Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two chrome platers left - which do you prefer?

So now that Chrome Tech has shut down, that leaves us with The Little Motor Kar Co. and GT Kustom Krome. From your experience, which do you prefer and how do they compare for quality, pricing, turnaround time and whether you can mount your own parts? Three of us from the LMMCC want to put a pretty good-sized order together.

Also, if you know of any other vacuum platers, let's hear about them too.

Over to the experts. Thanks!

Edited by ChrisBcritter

This was posted on the udder board... 

1-6-2019

Dear fellow modelers,

After Chrome Tech announced their closing many people recently found that the Little Motor Kar Co. does chrome work for the modeling community. We have been recently inundated with new customer inquiries.

The Little Motor Kar Co has been doing chrome work since 1995. We have never advertised nor pushed to increase our footprint since it was never intended to be a full-time business. That should not be viewed as a small success as it is quite the opposite.

One of the features we have always prided ourselves upon is the turnaround time for processing. We have always tried to keep it to two or, at the most, three weeks. We do not believe that it is fair to our loyal, long time customers to wait an extraordinary time for their work to be completed.

At seventy-nine years old I have no intent on this becoming a full-time job. We have always done all our work in-house and that will continue to be so.

Bearing this in mind any new customer work will be done on a “first come, first served” fill in basis AFTER our established customers are served. So, if you just found Little Motor Kar Co. please be aware of the priority your work must be given. It could possibly be a long wait.

Now would be a great time for a younger enterprising person to seize upon the opportunity to find a processor in their area and start a chroming service of their own as others have done. There seems to be room for two.

Dale Horner

Little Motor Kar Co. 

2 hours ago, styromaniac said:

Guess the advent of AllClad took a big chunk out of their business.

I don't think that had anything to do with it.

LMK and GT Kustom Khrome are to the point that they are so swamped that they can barely keep up.

My understanding is that Bob at Chrome Tech simply retired.

Steve

Surely there must be more custom chromers than two. Chrome plated plastic shows up on toys, lamp parts and bricka-brack everywhere, so I doubt it's a rare and fine art. I would think that just outside the industrial plastic chromers lies more than a handful of people with acquired knowledge and businesses that could add regular special orders from hobbyists, beyond just car guys.

3 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Surely there must be more custom chromers than two. Chrome plated plastic shows up on toys, lamp parts and bricka-brack everywhere, so I doubt it's a rare and fine art. I would think that just outside the industrial plastic chromers lies more than a handful of people with acquired knowledge and businesses that could add regular special orders from hobbyists, beyond just car guys.

I think that anybody who has the equipment to Vacuum metalize plastic will plate parts for you.

The issue arises with volume.

I had inquired with a company in California some years ago about the cost of plating a couple of 6x8 racks of parts.

I forget the actual price tag, but it would have been well over $100.00 per rack!

Much more than the average modeler will stomach.

The reason that guys like GT Kustom Khrome & Chrome Tech were able to keep the prices reasonable was because they send out their parts in bulk.

I've toyed with the thought of possibly starting a plating "middle man" business such as these, but the first task is to find a company with the equipment who will work with you & cut you a decent deal so that you can make it worth your time.

Steve

From the sounds of things, GT Kustom Khrome might be the better of the two as Dale has made it clear that he is not prepared to work long hours at his age, which I don't blame him for. And if I remember correctly, George at GT has already retired from one of the automakers so one has to wonder how long into his "golden years" he plans to work?

Much like The Modelhaus, once one of our beloved suppliers decides to retire, we have to learn to live without their services or hope someone else can fill the void. I am guessing Bob at Chrome Tech saw what happened to Don and Carol and decided to go off into the sunset without the last minute rush of orders to delay his retirement.

I really wish I knew how to purchase Dale Horners equipment.   Honestly, I don't even know what he has for equipment but I could probably put a couple of people to work doing the plating.  There are other coatings that are applied to plastics that are hard wear coatings on car parts and furniture.  I have a deal with a buddy in Apache Junction.  Perhaps the equipment could be set up there and the business operated.  It could be part of my Holy Grail Hobbies and Resin Emporium dream.  Purchasing equipment that I know is properly functioning would be great for me.  Can you hook me up with him?  I really need more physical help  with the resin casting I do.  I don't really get it.  I put a note out to the members of the two model car clubs here in the phoenix area to offer a decent paying job making model car parts to help build the business.  The response was like dead air and crickets chirping.  There could even be a night shift, so to speak.  I just need some resposible people to help.  It is not hard work either.  It is labor intensive though, but so is building a model. DUH!  You would think a model builder would love to have a part in the resin world.  Mike Schnur and Harold Oswald came over yesterday and made lots of good parts.  We have a lot of fun too.  I do appreciate their help.

