Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Pontiac GTO

NOBLNG

I'm starting on this one while things dry on my other projects. Has anyone done one of these? I searched and didn't find anything on here? It's not the greatest kit...part of the front fender wells and the frame are molded with the floor pan. The interior is a one-piece bucket with the center consol molded in place??? Oh well, I can't complain, I got it at the flea market for $2.00

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5627.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

I was working with this kit recently also.  If you plan to add the heater hoses you will need to create the connections on the front side.  The other thing I didnt like was the bumpers glue straight to the body so I wound up creating mounts from rod and tube.  I haven't decided on the carbs yet.  Either hide the kit ones under the air cleaner or find something on the aftermarket.

Good luck with your build and I'll definitely be following this one,

The thing to remember about this kit is that it was designed many years ago and it reflects kit designs of the day. The instructions also show how to make it a hardtop by removing the B pillar and some of the side window moldings if that is a consideration.  

2 hours ago, djflyer said:

I was working with this kit recently also.  If you plan to add the heater hoses you will need to create the connections on the front side.  The other thing I didnt like was the bumpers glue straight to the body so I wound up creating mounts from rod and tube.  I haven't decided on the carbs yet.  Either hide the kit ones under the air cleaner or find something on the aftermarket.

Good luck with your build and I'll definitely be following this one,

Thanks for the tips!

49 minutes ago, espo said:

The thing to remember about this kit is that it was designed many years ago and it reflects kit designs of the day. The instructions also show how to make it a hardtop by removing the B pillar and some of the side window moldings if that is a consideration.  

I am debating which way to go. I do like the hardtop look better.

5 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I got a start on the engine already. I can see from googling pics, that the upper rad hose connection is not correct but I think I will leave it as is. I will be wiring it though.

IMG_5636.JPG

If you're going the the trouble of wiring it, you might want to paint it the right color. Looks like you have it the Pontiac Engine Blue introduced in 1966. The earlier engines had a light nonmetallic blue.  

If you don't want to repaint, just tell people "I put a '66 engine in it." B)

43 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you're going the the trouble of wiring it, you might want to paint it the right color. Looks like you have it the Pontiac Engine Blue introduced in 1966. The earlier engines had a light nonmetallic blue.  

If you don't want to repaint, just tell people "I put a '66 engine in it." B)

I AM putting a 1966 engine in it from a later kit...:P

Edited by NOBLNG

Handsome car. These old Monogram GTOs actually build up very nicely. Paint detailing will go a LONG way to help the chassis. Even though the undersides and interior look simplified in the box, once properly painted they will surprise you. There have been some real beauties made with these kits.  Aftermarket tires are the best investment to upgrade the overall appearance, and since you have invested so little in the kit, you can  treat yourself! I'd love to find a few of these at that price!

Find a good barrier coat for that red plastic...

When this kit premiered in 1984 , 1985 , it was a HUGE improvement over Monogram's earlier efforts ; the mid-late 80's were a definite renaissance for Monogram .

I haven't personally laid hands on one of these since 1986 (the one that I'd built that year was destroyed in the 1987 Whittier Earthquake) , but I do recall that it builds-up nicely.

Enjoy !

2 hours ago, Geno said:

Greg, here's mine, kit bashed with parts from a scrap diecast. One of my absolute favorite builds. Built as a restomod.

Wow, that is nice!  Love the color.  I haven't decided what color to go with yet, I was thinking red or black, but my mind changes a few times daily. Thanks for the pics!

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Wow, that is nice!  Love the color.  I haven't decided what color to go with yet, I was thinking red or black, but my mind changes a few times daily. Thanks for the pics!

Greg, you are most certainly welcome. Always happy to help out a fellow modeler lol. I'll be watching this on for sure. Mine's painted Marimba Red, same as Chevy's Honduras Maroon. I always liked the blacked out tail panel on the '66 Chevelles, that's why I went with it on this one.;):)

Edited by Geno

1 hour ago, Geno said:

Mine's painted Marimba Red, same as Chevy's Honduras Maroon. 

Interesting! I've never heard this, so checked it out. The GM and Ditzler paint codes are completely different, so I don't think they're exactly the same. 

Marimba Red is, however the same as '64 Chevy Palomar Red. I've been thinking that Model Master Stop Light Red would be a suitable match for that, though I'll have to test to see if it's closest over white, black, gray, or "red" primer. I've been working on an AMT '64 GTO off and on for years, and am thinking of painting it this color. 

• 2 weeks later...