Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Thought about the Magazine, etc.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:03 PM, Classicgas said:

I appreciate the forum as well, but nonetheless enjoy magazines. I am a big time print reader.

I am physically unable to eat lunch without a modeling mag to read while eating.

I agree with those of you who'd like to see the magazine in its paper form, as I'm a hold-it-in-my-hand and turn-the-pages kind of guy myself.

BUT...if Gregg's ongoing and undoubtedly very painful and debilitating medical issues, and financial problems remaining from the ex-printer pullout are making it almost impossible to continue in the paper format, it might be time to cut losses and move on with a plan that's realistically workable. As the saying goes, the first thing to do when you find you're in a hole is to stop digging.

Obviously, many here would pay something for access to this site, as I would. Some, most certainly the current subscribers, would pay for access to "premium" content.

I'm not advocating making this a pay site across the board, but adding a "subscribers only" section that's only accessible to those paid-up folks, and reducing the cost of publication by putting what would have been in the mag in an online format, could go a long way towards meeting the financial obligation Gregg has to give subscribers SOMETHING, at least in the short term, and setting it up should be relatively easy.

Is that a perfect solution? No, as Gregg wants to continue publishing a hard-copy entity, and subscribers want it too. But the reality of the situation is just getting worse for everyone concerned with every passing day.

But it IS a workable solution, one that removes currently impossible hurdles from Gregg's path, and gets subscribers something for their money...at least until Gregg's issues become manageable and it's actually possible to get back in the print game on a timely basis.

Just a thought...

What I miss most from the Mag are Larry Greenberg's Kit reviews. He is one of the most knowledgeable reviewers out there IMHO, and a great historian of the hobby. I wish Gregg could get those reviews online. I'd gladly pay for those.  I know that Larry used to have a website with some reviews, but it is long gone.

21 hours ago, peekay said:

"I personally would be willing to pay a fee to belong to a forum such as this one" 

I think we've all made this suggestion.   I remember Harry saying that they didn't want to charge for the site because it would empower some of the instigators that they had "rights" to post garbage.

^^^  @ alexis        There are probably a lot of people who would contribute high quality content. Getting paid for online content could be worked out to be fair to all parties, I'm sure. It's done all the time, all over the planet.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just now, Tom Geiger said:

I think we've all made this suggestion.   I remember Harry saying that they didn't want to charge for the site because it would empower some of the instigators that they had "rights" to post garbage.

Every site on Earth has enforceable "terms of service". That's not a valid excuse.

I remember when Harry passed and we had this same discussion over a year ago. My opinion on the subject (which has the same value as anyone else's posting here) is that the Forum is the here and now.  The pure effort involved to put out the magazine has obviously become too much.  I don't want to do it, and I'm pretty sure no one else is going to come forward and offer to attempt to publish it themselves.  I don't have the answer other than the magazine has become a "distraction" in the dedication of limited resources (time especially and as importantly,  money).  Bill has some great ideas about the topic and they should be seriously considered.  The magazine has always been a good read and informative, but beyond the pictures, why can't the content and information be shared here on the forum going forward.  An "Editor's Corner"  could be something added wherein featured builders or how-to articles could be on a pay basis.  Or something like that.   The "Editor" could post whenever time permits and offer insights based upon forum member suggestions / requests.  With no attendant demands upon themselves.  The best part of the notion is that there are no constraints on what you might do and how to do it.  Let your imagination run wild and try some things.  Some will be popular and catch on quickly, and others will flop...........use the knowledge garnered from the magazine itself and glean what was most important and attempt to work it in here.  When making a commitment to provide a product (the magazine) on a stated date or number of publications annually, you set yourself up for criticism and disappointment.  Instead of tarnishing a good reputation by continually missing said publications, make life easier for yourself and improve the product you(we) have and share. That being the Forum.   Whew, sorry bout' that this post but the real jewel in the crown as I've proposed all along is the Forum and that Gregg and others could benefit as well in dedicating themselves to one OR the other, not attempting both.   Cheers fellas

On 1/12/2019 at 1:21 PM, peekay said:

"I personally would be willing to pay a fee to belong to a forum such as this one"  Steven Guthmiller.

I SO agree!

I would also pay to belong to this forum, its very important to me....

16 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I am sure rules could be made or follow the same ones we have...

23 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

23 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Every site on Earth has enforceable "terms of service". That's not a valid excuse.

I didn't say it was, just reporting what I was told. 

We already have people who think, "I'm an American and I have freedom of speech!"    Add to that,  "Hey I'm PAYING for this service!"

Always like having a magazine for many reasons. Bring it with me in the car so I can read while waiting for someone/something, at the airport, lying in bed, etc. Don't want to haul around a laptop for that. But, I do use the laptop for the forum and will support both the magazine and forum as long as I can and always hope they both will continue.