Greg

1 hour ago, crazyjim said:

I'd help if you moved the operation to FL.

Thanks, I do appreciate the offer to help.  How about you move to Sunny, dry Aridzona to run the operation instead?  I can't get anybody to help make parts besides Mike and Harold.  Mike told me he has no interest as he has real car projects to do.  I just turned 61.  I know I don't want to do plumbing anymore but casting and plating I would do.  I am sure there is a lot to know about plating, especially when you know you can do other colors too.  I can't imagine what to do after a so called retirement is engaged in.  I am not just going to set around and turn to mush, you just can't stop breathing.  I have not asked Harold, maybe he would consider doing it.

4 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

I put a note out to the members of the two model car clubs here in the phoenix area to offer a decent paying job making model car parts to help build the business.  The response was like dead air and crickets chirping.  There could even be a night shift, so to speak.  I just need some resposible people to help.  It is not hard work either.  It is labor intensive though, but so is building a model. DUH!  You would think a model builder would love to have a part in the resin world.

Greg

Greg, I'm forwarding this to a very good prospect - let's see how it works out.

Thank you Cristopher,  I am certainly interested in how big the equipment is.  How much space I need to properly house it operate it. and of course, the cost.  There are other coatings that are applied to materials for hardness and wear in vehicles and furniture and the tool and die industry.  Here is an example .  I just don't have a million bucks for the equipment.

https://vergason.com/services/about-vtis-products/

Edited by Greg Wann

6 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

I really wish I knew how to purchase Dale Horners equipment.  .

Greg

Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think Dale is getting out of the business. he is suggesting that someone look into getting into the business to help shoulder the load with him and Kustom Khrome.

ChromeTech Bob is the one who retired.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

3 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

OK, I might have jumped the gun, but I still have a interest in the vacuuming plating process 

It's good to see that someone does.

This is one service that I really can't contemplate losing.

Building almost nothing but vintage kits like I do, parts plating is one of my absolute "must haves".

Nothing against Alclad & Molotow, but they're no substitute for the real thing.

Steve

Greg, if I lived near you I would gladly lend a hand and take my pay in resin stuff but I am 1,800 miles away! I appreciate your dedication to the hobby and the products you have brought to market. I still have those 67 Camaro convertible kits, hope to get one of them done yet this year!

8 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

OK, I might have jumped the gun, but I still have a interest in the vacuuming plating process 

Greg, not too long ago (in another section of the forum) we were discussing this same subject.  I'll quote my post there:

To get familiarized with the terms and processes,  some good info on both plating and metalizing (which is the process we want for plastic model parts) is in:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plating
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallizing

We don't even know for sure (or do we?) whether either Dale or Kystom Khrome own the vacuum metalizing equipment, or have it done by an outside company.  While I have no actual info, I suspect that the cost of the equipment might be a bit much for an individual to acquire, and start a business catering to modelers. If the equipment was cheap and easy to use, why would all of the current companies which offer this service to modelers outsource the metalizing to an outside company?

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Greg, if I lived near you I would gladly lend a hand and take my pay in resin stuff but I am 1,800 miles away! I appreciate your dedication to the hobby and the products you have brought to market. I still have those 67 Camaro convertible kits, hope to get one of them done yet this year!

Thank you Mike,

You have some 67 Camaro convertible bodies I made?  Are they made from the bright white resin I first started using?  How well are they holding up?  I am curious.

https://www.platingsales.com/index.html

I had a $5,000.00 check ready to send here but was talked out of purchasing the equipment.  I would like plating .  I have trouble staying focused on resin casting.  I have a horrible case of ADHD too.

Edited by Greg Wann

1 hour ago, Greg Wann said:

https://www.platingsales.com/index.html

I had a $5,000.00 check ready to send here but was talked out of purchasing the equipment.  I would like plating .  I have trouble staying focused on resin casting.  I have a horrible case of ADHD too.

That is not what you want Greg for "chroming" plastic or resin kit parts. I explained that in my earlier post. You need vacuum metalizing equipment.

If you want to go the electroplating route, even Micro-Mark (and other companies) sell setups for hobbyists. But not with real chromium (because that plating process requires some really nasty and poisonous chemicals).  Chrome plating also requires undercoating of copper, and possibly nickel (to get that smooth mirror-finish). Just like 1:1 metal car parts to.

Yes, that is one of the reasons I did not go for it.  Mostly it was about staying focused on the resin casting.  Unfortunately, I have too many interests!  I know I can't do it all, but if I had some equipment it might create a reasonably nice job for someone who has some sort of interest in model parts.  Once the equipment is operational other things can be metalized too.  There are color tints that can be mixed in as well.  I have some red and blue items that Louis Bernier sent to me from Canada some time ago.  He could do the chrome, red, blue, copper, gold and I think a black chrome as well.

Edited by Greg Wann