Model Cars Magazine Forum

My parent's 1960 VW Beetle

89AKurt

13 hours ago, FabbricaP said:

Wow, amazing attention to detail and even better execution! Love that body color and the wheels!

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Wait - the body is done? I was hoping you'd polish the paint. As is, especially with all the other amazing detail you add to this build, it looks a bit "orange peely" - unless this is a desired effect, of course.

If you look at factory paint, it's not Future shiny.  I always tend to wet-sand through the high points and screw up such a job.  Plus I am weathering it as the very first picture shows.  So yea.

11 hours ago, cobraman said:

I love your added detail.

Thanks!  I need to stop thinking of new things.  LOL

8 hours ago, ATHU said:

Wow! Fantastic work so far!!

Appreciate it.

7 hours ago, PatW said:

Well 89AKurt, this build as an ex 1:1 Beetle owner is superb, I love the wheels especially! 

Cool, another Bug owner, really appreciate your comment.  I'm amused at all the comments about the wheels, thought putting giant Dub wheels and slamming a car was the thing to do.  ;)

Small things today.  I got the license plate, speedometer, and Wolfsburg crest printed at Sir Speedy.   That is the number, year and state, even added teeny tiny photo-etch screw heads.  I took screenshots of pictures, of the Badge and speedometer, had them sized to scale, with extras at 5% larger and 5% smaller.  I hated how I painted the speedometer, think this looks 100% better.
IMG_9397_Fotor.thumb.jpg.33a53fa3392c5db661c32321d55960f6.jpg
IMG_9399_Fotor.thumb.jpg.6585a61f32d58c135efd5dababd568f1.jpg

Started on the door windows.  No, it won't roll down.  I did think about making the driver's vent operable, but I better not.  Molotow pen used for trim, BMF left adhesive and when cleaning off, the foil came off.
IMG_9400_Fotor.thumb.jpg.c693c9fdbd9475f2b9964e129cc1147b.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:04 AM, 89AKurt said:

LOL :P

I continued last night, to work out window installation.  I wasn't going to glue in, have goober smears, and/or have them pop in by accident after buttoning up.  I made little aluminum retainers (made from newspaper printing plate, it bends easy without breaking like roof flashing).  For the back window, which was modified for the smaller opening, it worked best to have the tab the same dimension as the "glass", and beveling the edge to slope towards the center, made it almost a snap-in, just a little bending to keep it in.  I'm planning to cover up with headliner paper.  I can see faint scratches in the windshield, but it will be weathered with wiper tracks.  I'm still pissed about the gouge when the knife went "whip it good!"
IMG_9387_Fotor.thumb.jpg.43609571d8aa120e6fd1bb76b1145529.jpg
IMG_9389_Fotor.thumb.jpg.4e75512aa41fc48937c9d738b192977e.jpg
IMG_9391_Fotor.thumb.jpg.243fa4f5a6e686e5229e7a0089b4045b.jpg

The Tamiya glass has some distortion, not as bad as Revell or AMT kits, but some around the edges.
IMG_9392_Fotor.thumb.jpg.4b702f4d15919642caab3aff2eb63e94.jpg

Windows is ALWAYS nerve wrecking. Even if you weren't weathering the car, I think that fine scratches can actually add realism. Anybody who knows cars, knows how impossible it is to keep them klean, and perfect....only way is if you literally NEVER drive the car.  I still think this is looking INCREDIBLE, bud!!! Clever idea with those metal retainers too!!

Windows are done!  Next major step is the headliner.  When I made the interior door window frame, I could not measure how much I needed to go below the window, so I guessed, and found out I should have made the gap larger, grrrr.

