Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Plymouth A990

Brutalform

Time to start the 65 Plymouth drag car. I’m not interested in building the Leal car, but just a “plain Jane” factory racer. 

The exterior will be Racing White, and Champagne Gold for the interior. 

Started to work on the car last night. This is where I’m at now. 

4A9DC01F-BF1D-4DF2-9B4F-9E11A301AF63.jpeg

0B46F629-D00A-4257-8ED8-7164DD56B26F.jpeg

025B6731-5204-42B3-9EAE-9E7E578FD6BE.jpeg

F9556940-BADB-4E60-A35E-CBB34F2A0878.jpeg

2480EDAB-8AC3-4AE2-AE70-86C126B3DBFE.jpeg

A2C4FD40-0E29-40FE-9649-040CBD7FCABD.jpeg

Decided to have the magnesium intake manifold, and aluminum cylinder heads. 

I thought the Hemi came out decent with Tamiya Orange, as long as gray primer is under it. 

Im not very knowledgeable with Mopars, so maybe someone can chime in about the headers to use. Which set would you find on this kind of car? 

79202186-431D-4D9D-874C-3679B8F005F9.jpeg

1FE1F81F-8119-4894-94FB-DDB4844F41DA.jpeg

271A08B2-F7FA-40E1-AA15-A712C07C8FE9.jpeg

8C6DB6A2-7086-4566-A85F-8E9238AD028A.jpeg

0E9C543D-98AC-4786-A696-B5AFD9D1AA17.jpeg

ECEBA29D-6AF2-4C67-956B-9DBA37D14E1A.jpeg

6 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Mocked up the interior just to see how the colors look. I plan on adding a lap seatbelt, and adding some dull cote to the floor so it’s not too shiny. 

FEE75A29-CF06-45CC-9983-CFF7C82DB1AE.jpeg

43FB8A72-3491-4160-91D3-036AE7AC78DC.jpeg

How did you float the darker color onto the lighter color on the interior...Sure looks good..

16 minutes ago, moparfarmer said:

How did you float the darker color onto the lighter color on the interior...Sure looks good..

Thanks. First I sprayed Tamiya Wooden  Deck Tan (pic) on the bare plastic. Then coated it very lightly with Tamiya Champagne Gold (pic). Not heavy, but just enough so it doesn’t look totally tan. Then sprayed with Dull Cote. The seats, dash and door panels are Champagne Gold on the plastic. All the lines and floor mats are detailed with Tamiya panel line accent. 

2990AF7F-8B49-4C1F-87FD-969DA88D2C90.jpeg

FD47D957-8A47-4F6D-9126-AE466DCF338B.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform
  • Like 1

On 15/01/2019 at 8:01 PM, Brutalform said:

Time to start the 65 Plymouth drag car. I’m not interested in building the Leal car, but just a “plain Jane” factory racer. 

The exterior will be Racing White, and Champagne Gold for the interior. 

Started to work on the car last night. This is where I’m at now. 

025B6731-5204-42B3-9EAE-9E7E578FD6BE.jpeg

A2C4FD40-0E29-40FE-9649-040CBD7FCABD.jpeg

Nice clean work, but before you get too far - that piece is not a separate subframe on the 1:1, it's part of the body structure.   Only the K member and the trans mount would be painted black.   Most of the suspension and steering parts were unfinished steel, except the lower control arms which had a coating of Cosmoline, giving them a gold tinge.

6 hours ago, dodgefever said:

Nice clean work, but before you get too far - that piece is not a separate subframe on the 1:1, it's part of the body structure.   Only the K member and the trans mount would be painted black.   Most of the suspension and steering parts were unfinished steel, except the lower control arms which had a coating of Cosmoline, giving them a gold tinge.

Thanks Stu. Yea, I realize that. After browsing through the instructions, it seemed easier to assemble these parts, and paint it as a unit. Then realizing later, it was body color. I’m going to leave it this way since I have the engine mounted also. Even if I tried to separate it, I’d most likely beak it. There was a bent mount that I had to straighten and use some extra glue on, and clamps. I’ll keep that in mind with the Melrose Missile, or Golden Commando, sitting in the stash.  I just might even buy another one of these kits too, since I’d like to do the Leal version. Beautiful kit Moebius gave us. 

Edited by Brutalform

Worked on the Plymouth for a few hours today. Now it’s a rolling chassis.

One recommendation to anyone that hasn’t built this kit yet, put the backing plates onto the rear axle and front spindles BEFORE they are installed. Especially the spindles. Don’t follow the instructions on this part. I thought for sure I would snap one but I was lucky. I had to hone out the little sleeves with a round file. I’m just happy they didn’t snap

Tommorow the interior, and a trip to the LHS for some paint, to get the body finished. 

The next one I build I will definitely paint that sub frame body color. 

8C14AD77-450E-4D5C-B268-1D96C28359B9.jpeg

B81E35B0-C31C-4389-8324-DACCAA6F31E1.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

This is coming together very nicely, I have several of these different '65 Plymouth kits on my stash so I'll be bookmarking this thread for future reference. Everything is looking very good so far. Especially that light weathering looks fantastic. Did you use the Panel Line Accent Color for the firewall and chassis, too? They look very good.

1 hour ago, dodgefever said:

Nice detailing in the engine bay.   Thanks for taking the constructive criticism the way it was intended - I wasn't picking on you about the black paint, I usually mention it when I see it on a build thread.

Oh, not at all. I appreciate the advice. I’m going to be 53, and as an X drag racer, I still like to learn. Everyone has an automobile make they really know their stuff about. I’m a GM guy myself, but must admit that I love building Fords most of all, but now I’m on this Mopar kick. I take all constructive criticism as a learning aid so I can do my next build even  better. 

5 hours ago, W-409 said:

This is coming together very nicely, I have several of these different '65 Plymouth kits on my stash so I'll be bookmarking this thread for future reference. Everything is looking very good so far. Especially that light weathering looks fantastic. Did you use the Panel Line Accent Color for the firewall and chassis, too? They look very good.

Thanks Niko!! Yes it is the Tamiya accent. It’s pretty new to me. I discovered another tool to add to my builds. I bought black, brown, and gray. I should have went a tad lighter on the fender wells, but there is always next time. I’d like to buy some weathering powder soon too. I recently just started dry brushing parts. You really can learn a lot on these boards.