42 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Always like having a magazine for many reasons. Bring it with me in the car so I can read while waiting for someone/something, at the airport, lying in bed, etc. Don't want to haul around a laptop for that. But, I do use the laptop for the forum and will support both the magazine and forum as long as I can and always hope they both will continue.

Mmmmm hmmmmm. Well, according to a poster on another concurrent thread  "Actually there were 2 issues in  2017 and one in 2018.".

My suggestion above is for an interim solution, to allow Gregg to give paid-up subscribers something for their money in the short term (removing some of what must be severe stress from his life) while he recovers from his debilitating medical problems and financial difficulties. The paper format may very well come back in the future, but if the present situation is any indication, it won't be the NEAR future.

And wishful thinking usually accomplishes exactly nothing.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've seen other model car "magazines" on Amazon.  They seem to be fewer pages but without ads.  Basically they have in depth articles of various builds.  This price is per issue so there is no subscription.  Perhaps this could work - no prepayment required.  I'm not sure what the upfront costs are and if a certain number of issues have to be ordered but if it like other self publishing sites there may be no minimum quantity and I assume the printer handles the mailing.  With respect to the website - it maybe self funding, i.e, the advertisers are paying for it and the content is provided by the users.  As long as the moderators work for free it should be able to go on without the users funding it.  Getting contributors to write professional articles for no payment would be a problem but I'm sure everyone would agree there is a wealth of knowledge on the forum and the users seem to be very willing to share everything and anything to keep the hobby going.  I'm sure many on here would say they feel like they know the regulars even if they have never met them in person.

Cheers

Gregg has floated the idea of a paywall for this site and it gets overwhelmingly shot down.  A large number of those who object are non subscribers.  Perhaps it is time for some tough love.  I don't know as I am not in the know as to what is going on.

I will say that some more communication on the Model Cars Magazine site might go a long way to helping people understand what is happening with the magazine.  It was mentioned that Gregg had another medical procedure and it was posted on Facebook.  Why not post it here as well?  I made a post earlier in this thread about the magazine, and had I known what Gregg was going through, I would not have posted what I did or would have stated it much differently.

One cannot control everything, but one does himself a great dis-service by not controlling the flow of information as others will gladly fill the vacuum.  When others fill the vacuum, the flow of information usually becomes distorted to say the least.

1 minute ago, Jim N said:

...One cannot control everything, but one does himself a great dis-service by not controlling the flow of information as others will gladly fill the vacuum.  When others fill the vacuum, the flow of information usually becomes distorted to say the least.

Well stated. In ANY business venture, ESPECIALLY one that is in difficulty, timely and accurate communication is absolutely "job one".

Ive never subscribed to an digital magazine. I know they are out there and have thought about the idea.

Because I follow forums on F1 racing(for example) I get some information on what is going on in that world

but there is always content that is not available unless you subscribe to one of them, that is understandable.

The online business model of magazines is something I have no knowledge of and probably won't save a floundering 

publication, or would it.       Anybody here subscribe to e-zeen's?

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER
geez, punctuation again.

1 hour ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

...Anybody here subscribe to e-zeen's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_publishing

I do. Several, actually. Technical and engineering publications I USED to get in paper format, that would sit on my desk for months at a time. I felt bad about throwing them out unread, but irrationally resisted getting the digital equivalents instead.

I LIKE reading a hard copy of something, holding it in my hands, turning the pages, etc. So I resisted.

But after a while, it seemed it made a lot more sense to go digital for some things. And now, I can just check in to the sites whenever I have a free moment, catch up on what I have a particular interest in, ignore the rest, and be back at it. Kinda like coming here.

It simply costs less, significantly less, to bring an E-publication to "press". No paper. No printing, no ink, no plates (or whatever they use to print today). No packaging. No postage, or getting lost or damaged in the mail. And no irritatingly endless waiting for the next issue.

The problem at MCM, as I see it currently, is Gregg's continuing debilitating physical issues preventing him from going through the physical motions of making all of that happen, and a lack of sufficient capital to pay for all of it in the face of shrinking revenues. Add to that the financial obligation to provide paid-up-subscribers with SOMETHING for their money, and you have an untenable situation.

There are people on this site who ALREADY provide professional-level copy and photos FOR FREE. Some are folks who USED to be frequent contributors to the print mag. 

And there are IT people here who could surely help Gregg transition to a walled-off segment of THIS site that's ONLY available to paid subscribers, with "premium" content, if they'd step up to help...just a little.

Would such a strategy save and revitalize MCM? Who knows?

But doing nothing and expecting a miracle certainly will not.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• Xingu locked this topic