Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detachable gooseneck lowboy DONE!

I finally stuck the fork in this build tonight! This was originally a kit from KJ at Double Take Replicas. It ended up that all I used from the kit is the deck main beams, wheels, and the neck side beams. I used the suspension from Jamie at Moluminum as well as his tires, outriggers and mud flaps. I got the D-rings from Shapeways. Everything else is scratch built from Evergreen plastic stock. The name of my fictional company is Readsboro Heavy Haulers, hence the name on the gooseneck. The entire hydraulic neck mechanism works exactly like the real thing. All of the decals were from the parts box and Modeltruckin.com and Slixx Decals. (Still gotta get the yard gofer to get to the RMV to get the tags for it!) This was a challenging but very rewarding build! You can find the build thread in the "On the workbench" forum. I ALSO got TONS of inspiration from all of the awesome builders on this site. Thanks for checking it out!

IMG_7789.JPG

IMG_7790.JPG

IMG_7791.JPG

IMG_7792.JPG

IMG_7795.JPG

IMG_7796.JPG

IMG_7797.JPG

IMG_7799.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7802.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Did a little bit of edge weathering tonite, just a bit, and put a coat of dull cote on it.  It doesn't look paint shop fresh any more, a huge departure from my normal build style. As far as a load for it, I have a Hough loader, a Cat D6T dozer, a Cat 320 excavator and a Galion roller.  Gotta think of something more, outside my comfort zone! Thinking of a rough terrain hydraulic crane perhaps????

Edited by redneckrigger

6 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Nice work, Tom!   Will you be showing this anywhere?

I will be bringing it to NNL East, though I am not sure what will be hooked to the front of it! Trying to get a Mack B815 done. I may try to go to the Spring Thaw Show in Fulton as well if life does not interfere again! Hope to see you at NNL!

2 hours ago, Warren D said:

Ok, you've got a fair number of loads.  I've got 3 of the Bantams, just scored the 4th.  Can't say I've seen the orange dozer before.

Only have the one Bantam, should get the crane and the backhoe one of these days! The orange dozer is a First Gear Allis Chalmers cable dozer. I also have a small IH dozer by Spec Cast, and a Cat D9 cable dozer by First Gear for ACMOC (Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owner's Club), and all of the farm tractors by ERTL as well as the JD310 backhoe. Never have enough!

Edited by redneckrigger

9 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

Only have the one Bantam, should get the crane and the backhoe one of these days! The orange dozer is a First Gear Allis Chalmers cable dozer. I also have a small IH dozer by Spec Cast, and a Cat D9 cable dozer by First Gear for ACMOC (Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owner's Club), and all of the farm tractors by ERTL as well as the JD310 backhoe. Never have enough!

Ok, you win!  LOL!  The Bantam Crane seems to be the hardest to find, I missed the last one that came up; that was about a month ago, maybe more.  The backhoe and shovel seem the most common though I like the dragline!

4 hours ago, Warren D said:

Ok, you win!  LOL!  The Bantam Crane seems to be the hardest to find, I missed the last one that came up; that was about a month ago, maybe more.  The backhoe and shovel seem the most common though I like the dragline!

I've only got the shovel. I have seen the backhoe and the dragline and plan on getting them as well. I also saw a salvage crane with magnet, grapple etc. that should be added to my list. Did they make just a crane also?

1 hour ago, redneckrigger said:

I've only got the shovel. I have seen the backhoe and the dragline and plan on getting them as well. I also saw a salvage crane with magnet, grapple etc. that should be added to my list. Did they make just a crane also?

They made 4, the Backhoe, Shovel, Dragline and Salvage crane with the 3 attachments.  Numbers are CON 001,002, 003 and 004.  The dragline is 003, crane is 004.  I think the shovel is 002, backhoe 001.  In 1/25 scale.  Had different offerings in 1/50 including some truck mounted.