Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1977 Trans Am

It will be the one with the T-roof cutouts.  The annual (one on the left) was updated through 1981, and was last released as the 1979 model.  It could probably be reissued as a '77-'78, but the T-roof version is probably ready to go, so why bother with the other one?

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely the Blackbird. The annual is on the shelves right now as the '79.

IIRC, the Blackbird mold was created in response to the overwhelming sales of the '77 "special edition" issue of the annual. 

To keep the Blackbird on the shelves and be able to keep updating the annual tool, another separate tool was cut.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

Which kit is better, this one, or the Revell kit that is available now? I had one once, but never built it and I don't remember which one it was. As I recall, it wasn't a very good kit, and that's why I got rid of it.

I would say the revell is better as some of the fit of the mpc was little loose though neither has a very nice engine, though both kits have the exhaust and rear axle moulded as one. If you want it in 1/25 you would need the mpc as the revell is 1/24. The size difference between them is very noticable, I f I mind correctly there a half inch difference in width and about an inch in length

The MPC kit has their typical vague parts location and soft detail, but the body looks decent.   The ex-Monogram 1/24 Revell kit has a nice body, but simplified Monogram tooling.  The body in the new 1/25 Revell kit doesn't look right.  I would rather deal with one of the older kits and add detail than try to correct the new Revell body.

Edited by dodgefever

5 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I would say the revell is better as some of the fit of the mpc was little loose though neither has a very nice engine, though both kits have the exhaust and rear axle moulded as one. If you want it in 1/25 you would need the mpc as the revell is 1/24. The size difference between them is very noticable, I f I mind correctly there a half inch difference in width and about an inch in length

This is the Revell kit that's available now.

It IS NOT the old 1/24 Monogram kit in a different box that Revell's been selling since the companys merged. It's a newer 1/25 kit just released a coupe years ago. It's based on a diecast so the bottom of the body is a bit wider than it should be but it's pretty nice besides that.

I'm actually using one for a donor kit on a '74 Trans Am build I've started.

Image result for Revell blackbird trans am

Here's a couple pics of my '74 with the newer chassis trimmed to fit 

IMG 1675

IMG 1695

The old MPC kit can look good if you're willing to put a little extra work into it.

This one was built from the kit in question. I filled the T-tops and used a set of Pegasus tires with modified promo wheels. replaced the headlights with clear lenses.

149 4911

7 hours ago, Can-Con said:

This is the Revell kit that's available now.

It IS NOT the old 1/24 Monogram kit in a different box that Revell's been selling since the companys merged. It's a newer 1/25 kit just released a coupe years ago. It's based on a diecast so the bottom of the body is a bit wider than it should be but it's pretty nice besides that.

I'm actually using one for a donor kit on a '74 Trans Am build I've started.

Image result for Revell blackbird trans am

Here's a couple pics of my '74 with the newer chassis trimmed to fit 

IMG 1675

IMG 1695

That's the one I was talking about. It's on the shelves at Hobby Lobby now. Not sure if I'll buy it now, but if it is one that gets drastically reduced at reset time, I'd probably grab one.

Anyone got pics of the rest of it?