Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 boss 429 first gear 1/25

randyc

This is the car quest version.  A little tampo in the quarter windows.  Floor mats, battery, spare cover, oil filter, shocks all have cq logos.  And I had to hit the logs with the molotow. Had some paint rash but had never been out of the plastic holding it in box.  Nice ride.  Now maybe a boss 302...

IMG_20190114_203138550.jpg

IMG_20190114_203329280.jpg

IMG_20190114_203123275.jpg

IMG_20190114_203104751.jpg

IMG_20190114_203040097.jpg

IMG_20190114_203020709.jpg

IMG_20190114_203028065.jpg

Edited by randyc

Very nice! Looks like all I'd do to it is sand the tire treads and hit the headlight stems with white paint. 

I have diecast '70 Boss 302s in red, yellow, and Grabber Green. Two different makers and they're both pretty nice for being cheap ones. 

It looks pretty good.   The reflectors may stick out a little, the side mirrors look a little droopy, and the hinges like many diecasts are oversized.  I do like the wheels and tires, the battery in the trunk, and the engine looks as good or better than any kit.

9 hours ago, vamach1 said:

It looks pretty good.   The reflectors may stick out a little, the side mirrors look a little droopy, and the hinges like many diecasts are oversized.  I do like the wheels and tires, the battery in the trunk, and the engine looks as good or better than any kit.

Rex are all Boss 429 batteries in the trunk?

I may do some further detailing later.  Too cold to go to my workbench in unheated building right now.   FG also uses some kinda flexy plastic for their antennae.   Unfortunately it is black.   Little paint on it wouldn't hurt and detail around the headlights, etc.  

Good idea.  I really wanted one of those 69s but think I'm going to wait and build the revell Plastic when it gets here.  I've already got a 68 ordered.   Waiting for my guy to deliver it.  I do a lot fo renovation work for Marathon stations so it would be nice to have one though.

This is from like 2008 or 9.  I'm not sure they make these anymore.   but you're right - there are some fantastic models out there, just out of the mainstream, i.e. Mint.  It has some paint rash due to age, but ca't see it from a distance.

I had a hunch I had this diecast and yes I do.  So a few more comments on things I noticed.   The hood is way too narrow and the hood pins are too close together.  Ditto for the hood scoop.  I'll say again under the hood is pretty nice (decals, plug wires and oil cooler) and the interior wood trim is painted and it casually is looking better than the Revell 69 Boss 302 (no roll bar mounts either).  Hmm - maybe an interior swap.  Lastly, the shifter ball looks a little oversized and on my example the side markers look fine and the is also a space saver tire.  So I'm going to give this a 8 out of 10.

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

Edited by vamach1

On 1/15/2019 at 6:05 PM, vamach1 said:

I had a hunch I had this diecast and yes I do.  So a few more comments on things I noticed.   The hood is way too narrow and the hood pins are too close together.  Ditto for the hood scoop.  I'll say again under the hood is pretty nice (decals, plug wires and oil cooler) and the interior wood trim is painted and it casually is looking better than the Revell 69 Boss 302 (no roll bar mounts either).  Hmm - maybe an interior swap.  Lastly, the shifter ball looks a little oversized and on my example the side markers look fine and the is also a space saver tire.  So I'm going to give this a 8 out of 10.

A couple of these items are things I mentioned in that thread on the review page and got a little blasted for.   And I am a casual viewer.  I don't know the details like Rex.  To me, it looks like the Mustang of that year.  Has a good interior and cost less than the plastic kit.  And I don't have to find time to build it.  I used to think less of diecast collectors, but I really get it now.   Life gets in the way of building model kits for some folks.   But we still want to have models.  I think most of yus here are sorta both, modelers and collectors.   I do enjoy improving a diecast with some paint and details.   I would love to have some photoetch detail sets to apply to some of these cars.  But then that makes the project creep to another level to where I may not get to it anytime soon.  

Rex, I don't think yours are same car as mine from photos.  The 70 doesn't have same wipers or an antenna mount at all.  Nor separate door handles - is that a plastic kit? 