It's getting so close to looking finished.  These pictures are the first time I have put the body on the chassis.  Funny how the lighting angle, and perhaps editing of the pictures, looks like two different versions of the blue.  I made the vent wing in the open position.
IMG_9401_Fotor.thumb.jpg.e92b455eb10c5ee7b39b568cf65ad14d.jpg
IMG_9402_Fotor.thumb.jpg.0864a119b10346003f5ef7e88300eb1d.jpg

Just a few kit parts left to glue on.  Pet peeve, why didn't Tamiya include the wipers on the chrome tree?  The paper I chose for the headliner, was hoping for a cream color, but this has a nice texture.
IMG_9403_Fotor.thumb.jpg.fcbe119d176934304accc1f72c831964.jpg

I'm having an interference issue with the engine deck lid, might need to revise the parts I added to the engine.  I also want to do something with the hinge, so the lid stays up when opened, thinking of a cam with flat steel spring, but it's at the laying awake when going to sleep stage.
IMG_9404_Fotor.thumb.jpg.e912941381fe1b58aed534017ff3c0a3.jpg

6 hours ago, cobraman said:

Maybe I missed it if you addressed it but....... your not going to do the snow and slush on that beauty are you ?

That's the main reason I'm doing this project!  I weather most of my projects, with a minimal dusting at the back and tire/wheels, bug splats, road grime, perhaps rubber specks if the car would ever drift, rally cars would really get dirty, and if a kit is bad I will make it a junker.  I'm going to use the product that I used on this diorama, in that case mixed with tan acrylic paint.  My evil plan is to mix grey paint, and some ground up charcoal.  So stay tuned!

IMG_3908_Fotor.jpg

7600779460_004272b5d1_o.jpg

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

I have seen your other stuff ( very nice ) and I'm sure the VW will be great looking too it just seems a shame to dirty it up. :D

Thanks.  I guess it's my nature, to trigger people.  :P  I know people like to keep their vehicles clean, but my feeling is they look too toy like, adding real life grime fakes you out, especially if the picture is taken in a life like setting.  There was a famous diorama builder, who made really nice dioramas with die cast cars, very convincing but too clean IMHO.

Ski boots, first time using Milliput.  Started with making cedar "legs", superglued plastic soles on.
IMG_9406_Fotor.thumb.jpg.11a463910ec79b23b661853e8daac139.jpg
IMG_9407_Fotor.thumb.jpg.098df5c048774921499ac3a0ad73dffd.jpg

I liked using this, does not set up fast like an epoxy putty that I've used.  Works with water soaked cedar stick, detailed with the Xacto knife, pressed down the yogurt foil for the leather texture.  Look forward to routing out the cedar, then a little sanding and painting!
IMG_9408_Fotor.thumb.jpg.fbeeb3a7ebc4a58009575828dc1c22eb.jpg
IMG_9409_Fotor.thumb.jpg.f68fe4d70f9d49bf07ca03a458d53a31.jpg

Regardless of how you finish this beauty, it is a mind blowing example of kit and scratch building combined.  The added details and equipment is bringing it over the top.   Oh, and I know you're going to check the oil before you set out on your ski trip?

14 hours ago, BERT100 said:

Regardless of how you finish this beauty, it is a mind blowing example of kit and scratch building combined.  The added details and equipment is bringing it over the top.   Oh, and I know you're going to check the oil before you set out on your ski trip?

Thank you very much.  But compared to the this Army truck it's average.  You suggesting adding an oil can?  ;)

4 hours ago, espo said:

Amazing details everywhere on this build. Your attention to every little part is remarkable. 

Thanks again!  I'm having to get psyched out for the ski rack.

23 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

LOVE your creativity!!!

Thanks again Dann. :D

8 hours ago, Impalow said:

Kurt!   Holy Moly!  I just went page by page through this entire thread!      Fantastic work all around, thank you for taking detailed photos of all your processes and scratchbuilding...   just beautiful and inspiring stuff! 

LOL  I'm kind of going overboard documenting this project (thanks to MCM allowing so many pictures to be downloaded).  When I get a wild hair, I don't mess around being obsessed.  Thank you for looking.

