Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Plymouth A990

Brutalform

Went to the LHS this morning and bought some more Racing White paint, and assembled the rest of the interior. I have look to find a decent tach for the dash top. There is something on the chrome tree that resembles at tach, but no mention of it in the instructions. 

Also got a few coats of primer on the body. Probably will get the color on in a day or two. 

4B526CA0-C09A-44CF-BD48-DEB19F0864AF.jpeg

1B088EA0-6367-4FD5-AA2D-401D36CBED75.jpeg

DA7E7C15-D91D-496C-BE04-8F565CCED693.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

Thanks Niko!! Yes it is the Tamiya accent. It’s pretty new to me. I discovered another tool to add to my builds. I bought black, brown, and gray. I should have went a tad lighter on the fender wells, but there is always next time. I’d like to buy some weathering powder soon too. I recently just started dry brushing parts. You really can learn a lot on these boards. 

Didn't know they had that in grey as well, but now I know. Did you use black or grey to the chassis and firewall? I'm wondering because I've used the black version for all my panel lines and it's pretty...How could I say it...Black/dark. I would think that it's pretty hard to do a subtle wash like that with it but of course I could be wrong. In any case now I know there is more use for that than just only the panel lines.:P

I do believe they also have a “dark” brown in addition to the brown. 

I did use the black on the firewall, fenderwells, and undercarriage. And I used the brown on the interior parts.  On the undercarriage, after I cleaned it up with a Q Tip, and enamel thinner, I gave it another mist coat of Racing White paint. I’m still new to this so I’m trying different things. 

Edited by Brutalform

• 2 weeks later...

really a beautiful build going on here Tom. getting back to your header question, which headers to use? that depends,. the spaghetti looking ones came on the car along with 6 cylinder full exhaust when delivered. most racers yanked the exhaust off the car (of course) and most of them found the big long tube headers cumbersome while working under the car. a lot of them got rid of these also (that explains why those long headers are so rare) and replaced them with the more conventional headers while racing the cars. I did verify this, to the best of my ability with some old super stock and drag illustrated magazines from way back from my collection. 

so this is what I believed happened and how they ran these cars. so if you are building a racer, which it looks like you are, I would use the more common header. if you are building a car right off the floor, use the other ones. kind of a long way to get there, hope you get it. I would post some pictures, but I keep all my pictures on my computer and cant figure out how to post them. darn technology...

one more note. doesn't matter, but I know they ran long collectors back then too. hope this helps, just one guys opinion.

keep up the good work.

Thanks for the info, Al. I did use the race style headers on it, and added the spaghetti headers to my parts bin. 

Ive since finished the build. The only thing I didn’t like with the kit race headers was, the collectors looked uneven after the two halves were glued together. So I just added some aluminum tube to them. 

I also have another California Flash, and a Golden Commando I plan on saving for a while. I hear they were limited run kits. I most likely will build the Melrose Missle I already started BEFORE I stared and finished this one. 

C38CFCB7-9347-4CC0-97D0-C2C38FB58421.jpeg

DBEAADCE-F509-4BA8-9EE4-8A2399033896.jpeg

57003CAF-8649-458F-A781-2647FDA02953.jpeg

1603ED34-04C9-43D0-925F-FA516051BD25.jpeg

• Like 1

that came out awesome Tom. very clean build. as much as a mopar guy that I am, I only have the Belvedere I. I have none of the race cars. hay have to get me one or 9 of them. one of my favorite mopars. look forward to seeing the others.

Thanks Al..

I’ve been on a Ford kick for a while, and I still have four more of them on my bench. 

I just finished clearing my bright red AMT 68 Hemi Roadrunner, and I still have to get some color on the AMT 69 Roadrunner pro street. And I can’t forget about the 69 Dodge Superbee. 

Why cant you post any pictures?  Are you having problems, or don’t you know how? 

Id like to see some more of your Mopars. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 1:23 PM, Brutalform said:

Thanks for the info, Al. I did use the race style headers on it, and added the spaghetti headers to my parts bin. 

Ive since finished the build. The only thing I didn’t like with the kit race headers was, the collectors looked uneven after the two halves were glued together. So I just added some aluminum tube to them. 

I also have another California Flash, and a Golden Commando I plan on saving for a while. I hear they were limited run kits. I most likely will build the Melrose Missle I already started BEFORE I stared and finished this one. 

C38CFCB7-9347-4CC0-97D0-C2C38FB58421.jpeg

DBEAADCE-F509-4BA8-9EE4-8A2399033896.jpeg

57003CAF-8649-458F-A781-2647FDA02953.jpeg

1603ED34-04C9-43D0-925F-FA516051BD25.jpeg

WoW, that one turned out beautiful... ☺️?

I'll have to get me some of those kits... ?