Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Bel Air Convertible

ZombieDave

Please move if not in the right place. I was looking at my local Hobby Lobby and couldn't find even a label that showed that they still carried the 51 Chevy convertible. I'm not up to model news and was wanting to get this one. Anyone know if I'm too late to get it in the stores or if it's discontinued or maybe where I could find this information?

This was the most recent reissue, released in January 2017, so it's probably out of stock at places which have a quick rate of product turnaround. Still plenty to be found online-- eBay, etc. The newer release is probably worth seeking out for the better tires, if nothing else:

s-l1600.jpg

This version, AMT #608, was released in November 2008:

d36631e0011919b1198c80c63308243d.jpg

Well, here's a neat build idea for that kit.  The bright yellow '51 Chevy convertible that Steve McQueen drove in the 1980 movie "The Hunter."  As he often did, McQueen bought the car after the movie wrapped, just because he liked it.  In 2013, it sold for $84, 000.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/03/25/steve-mcqueens-chevrolet-sells-for-84000/

I have one of these Convertibles (though it's going to be built with a Hardtop body) and several Hardtops. Don't know if there is something wrong with the hood, other than two of my hoods are warped and not fitting correctly between the front fenders. Don't know if it's just bad luck or if it's a common problem with these kits.

Anyway, these are great kits with lots of potential for different kinds of builds.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:38 PM, Mike999 said:

Well, here's a neat build idea for that kit.  The bright yellow '51 Chevy convertible that Steve McQueen drove in the 1980 movie "The Hunter."  As he often did, McQueen bought the car after the movie wrapped, just because he liked it.  In 2013, it sold for $84, 000.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/03/25/steve-mcqueens-chevrolet-sells-for-84000/

Huh, so THAT was the inspiration for Round 2's most recent box art!

Learned something new (and useless) today...:P

McQueenChevrolet_06_700.jpg

AMT1041-2.jpg