Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sunbeam Tiger MkII 1967 Race Car

r60man

My local club has an upcoming theme, "Anything 1967". I pretty much only build race cars and unusual subjects so when I saw this AMT kit I snapped it up. The Sunbeam Tiger was produced from 1964 to 1967. 1967 was the only year that the Mk II was produced. While the body remained the same for the Mk II the engine was upgraded from the 260 ci engine to the 289 ci. Luckily the blocks were the same size so the 260 engine that came with the kit can be build as the 289. I plan on plumbing and wiring the engine as well as scratch building headers for this one.

engine.JPG.ad5562834685f1d20119c93eee78c2e9.JPG

I plan on drilling out the spark plug holes before painting the engine.

5c3a91988484f_PeteHalafordMotor.jpg.0e292cdf981f8b672d11e0af34a0cf65.jpg

While this is a more modern version I will use this for the wiring diagram and location of the spark plug holes.

sunbeam-tiger-21.jpg.73209af114283090789ee707914e6961.jpg

Here is the engine at home in the Sunbeam. Being a race car the engine bay will be a little cleaner and more sparse.

box1.JPG.2fdf1afed6a593f6f5022ec6a2965dde.JPG

Here is the box art. But it also comes with the "custom" pieces to produce this:

box2.JPG.11bb1ddf86cbe977c5411935a33f9325.JPG

I will most likely scratch build a roll cage instead of the fiberglass version. Also the body will have all of the side stripes and markers deleted. This should be a fun build and I m looking forward to it.

Sounds like fun John. I'm currently building that kit for the Peking to Paris Community Build. Be aware that there are some fitment issues with this kit. I recommend test fitting everything before putting it to paint or glue. The engine was in fact the best fitting of all of the subassemblies. G'luck!

25 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

Looking good so far. Are you planning to change the grille and headlights to reflect the 1:1 changes?

I will most likely be deleting the headlights and just blanking them out. The grill for the MK II was basically a straight up and down waffle pattern. I am searching for something to replicate that, I think fiberglass screening may be the best. Because I am building a race car I do have a lot of freedom to vary from the original. 

3 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Sounds like fun John. I'm currently building that kit for the Peking to Paris Community Build. Be aware that there are some fitment issues with this kit. I recommend test fitting everything before putting it to paint or glue. The engine was in fact the best fitting of all of the subassemblies. G'luck!

I have discovered that, but thanks for the heads up. I usually put everything together before glue just for those reasons.

Yes, the oil fill would be through the valve cover; at least one breather per cover.

On a side note, I'm not sure how far you want to go with this build and whether you're trying to be period/rules correct, but If you're really intending on going "full race" you could even do a Weber carb set-up like an FIA Cobra.

Image result for 289 fia cobra weber

Finally got some build time tonight. I have decided that this will be a full out race car. Meaning that all this stuff needs to go. Door handles, trim strip, the tiger on the side and the side marker lights need to go. Also the Sunbeam on the front and back of the car. Gone.

topback.JPG.89d04d7b6d21e1033bf0a59354a926a5.JPG

aftersand.JPG.b847b257ac49d790158369a14e374daf.JPG

And so now they are. A lot of work, about two hours worth. I have not done the finer sanding yet. Then puddy in deep places then primer. Then fix up the bad spots that primer didn't hide. I also took the opportunity to deepen the door lines.

topsand2.JPG.01b370f04a4d2da72c6f9d6719b333c7.JPG

There was a lot of flash on this, and that had to go too. Down the top front the fender was basically pointy from the flash.

Yuck.JPG.af4394e2b230a41d4b61d36df84291d2.JPG

Not sure how I am going to tackle this. I already sanded down the back of the hood and it still isn't sitting right. I do not think the hood is curved properly. I may be able to trim down some of the apron. I was thinking of building this with the hood opening. The Sunbeam hood is hinged at the front, so if I display it this way I would not have to worry about it too much, but that seems like cheating. Helpful hits would be very appreciated.

side.JPG

Side before the sanding.

topview.JPG

Top before the flashectomy.

Edited by r60man
Needed to add text.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Hmmm, I don't think I had that problem with this one. Was working on it again as recently as a couple months ago and I don't recall any hood fit issues (but the windshield frame doesn't seem to want to stay in one piece). 

Alpine01.jpg.a7d39f736b035288c31891f4caa737f8.jpg

Well sure.  The Alpine hood fits better since it doesn't have to clear that V8.  ?

4 minutes ago, JJ Deuce said:

Well sure.  The Alpine hood fits better since it doesn't have to clear that V8.  ?

This kit might well have had a completely different hood. It DID have a hole cut in it for a pop-up Minigun. (I've filled the ill-fitting doors in here, of course.) B)

On 1/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, JJ Deuce said:

I have the same issue with the hood on my WIP.   I took a bit of material from under the leading edge and it helped a little but not much.  I think you're correct that the curvature isn't correct

So if the curvature isn't right, could I heat it with a heat gun and bend it some more? Has anyone done this? How do I know when it is hot enough?