Model Cars Magazine Forum

Humbrol Acrylic spray paint ?

Have any of you used this ?  If so, how does it compare to Model Master or Tamiya lacquer and enamel spray paint ?

I'm asking because in the winter time, my wife just can't tolerate the paint fumes in the basement.  Even though I have an Artograph paint booth (but it's not vented to the outside), the remaining fumes are too much for her.  Her sinuses are really sensitive as she has had a couple of surgeries on them.   I really don't want to not do any models in the cold Wisconsin winters, but I have to find a "plan B" for those months that I can't spray paint in the garage.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Which artograph booth do u have ? I just ordered the 1530 for painting after talking w tbill who owns one and highly endorsed it. Venting it outdoors thru a window should handle most your fumes 

I've also used Createx Wicked Paints and love them..but their not  available in spray cans 

15 hours ago, Penguins87 said:

I haven't used Humbrol but have used Createx which is water based with good results. They must be airbrushed. On youtube there is several videos on how to spray them. I use their Wicked Colors line since it is more suited for plastics. 

What are you using for a primer under them?  or are you spraying them on bare plastic?

Thanks

13 hours ago, Penguins87 said:

With Createx I use any automotive primer. Or Createx has their own primer. It's called Autoborne Sealer. Good stuff.

Thanks -- I wasn't aware of that.  It kinda defeats the purpose of using acrylic paint if you have to first lay down an solvent-based primer.

I spray the primer outside from a rattle can. Then airbrush my colors inside. I have a spray booth vented outside. I tried not using primer but when masking two tone paint schemes often times the paint would pull off when removing the tape. The primer sticks to the plastic and paint sticks to the primer better. You only have to apply a light coat. That's just how I do it.