Model Cars Magazine Forum

Childhood models that you replaced in adulthood.

Some of us have lost,destroyed ect Model cars / trucks in our youth. Of those what ones have you  bought a "new" copy of?  I my self have quite a few now that I had then. Of those are Ertl Transtar 4070 a, Transtar 4300, S-Series 2674, AMT'72 GMC stepside pickup, MPC '77 Pontiac Ventura, Jo Han '75 Olds, Jo Han '64 Cadillac, Monogram Duesenberg. Ertl IH Scout II.

0trans.jpg

thCAA9Z9FY.jpg

thCAGMK81U.jpg

.3.jpg

DSC00889.JPG

DSC00742.JPG

s3.jpg

DSC03521.JPG

Edited by ranma

In no particular order:

AMT '40 Tudor, '36 3-window, '49 Ford, first issue Ala Kart/'29 Ford, '53 Ford pickup, '60 Chevy pickup, '55 Nomad, Chopped T double kit, Fiat double-dragster kit, XR-6/T phaeton double kit, first AMT T-bird styling kit with clay and sculpting tools, '61 Falcon, '64 Merc, '62 T-bird, Barris Surf Woody

Revell '55 and '57 Chebbys (everything opening), '31 Woody/sedan kit, SWC Willys gasser, Orange Crate, all the parts-packs double kits, lotsa parts-packs, Roth Mysterion and Road Agent, '56 Ford pickup, Thompson's Challenger I, Anglia drag car

There were a coupla IMC kits I haven't replaced yet, a GT40 and a Mustang II prototype. The Mustang had the first heavy mods I ever did, a custom sport-wagon rear section, with wood side panels.

Everything got away in the mid-'70s, when the young lady I left in charge of paying my storage space in my absence...didn't. Along with the models, I lost a small container load of Porsche 356 parts, and a lot of specialty tools, including a Sun machine. 

Probably more, but that's all that come immediately to mind. EDIT: After thinking it through, that's about all the car models I ever had when I was young, spread over many years....except the first decent paint job I ever did (man, was it some kind of effort to convince the parents to let me have a can of spray-paint) on a Pontiac convertible that got melted in the sun while sitting in the top well of the family car.

Oh...and the models that started me on the road to ruin (haven't replaced the Ford wagon yet either):

Image result for Renwal visible V8      Related image

Image result for vintage monogram Hot rod                          

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have tried several times to replicate a model I built long long ago that met it's demise, was stolen or given away.

Only one came out close.

photo91-vi.jpg

The main problem is if you didn't build it straight out of the box it is almost impossible to find the same parts you used to make it your own so when you are done it just does not have that same feel to it.

For sure you cannot replicate the pride you had in that original build, just cannot capture that excitement that came with the planning and execution of the project.

That is why while I will build some of the same kits that were lost years ago because I really liked them, I don't try to replicate the past.

I'm building some more Jo-han Cadillac V-16s, and a Monogram Duesenberg is on the build pile, though I'm not doing them exactly the way I did the first time.

2 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

The main problem is if you didn't build it straight out of the box it is almost impossible to find the same parts you used to make it your own so when you are done it just does not have that same feel to it.

For sure you cannot replicate the pride you had in that original build, just cannot capture that excitement that came with the planning and execution of the project.

That is why while I will build some of the same kits that were lost years ago because I really liked them, I don't try to replicate the past.

I have a couple from back in the day I want to do over, but I don't see it so much trying to duplicate the past as to do it right.  The first time I saw this in Automobile Quarterly, I feel in love, and I wanted to build a model of it.

c92855dd251107039c8363a99da5d256.jpg

Now, it turned out all right, and the pieces for the model still exist, but over the years i've been collecting the pieces for a new version.  This time, I managed to track down a proper '31 Packard kit off eBay at a reasonable price, where before, Monogram's '30 Packard as the only game in town.  Evergreen styrene instead of scrounging for bits of cardboard and plastic packaging, airbrush instead of brush painting, and years of experience that I didn't have back then.  Sometimes it's not about recapturing the past, but getting it closer to what you had in mind in the first place.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

I still have every model that I bought, started,and or completed from when I started in 1969 at age 5.

There are a bunch that got started ,but never finished. Then there are the ones that got torn apart & parts used on something else.

I would like to finish all the started kits & have also been getting the parts together to rebuild all the ones I tore down & robbed parts from.

I have a Revell 56 F100 that was redone 3 times in the early 70's. I am building 2 others to replicate the 2 early versions I did.

I think its fun to put the old builds together & have them back on the shelf completed again as they were so long ago.

For me it's mostly replacing promos that got played with to death. I've gotten my '65 Galaxie and Continental again, but the '63 Bonneville and '65 Plymouth pace car are a bit stratospheric now.

Limiting it to kits: the '63 Nova wagon and the '61 Ford convertible are in my to-do queue, hopefully this time to be done with a lot more care and craftsmanship.

Just recently revisited a favorite model from when I was about 15. The dead-simple Monogram Porsche Carrera circa 1976. First model that I had spray painted and clear coated, came out so good I got another one and built it. Have no idea where they ended up.

Found the kit for a very reasonable price at a show, combined it w/parts from a couple Fujimi 911 parts boxes that lay dormant for about 30 years, such as fog lights, wheels, tires, front turn signal lenses, side and interior mirrors. It went from 26 total pieces to 36. Really happy how it turned out. Revised the headlight lenses/buckets since photos after seeing several one day at Caffeine & Octane.

