Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Chevelles

RDean58

I really like the color of this one, Tamiya Pearl green, but I don't like how the frame fits into the body. I think this one will be regulated to the get rid of pile once Revell releases their 69 Chevelle kit (it's coming, I'm sure of it).

In the meantime, you can see what frustrates me about these AMT 69 kits.

69_Chev_Coupe_01.jpg

69_Chev_Coupe_02.jpg

The wheels don't look the same on either side of the model.

Playing around here a bit, will that Revell frame fit the AMT 69 Chevelle convertible body?

69_Chev_Cvt_03.jpg

69_Chev_Cvt02.jpg

69_Chev_Cvt01.jpg

I think the answer is yes :-)

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed.

17 hours ago, RDean58 said:

I really like the color of this one, Tamiya Pearl green, but I don't like how the frame fits into the body. I think this one will be regulated to the get rid of pile once Revell releases their 69 Chevelle kit (it's coming, I'm sure of it).

In the meantime, you can see what frustrates me about these AMT 69 kits.

69_Chev_Coupe_01.jpg

69_Chev_Coupe_02.jpg

The wheels don't look the same on either side of the model.

Playing around here a bit, will that Revell frame fit the AMT 69 Chevelle convertible body?

69_Chev_Cvt_03.jpg

69_Chev_Cvt02.jpg

69_Chev_Cvt01.jpg

I think the answer is yes :-)

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed.

You fixed the front marker lights on the green version. AMT made a mess of the body sides.

I like the Pearl Green color as well as the Blue Convertible. I agree with you about the Frame hanging to low on this and many more kits. The thing to remember is that the 1:1 cars the bottom 1" or so of the Frame does show. The factory usually shot a little, very little, Flat Black on this area. If you were to look at a Chevelle that had an inexpensive respray you would really notice this since most production shops didn't bother to mask off the Frame or respray it Black. So this may be closer to true than we think. 

43 minutes ago, RDean58 said:

Nope, I did not do a thing to the marker lights on either body.

I don't see any front marker lights on the blue body. :wacko:

That said, I think AMT retooled the marker lights on this body at some point. Runs in my mind that the ones I built in 1969 had 1968-type markers, while newer reissues have more correct representations of the 1969 style. I have a Countdown issue (late '70s) body somewhere but don't remember if they'd been changed by that time or not. 

Edited by Snake45

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I don't see any front marker lights on the blue body. :wacko:

That said, I think AMT retooled the marker lights on this body at some point. Runs in my mind that the ones I built in 1969 had 1968-type markers, while newer reissues have more correct representations of the 1969 style. I have a Countdown issue (late '70s) body somewhere but don't remember if they'd been changed by that time or not. 

I seem to remember the early versions had 68 front marker lights too. I think ERTL fixed it on the hardtop. but my Round2 convertible is wrong