The white car is a 69 which has different body, wipers, hood, printed marker lights?, and such.   They are similar though.   And the shifter in mine is pretty clunky as well.   The biggest improvements on this one to be made I think, would be the interior.   Take apart and detail everything in there better.   Maybe someday.  No time to get to it any time soon.  I got cars for others I'm working on and my own list in front of it.   A good problem I guess?   

So far I am missing a 64.5, 67, and 68.   Then I'll have all the Stangs up through the 70.  I traded off my Testors Mach1.  And after that, til there is a Mustang II in 1/24, I guess I have all I really want.   I have later ones in plastic and have even sold or given those away.  This would be my favorite if it were a 302 car.

8 hours ago, randyc said:

A couple of these items are things I mentioned in that thread on the review page and got a little blasted for.   And I am a casual viewer.  I don't know the details like Rex.  To me, it looks like the Mustang of that year.  Has a good interior and cost less than the plastic kit.  And I don't have to find time to build it.  I used to think less of diecast collectors, but I really get it now.   Life gets in the way of building model kits for some folks.   But we still want to have models.  I think most of yus here are sorta both, modelers and collectors.   I do enjoy improving a diecast with some paint and details.   I would love to have some photoetch detail sets to apply to some of these cars.  But then that makes the project creep to another level to where I may not get to it anytime soon.  

Rex, I don't think yours are same car as mine from photos.  The 70 doesn't have same wipers or an antenna mount at all.  Nor separate door handles - is that a plastic kit? 

The white car is a 69 which has different body, wipers, hood, printed marker lights?, and such.   They are similar though.   And the shifter in mine is pretty clunky as well.   The biggest improvements on this one to be made I think, would be the interior.   Take apart and detail everything in there better.   Maybe someday.  No time to get to it any time soon.  I got cars for others I'm working on and my own list in front of it.   A good problem I guess?   

So far I am missing a 64.5, 67, and 68.   Then I'll have all the Stangs up through the 70.  I traded off my Testors Mach1.  And after that, til there is a Mustang II in 1/24, I guess I have all I really want.   I have later ones in plastic and have even sold or given those away.  This would be my favorite if it were a 302 car.

Yes the red/maroon is the Monogram kit.  I just wanted to show the difference in the hood and scoop width compared to the diecast. I believe the white diecast and orange one in this post come from the same  general manufacturer as there are similarities but there are differences (some of which are because of the difference in years).  I attached a picture of the "brand" but I cannot even read it.  Obviously all these are made in China so it's no surprise there are similarities.  As for other years, I think the M2 and Johnny Lightning cars are the best given the price and quality and can fill in the gap for the years you want.   The Revell 68 fastbacks are not bad either.  I also attached a picture of a Motormax yellow Boss.   The engine is a blob compared to other brands but the body looks pretty accurate.

IMG_3740.JPG

IMG_3741.JPG

11 hours ago, randyc said:

Randy, I picked up one of the Franklin Mint 64.5s on eBay last year for about $40 shipped with a box and no damage, just dirty. I like the looks of the Franklin Mint's coupe over the Danbury Mint's. The headlights just look odd. Also, I like the color on the Franklin Mint. I think it's supposed to be Dynasty Green Poly, but it's a little light. They made several versions in convertibles too.

11 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Randy, I picked up one of the Franklin Mint 64.5s on eBay last year for about $40 shipped with a box and no damage, just dirty. I like the looks of the Franklin Mint's coupe over the Danbury Mint's. The headlights just look odd. Also, I like the color on the Franklin Mint. I think it's supposed to be Dynasty Green Poly, but it's a little light. They made several versions in convertibles too.

Sweet buy.  And yes, the FM car is better than the DM car.   The DM has a flat nose, I think.   Just doesn't have the depth of the real car.  At least I think that's what it is.   And probably why the DM car stays fairly cheap.   I've had 3 of hte DM 66 converts.   Sold one and have another to sell soon.  They just keep coming through my hands as part of other buys.   I'll look for the FM version.   I like a cheap dirty car - I can usually get them looking pretty good.