2v2Ea2EtCxvKa6.jpg

2v2Ea2ERWxvKa6.jpg

2v2Ea2EkqxvKa6.jpg

These are the ones I have pictures of on file:

AMT 1969 Cougar. I still have the engine of the first one I built back in the seventies. Painted it Testors competition orange. This turned out much better.

IMG_0017-vi.jpg

AMT 1957 Chevy. Nope, nothing left but memories. I did not paint it, but I remember all the chrome. This stock version is pretty good. I like the extra engine.

IMG_0033-vi.jpg

AMT 1955 Chevy. Nothing but memories here too. I built the first version as the pickup truck gasser. I brush painted it black. This is better.

IMG_0041-vi.jpg

AMT 1964 Impala. One of the first glue kits I ever had. Brush painted or tried to, Pactra purple. I'm planning to redo this one again because the paint damaged the plastic.

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

Monogram 55 Badman. I did the Badman twice and the street version. This is so much better.

IMG_0001_1-vi.jpg

I have probably another dozen in boxes to build that would replace childhood models.

Edited by THarrison351

The Monogram Land Rover.

That's right, I'm the kid who actually chose one of those at the store over the corvettes and rods surrounding it. Being eleven at the time I built it and it didn't really get to be old. Some fifteen years ago I came across an unbuilt kit, and it came home with me. It was a more than fair deal.

Also; MPC Double Flip F-100

Nitto 1/12 Lancia Stratos

Monogram  '57 Vette

I must have built at least 100 kits in my younger years only to have either left them at my parents old house upon moving out for them to throw out, or thrown out the remaining "better done" kits myself when other things in life took over and I decided that I would never have time for the hobby ever again. Boy if I only knew. Anyways, so far since deciding to rejoin the hobby early last year, I have purchased 26 kits (only 8 completed so far) of which I had only previously built 6 of.

MPC 1/25 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 

Revell 1/24 1970 Buick GSX

Revell 1970 Boss 429 Mustang

Revell 1/24 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340

Revell 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda

MPC 1/16 Shelby Cobra 427

Hopefully many more to come, but life keeps happening, so who knows.

As many of you know I lost about 75% of my and my dads old collection in a tornado here in 2011....many I will never be able to replace...childhood ones...ones we built together...ones that meant a lot to me.  Id love to be able to replace some that got lost but on my so called budget it might as well just stay a dream of mine.    Right now all I can do is hope/pray to be able to find parts to repair/restore the ones that are left and that wont be easy ether...its a huge list...mostly 60s to mid 70s body style stuff.   I had collected old models..promos..boxes..instructions..etc. for many years but now most of them are gone sadly...just feels like someone robbed me of my good memories in a way.   My dad had collected many like vehicles the family had owned..I hope to restore whats left of his and do them as he did as family owned replicas if i can..???

None of the replacement's that I built as an adult are the same colors as the ones I had in  my youth. The Original 4070A was built by my parents, My dad painted the cab of mine red and white while my older brothers was gold and white. The 72 GMC was painted black like the box art, while the duesy was left yellow. THe scout II poorly painted light blue, the cadillac was tan, and the '77 Pontiac was silver. As for the 75 Oldsmobile the one I had was green, But I made this copy to look like my first car I owned,

Edited by ranma

The 1st model I built was the Revell Dodge Revellion funny car. 

I got a body of ebay and used the Tony Nancy 22jr frame to complete, unfortunately that got broken also, maybe one day I'll try to rebuild it yet again. Breaks my heart to see it broken in the box. It's in the race car section somewhere in its completed form. 

I still have most of my teenage builds, though not all of them are in displayable condition. Some I've cleaned up and restored; others are in need of significant repair; others I've paint-stripped for complete rebuilding but haven't gotten them done yet. 

I lost a bunch of models in a basement fire in late 1968, some of them really nice. Over the years I've been able to replace the AMT '66 Skylark, AMT '66 Corvette roadster, AMT Manx, AMT AWB '65 Falcon, AMT '64 Olds Cutlass, and a few others. More recently I was able to acquire a couple of glue bomb AMT '67 Camaro annuals, and last year I finally replaced the lost MPC '68 Dodge Coronet R/T with the Modelhaus resin repro. I have not actually built all of these yet, however. 

Two I will probably never be able to replace are the AMT '69 AMX funny car, and the Aurora "Super Spy Car" Aston Martin DB5 with all the gadgets. Oh, and the MPC '68 Impala convetible, so that's three.

I have plans to do "take two" builds of some of my teenage models--in other words, build the same kit (or as close as is available today) the same way, but better. So far, I think I've only actually done one of these, the AMT '69 Chevelle. Here's the one I built in 1969 (black vinyl top), cleaned up and restored (all original paint) alongside the one I started in the early '90s and finally finished up a few years ago (white stripe). 

69ChevelleC01.jpg.eaede2e404d9e3f21bffdcc054c00c33.jpg

69ChevelleC03.jpg.9ec236548199e130612fbe2490bb0c6b.jpg

I wish I still had half of the cars/planes I built as a kid but alas I torched them or put firecrackers in them. Of the ones I had, so far I've built the AMT Peterbilt 352 Cabover, Tom Daniels Tr'antula and '66 Galaxie 500. Will be building the Revell front engine Tony Nancy "the Loner" dragster and Revelle '65 Ford GT40 later this year or next. 

DSCN4318.JPG

DSCN4540 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4093.JPG

Ford GT box.jpg