Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O. Peterbilt 352

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

One of my favorite trucks! Looking forward to more! Welcome to the Build Off!

I love it too.  It was the very first big rig I ever built when I was a teenager (about 40 years ago).  I search my parents' house every time I get back there to try and find it again but haven't had any luck.  I built it straight out of the box -- no paint -- but I didn't care.  It was just fun to build. 

This kit has a bad case of "chrome-itis".  LOL.   Will need to restock my Easy-Off oven cleaner.

Of course it's been too long, but I don't remember the original release (same box art) having the Detroit 8V engine ?   I just don't remember.

Got some of the engine together this weekend, and got the frame rails and cross members cleaned up.  Also got some chrome stripping done... seriously ?  a chrome oil cooler ?  chrome headers ?

Had to really work on the cross members to get them "square" (they were actually "V" shaped).  Luckily the ejector pin marks on the frame rails were easy to get to and clean up.  I'm not crazy about the fact that there isn't a "positive alignment" with the cross members and the frame rails to make sure the frame is straight and square (i.e. bosses or pins).

Anyway...  "east bound and down, loaded up and truckin'"  :-)

352.jpg

Well..  spent the afternoon down at the bench.  Mostly more clean-up on this "flash monster", so not much to show for 4 hours of work I'm afraid.

Had the 1985 Valleydale Meats 500 race on to watch while I worked - so that was nice.

Next weekend the frame is going to get glued to together so hopefully will have more to show then.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the frame mostly glued together this weekend while watching the 1987 Atlanta 500 and the Motorcraft 500 races.  Also got some of the other suspension parts cleaned up and the axles together.  

I need some help on a couple items -- I've posted that in the "Truck Stop" board.

progress.jpg

• 1 month later...