Model Cars Magazine Forum

two tone suggestion

I have done a few two tone paint job with success.  I am wanting my next one to b perfect. I use Tamiya paints.  I want to paint a car black (top) and silver (bottom). i have 3M fine line tape and Green 3M 2 inch masking tape.  What color is suggested to paint first?  i am trying to have no bleed through anywhere.  Any suggestions to accomplish this?

In painting the real thing we always painted the lightest color first and masked that off. Bleed was generally found in areas where tape lapped over other tape, I used the back side of a single edged razor blade to make sure it was tucked in well, going over any rises and bumps. It also helps to not direct the spray facing any weak spots and shoot straight onto taped areas otherwise. Don't test the ability of the tape by directing the spray at the seam lines at an angle towards them all. Obviously on a model you will get some cross direction angles, unavoidable to some degree. Make sure your tape is tucked in nice and tight.

Edited by Dave G.

After you've painted the light color and it is thoroughly dry, mask it off. Apply a light coat of clear to the edge of the tape, let that dry, then paint the dark color.

The clear coat will help seal the edge of the masking tape, and if any bleed-through occurs, it will be the clear paint.

Adding to what David said, another tip to try is paint some clearcoat on the edges of the tape before you paint. The clear can act as a barrier against any run-under and when you pull the tape away it should give you a nice straight edge.

Speaking of tape, there's only two types of masking I'll trust. BMF and Tamiya tape. BMF while a bit expensive can't be beat for giving you the cleanest edge possible, especially if you plan on doing tiny trim for instance.

Here are pics of an '05 Mustang I built.......I wanted dual stripes and I found the Tamiya tape to be excellent for that.

Pb120790-vi.jpg
Pb120792-vi.jpg
PB120794-vi.jpg
Pc160840-vi.jpg

The clear film you see is Parafilm. Excellent for masking off areas, not so great for getting defined edges.

You mentioned the liquid decal film. I've had trouble with that in the past as it didn't play nice with certain types of paints. Namely water based acrylics. One caveat is to make sure that the paint is completely dry before putting it on, even so I've not found it to be great for giving you those nice, straight and clean edges.

HTH!

Edited by MrObsessive

1 minute ago, BigTallDad said:

After you've painted the light color and it is thoroughly dry, mask it off. Apply a light coat of clear to the edge of the tape, let that dry, then paint the dark color.

The clear coat will help seal the edge of the masking tape, and if any bleed-through occurs, it will be the clear paint.

HA! Great minds think alike! :lol:   

32 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

HA! Great minds think alike! :lol:   

And agreeing with Bill on using Tamiya Tape and BMF for your fine edge.  Lately I've been using the Tamiya tape for my two tones. It gives a great edge!  It is a bit expensive so you can use it just for the edge, then mask off the rest of the car with painters blue tape.  

IMG 0521small

Here's an example-  In the top photo that's the Tamiya tape. The part above the tape line on the C Panel was then just covered with Painter's Blue tape.

IMG 0534

And the results. Notice that even that little detail on the fender came out right!

Please remove the Green tape from your hobby area. This tape is good for painting the walls in the bathroom, but it will give you more problems with you models than you want to deal with. I have had it mess up good paint that was under it. It does not stick well, it makes very poor lines, it screws up any paint it touches, etc. Get good Tamyia tape and forget the green stuff

7 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Big Tall is right ..

I always use tamiya tape as first edge,  then you can us that green stuff off that..

G7lRfOe.jpg

Dark over light