially when you build the cabin, you have a blocky front/rear panel, and when you attach the body, there are massive intentional gaps/holes that are not covered even when the wheel and tire assembly is installed, so, this kit is turning more and more into some early scratch building efforts on my part, and I hope that they come out pretty well to at least mask the lack of detail in the actual kit.

Edited by Ensis Ferrae
additional info