Model Cars Magazine Forum

#2, 1962 Ford Thunderbird

Super28

And the last thing I've done to it ,is to paint the chassis. The color is Createx Flourescent Hot Pink. it will shine up like a new penny when I shoot the clear to it. Got to do the frame horns in gloss black first. Guess I'll do that before I move on to #3

5.jpg

Trunk on a Thunderbird convertible opens to the rear, that is it is hinged at the rear to allow the top to retract into the trunk.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjpn4DY5fLfAhUjqoMKHY8QAAUQwqsBMAF6BAgBEAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2NLwZV6A9i4&usg=AOvVaw2FTlAp2IYQJr6VOJuPfEb_

If you are looking to do replica stock the engine is black with argent silver valve covers and air cleaner unless it has the "dress up" option in which case they will be chrome

Edited by Mark IV
added

3 hours ago, Mark IV said:

Trunk on a Thunderbird convertible opens to the rear, that is it is hinged at the rear to allow the top to retract into the trunk.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjpn4DY5fLfAhUjqoMKHY8QAAUQwqsBMAF6BAgBEAc&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2NLwZV6A9i4&usg=AOvVaw2FTlAp2IYQJr6VOJuPfEb_

If you are looking to do replica stock the engine is black with argent silver valve covers and air cleaner unless it has the "dress up" option in which case they will be chrome

Like he said.. I own a 1:1 '62 Hardtop

The other thing is if you don't have the roof "up" you'll need to put it in the trunk folded up for when you open the trunk.

Of course there have been several "parade cars" that are hardtops that have had the roof cut off. Those wouldn't have a canvas top and the truck would open the way you did it. 

Edited by ratdoggy

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks good so far. That is going to be a bright color. I like it. That body has got to be pretty floppy with just the rocker panels holding the two ends together. Years ago I opened the doors on a convertible Studebaker. I picked it up one day while working on the body and bumped something with the body. Both rocker panels snapped on me! I glued the doors shut!

Later- 

1 hour ago, Modlbldr said:

Well, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Of course, mine was 20 years ago. I've gained a bit more experience since then.

Later-

LOL. Of course I had to break one in half to learn...:D

OK, this is my second time at "Flocking". Don't think it looks too bad. The big spot the drivers side will be covered by the driver's seat. I'll get better. Heard that "embossing powder" works better. Opinions?

20190617_223636.jpg

20190617_223750.jpg

I use both flocking and embossing powder depending on he vehicle.  Embossing powder, in my eyes, makes a "tighter" looking result so it works best if you want to represent a carpet that is tightly woven.  Flocking, also in my opinion, works best on a custom where you are looking for that 1960's custom car with the bright interior and a "shag" look to the carpet.  With flocking, you get the color that the flocking is, with embossing powder, once dry, you can paint over the top of it to modify the final color............ like I said, both work fine for the application you are looking to represent.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...