Done with the other ski bindings, and boots!  Since you can't see the other pair except for the tips, I chose to use these vintage bindings just because.  I didn't go too crazy making them exact, but made basic shapes, using two different aluminum plate material, newspaper printing plate (bends without breaking) and roof flashing (thicker and shinier).   The ski boots got painted, and thread added which will need to be wet with diluted white glue when placed in the car, so they lay the heck down.
IMG_9412_Fotor.thumb.jpg.0252417720b8f09770545dfac418bd59.jpg
IMG_9413_Fotor.thumb.jpg.8e71a72b3a1428d52ed602591e496c03.jpg
IMG_9414_Fotor.thumb.jpg.4f6fd81470a722544a891d148c919240.jpg

So cool having the internet for doing research.  Next big thing is the rack.
5c6633dab9e8e_skis1.jpg.08c2f82f83fa28f4b1dd5e00852ae411.jpg

On 2/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, 89AKurt said:

I need to pick your brain again.  After I detailed the wheels, and painted all white, then put on the tires, they didn't look right.  So now that I'm really looking at the pictures, it looks like the rims were also blue.  Is that correct?

Hello! Sorry I was unable to get back to you about the wheels. I haven't had much time to sit down and put together a reply. It looks like espo helped you get them straightened out however. I actually didn't have an answer for you question, but a little research suggests that wheels were painted body color through 1963. For all things vintage Volkswagen, TheSamba forums are an awesome resource!

My dad's '60 isn't a suitable reference for a period correct Beetle - there isn't much stock 1960 left! He converted the car to a later IRS floorpan during his senior year of high school. During the swap the donors 4-bolt wheel pattern remained and the car sat on a set of Lemmerz Sport wheels for many years. He eventually scored a set of Porsche 914 Mahle wheels which the car wears to this day.

Anyway, the build looks incredible. I still can't get over how well executed the backdating is. I also love all of the period photos you've shared. Your parents Beetle went to some pretty incredible destinations! I almost hate to see this one finished up because that means no more updates.

Edited by lilcraigford

3 hours ago, lilcraigford said:

Hello! Sorry I was unable to get back to you about the wheels. I haven't had much time to sit down and put together a reply. It looks like espo helped you get them straightened out however. I actually didn't have an answer for you question, but a little research suggests that wheels were painted body color through 1963. For all things vintage Volkswagen, TheSamba forums are an awesome resource!

My dad's '60 isn't a suitable reference for a period correct Beetle - there isn't much stock 1960 left! He converted the car to a later IRS floorpan during his senior year of high school. During the swap the donors 4-bolt wheel pattern remained and the car sat on a set of Lemmerz Sport wheels for many years. He eventually scored a set of Porsche 914 Mahle wheels which the car wears to this day.

Anyway, the build looks incredible. I still can't get over how well executed the backdating is. I also love all of the period photos you've shared. Your parents Beetle went to some pretty incredible destinations! I almost hate to see this one finished up because that means no more updates.

No worries, too late anyway.   LOL   I'm just about done, just have the important ski rack to fabricate.  Then I can weather with the icy sludge to hide the flaws.

But my obsession has been derailed by this full-sized '68 Chevy pickup, which needs lots of attention to get dialed in.  I'm resisting looking for a kit of a '68, that money could be spent on a few critical parts.

DSC_0062_Fotor.jpg

Cover it in flat clear and call the exterior done. Just about everything else you could possible need for the interior, chassis, and drive train is readily available. Think of it as a 1:1 scale model. Bonus is that the front end was one of the best designs that GM ever offered. 

Those miniature skis are possibly the best thing I've seen on MCM in ages. Lol. Love them! The techniques you've employed to create these detail parts are very inspiring. I have a drawer in which I store potentially useful junk--and I thought I was nuts for saving some textured yoghurt-lid foil and storing it in the drawer, thinking "maybe someday this trash will be useful". I see now that I wasn't the only one, except you actually found a use for it in the ski boot texturing process. Brilliant :)