Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O International F2674, D8H and lowboy trailer

I guess the advantage of building 3 kits at once is that while you are waiting on one thing, you can work on another. Right now I am waiting on the paint on the cab and hood of the truck to fully dry. Due to the weather where I am at, this could take a while.

So, this has allowed me to get back to the Dozer.

I needed to modify the lower rollers, the shaft that comes with the kit is just too small and leaves a huge gap and just looks bad. So, as you can see from the pictures, I cut off the old shafts, drilled them out and installed 1/8in styrene shafts that fit tight.

The engine is getting some details, fuel lines etc. I had to remove the turbo to do this, and it lets me make a copy of it for another Dozer kit I got that is missing the turbo.

The Hydraulic cylinders for the front were in bad need of some details. I redid the ends, added some bolt detail, added some beads for the hydraulic lines, added a hard line and pivot pins. The shafts for the cylinders will be 3/32 Aluminum tube. It fits nice and looks great. They will be long enough that I do not need to put stops on the ends, they will not come out far enough to pull out.

I made a new exhaust stack. This will attach directly to the top of the turbo instead of the hood like in the kit. A little flapper finishes it off. It will be hit with some rust to make it look right.

The design of the track pivots was not what I wanted. It was difficult to get it all together and painted and work right. So, I replaced it with aluminum pivots. I will make pins for later. It also helps to get everything aligned the right way.

I will have more pictures soon of the other stuff I have been working on.

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

Construction begins on the R.O.P.S. I had to cut some stuff off and add a thick .060 sheet, this would be a scale 1 1/2 in thick plate on the rear. It is as close to what I can find pictures of as I can get. They used a very heavy plate as the foundation for the R.O.P.S.

At this point I am not sure about the back. I have looked at over 100 pictures of Dozers used in fire fighting. Some have a winch, some have a ripper and many have nothing. The ripper I have for this Dozer is pretty bad. Broken and missing parts. So, I may try to make a winch, or I may just leave it plain, either would be correct.

I still need to fix the bottom between the track mounts where the old ripper was glued on with half a tube of glue.

I have also done some work on the arms for the blade. I added some details at the rear mount area. I have also added some metal foil. The idea here is that I will paint over the top of it, then when I weather it I will sand/scratch down to it and expose the "Metal".

This should give it the fresh use look. There will be slight rust, but I want it to look like it just finished dozing fire lines. In this case the rust would all be rubbed off and there would be clean steel exposed.

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

The paint on the Cab and hood are now dry and I was able to make more progress on them. I had to make all new glass, the glass that was in it had to be removed with a Dremel and nasty cutting bit. I was able to save enough to use as a template, but could have done without it. It is all flat sheet clear.

I had sanded off the marker light that were molded into the cab. I am glad I did. Trying to paint them would have been hard, and the 1:1 lights are flush with the cab. So, Italeri Scania 143 had some perfect decals that I did not need, and even gave me the ones on the side of the cab.

Some decal are in the works thanks to a generous member here and those will go one when they arrive. Once those are on, I will decide if I will add some other decals from the AMT rescue van set. There are some fancy scrolls and numbers, stripes and other details. If I do, they will go on  the truck and trailer, not the dozer.

In the picture it is mocked up, not glued. I still need to correct some fit issues. Its close, but off by about .030.

The windshield wipers are not on right now, because they are missing. I don't remember if they were there in the beginning or not, will have to go look at the pictures.  If I can't find them, I will cast some from another kit. I have a Ertl 4300 and they should be the same.

A few more details and the truck will be done. A long way left on the Dozer and the trailer is just a bag of parts right now.

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

On 3/5/2019 at 10:11 PM, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

Very beautiful builds going love the red. 

What color red is that ?  

Rustoleum Goss Apple Red. I sprayed it, let it cure for almost 2 weeks and then sanded it with 8000 to get it really smooth, then hit it with some Future. It looks pretty good.

I have made some progress on the truck.

I have it about 90% done. I still have some details to do and install the decals when they arrive. Need to make a Suzi tower and wires. Need to do something about the front bumper, it is just sitting there and is in the original paint from when I got it. It is OK, but just not as good as I would like. I put the other mirror on after the picture.

I made some spring style mud flap hangers. I drilled out the muffler and used some 3/16 Aluminum tube polished for the stack. I added a diamond tread plate form the parts box. All lights are from the parts box, none of the originals were in good shape, or missing.

I drilled the 5th wheel and have it so it will pivot. I don't like just gluing it in one spot, I want it to pivot like the real thing. So it does. All glass was destroyed in the disassembly due to the massive amount of glue used. So, it is all thin sheet from Hobby Lobby. To mee it looks better because it is closer to the thickness of the stock glass in scale.

Anyway, it is getting there.

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

Well, not a lot to report here, but I have been moving forward. I got the trailer put back together. It was in pieces because the previous owner had done a very poor job. Huge gaps, tones of glue, mold lines everywhere, sprue tabs, and total misalignment.

Now it is back together and is not perfect but as good as I can do with what I had to work with. Some parts I just could not get apart due to the massive amount of glue. Those I had to just sand in place or do what I could.

I found some real thin Balsa wood at a Airplane hobby shop in town. I may use it to replace the wood on the deck. I can stain it and even dent it up a bit. I still have the original deck "wood" so if it turns out bad, I can try to make the plastic "wood" look good.

I plan to add some Foil to some area where the tracks of the Dozer would run. This way I can scratch up the paint down to bare metal to look like the real thing.

As it is, its not real impressive, but it is progress.

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

Coming along good.  For wood for the deck, check out hobby lobby, look in the doll house section and find the flooring they have, there is a nice ‘sheet’ of ‘hard wood’ that looks pretty good for decking. I’ll try to post a pic later, I used it on mine.

• 1 month later...

So, this has been a slow month for modeling. The sun is coming out here and the weather is getting nice and my brain is more focused on my Motorcycle and motorcycle trips this summer than on building models. ADHD sucks sometimes.

However I did get the trailer painted and played with some deck options. These are made out of Popsicle sticks. It puts the 1:25 scale size to just over 7in wide. 

I did some light weathering and scratching through to the "Metal" BMF I put under the paint. Still have more to do, but it is getting there.

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

On 3/7/2019 at 6:41 PM, Oldmopars said:

Rustoleum Goss Apple Red. I sprayed it, let it cure for almost 2 weeks and then sanded it with 8000 to get it really smooth, then hit it with some Future. It looks pretty good.

:o:o:o

"Looks pretty good", you're being WAY to modest!!!!!   The paint looks deep enough to use for a mirror!!!!   FANTASTIC!!!!

DJ