Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are We Completely Frustrated

TarheelRick

"

Subscription Price Increase for 2019:

Due to the increased cost of printing and postage, we have had to increase our subscription rates. The new rates will be in effect from January 2019 forward. For one year, it’s $30 for six issues, and $50 for two years (12 issues). " 

OK, this is becoming absurdly ridiculous.  We have not had an issue in almost a year, and now the subscription rates are going up.  There was a promise of issue #206 supposedly coming in September/October, yet have not seen or heard anything since then.  I may be out of line here and possibly removed from the forum for my next comment.  If the magazine is going belly-up, then tell us and stop leading us on with hollow promises.  I realize management has health issues, but if he cannot continue then let us know.  This magazine was one of the best in the hobby and the articles were geared toward the builder.  I was a buyer for many years and finally became a subscriber in 2012, even then knowing delivery was a hit or miss proposition.  So, where are we now - hit or miss?

I have seen around 2,or 3 issues at a local Barnes and Noble in the last year.I bought them both.But really,who needs a "paper" magazine,when we have got this great website.Don't get me wrong,I really do like magazines,but in this case,you have to admit that this forum is much better any model magazine.

I renewed my subscription right after receiving #205.  At the rate Gregg is going, that subscription should be good for another 6 years at least.  I think I read somewhere that if you request a subscription refund, you get banned from this forum.

40 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

I renewed my subscription right after receiving #205.  At the rate Gregg is going, that subscription should be good for another 6 years at least.  I think I read somewhere that if you request a subscription refund, you get banned from this forum.

Jim, I won a MCM sub at one of your Billetproof shows. What three-four years ago? I've yet to recieve six issues. 

The one-two punch of losing Harry P and Golden Bell Press hit Gregg hard and he has yet to recover. His ongoing health issues only add to problem. 

I am not excusing what has happened, just shedding some light on the situation for  those that may not have been here as long. Hopefully this forum continues as it is such a useful resource.

I understand the issues that Gregg has faced. The increase rates is understandable but I see it as a moot point. Sorry just don't see that many new subscriptions happening.  What needs to happen is to reduce the number of issues to say four a year.  It would take some stress off of Gregg and also be a more realistic expectation at this point. If that goal can be reached in this year then people will be more willing to subscribe.

Charging for access to forum is a good idea however something has to be done for those who contribute.  Those that contribute meaningful information are what is going to get users to subscribe.

Love the magazine but this is ridiculous! I can't get the issues I payed for yet you want to increase the price? I haven't seen one since #205. I payed for 6 , got 3 or 4. I'll renew when I get what i payed for. Be glad to renew then! 

On January 14, 2019 at 7:58 AM, crazyjim said:

Seriously? No excuse for that kind of bs. I don't care what kind of problems he has.

20 hours ago, Super28 said:

Love the magazine but this is ridiculous! I can't get the issues I payed for yet you want to increase the price? I haven't seen one since #205. I payed for 6 , got 3 or 4. I'll renew when I get what i payed for. Be glad to renew then! 

The last one I got was #205, my subscription is though #211.  After I get issue #211, then I may consider a renewal..how many years off will that be?  

Gregg!!! Just let us know what in blue blazes is going on and those of us still due issues will get them BEFORE we have to pay again!! Love the magazine, but come on, keep us informed of whats going on! I suggest you start a thread on the forum here for us subscribers. That would save alot of questions from us and a resource for you to post updates. Sound good?

This topic has run it's course. Most of you have been here long enough to know the problems with getting the magazine printed and we all see the same negative comments from the same members.

All the long term members here know it is subscribe at your own risk. The new rates do not affect existing subscriptions. If the price is to steep for you, don't purchase a new subscription or renew when your existing subscription comes due.

Subscriptions are based on number of issues, not length of time. If you are already paid, you will get the number of issues you paid for, as long as the company stays in business.

• Xingu locked this topic