Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Jolly Roger

This car(pic) was found on the side label of my recently acquired Winged Express kit.

It appears to have the same body as the "Multi-Maverick" kit sans the overly large hood scoop but does have the same separate front quarter panels.

Also looks like the chassis was completely different. Not much can be found as far as pics on the web for

this kit, but some parts photos shown on worth point . https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mpc-jolly-roger-maverick-funnycar-485143652 suggest there might be a connection.

Anyone know the history of this kit?

rdoger-vi.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

don't have that kit....but sure looks like the Multi-Mav kit with a regular MPC funny car chassis in place of the Multi chassis. Modifying the hood/scoop is easy...I did it on this build of Mean Maverick I did.

Dave. Nice work on that, I know I have seen pictures of your build while researching Maverick funny cars.I wonder what kit came first, the Jolly Roger or the Multi-Maverick?

Multi-Maverick (1971) was first.  MPC bankrolled the construction of the 1:1 car for George Montgomery, in exchange for the rights to make the kit.  The kit is off in a couple of places: hood scoop is wrong, also the rear wheel openings are incorrect.  The 1:1 was finished after the kit and deviated from the original design.  That happened to AMT earlier, with the XR-6 and the Deora.  Both 1:1 vehicles differ from the kits in various details.

George Montgomery tested the Maverick a couple of times but never raced it.  He stayed with the red '69 Mustang for NHRA events, and on occasion pulled out the blue '67 Mustang for match races.  The '33 Willys coupe had been sold by then.

The Jolly Roger was issued in '73.  The body is clearly the Multi-Maverick piece, but has a flat hood with no scoop.  It does have the separate front fender pieces, but only one set to match the wheelbase of the chassis.  The windows are different: the Multi-Maverick has a one-piece unit with windshield, side glass, and rear window.  The Jolly Roger has separate windshield (with cutout for blower scoop) and rear glass, no side windows.  The Jolly Roger body trim pieces (bumpers, taillights) are not plated.  The chassis is the one-piece 1970 Logghe Brothers unit that was used in a number of early Seventies MPC funny car kits.  I never checked, but the basic engine (block, heads, transmission) might be the same in both Maverick kits.  The engine is called a 429 "semi-hemi" but the Boss Nine is a true hemi-head engine.  

The kit was probably produced into '74.  There were at least two production runs.  I've got a gluebomb Jolly Roger with a yellow body, my unbuilt one has a white body.  Both have red chassis/engine parts.  I'll probably cut the front section from the gluebomb to correct the hood on a Multi-Maverick (rest of the body is junk).  I bought a set of replacement decals for the Jolly Roger, was promised them in gold foil but instead got them in the same washed-out "gold" that MPC used on the original sheet.

10 minutes ago, Mark said:

Multi-Maverick (1971) was first.  MPC bankrolled the construction of the 1:1 car for George Montgomery, in exchange for the rights to make the kit.  The kit is off in a couple of places: hood scoop is wrong, also the rear wheel openings are incorrect.  The 1:1 was finished after the kit and deviated from the original design.  That happened to AMT earlier, with the XR-6 and the Deora.  Both 1:1 vehicles differ from the kits in various details.

George Montgomery tested the Maverick a couple of times but never raced it.  He stayed with the red '69 Mustang for NHRA events, and on occasion pulled out the blue '67 Mustang for match races.  The '33 Willys coupe had been sold by then.

The Jolly Roger was issued in '73.  The body is clearly the Multi-Maverick piece, but has a flat hood with no scoop.  It does have the separate front fender pieces, but only one set to match the wheelbase of the chassis.  The windows are different: the Multi-Maverick has a one-piece unit with windshield, side glass, and rear window.  The Jolly Roger has separate windshield (with cutout for blower scoop) and rear glass, no side windows.  The Jolly Roger body trim pieces (bumpers, taillights) are not plated.  The chassis is the one-piece 1970 Logghe Brothers unit that was used in a number of early Seventies MPC funny car kits.  I never checked, but the basic engine (block, heads, transmission) might be the same in both Maverick kits.  The engine is called a 429 "semi-hemi" but the Boss Nine is a true hemi-head engine.  

The kit was probably produced into '74.  There were at least two production runs.  I've got a gluebomb Jolly Roger with a yellow body, my unbuilt one has a white body.  Both have red chassis/engine parts.  I'll probably cut the front section from the gluebomb to correct the hood on a Multi-Maverick (rest of the body is junk).  I bought a set of replacement decals for the Jolly Roger, was promised them in gold foil but instead got them in the same washed-out "gold" that MPC used on the original sheet.

Mark, Thanx for the info. I was curious about this kit and the lack of online information about it. It seems like this one was not produced long and is now lost.

Would like to find one to add it to my future FOMOCO build pile. Yes, George Montgomery never raced this car that MPC bankrolled. Yet they still managed to

mangle as a kit.:huh:

2 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

It seems like this one was not produced long and is now lost.

Most of it appears to have survived as the War Horse Maverick kit. The Multi Maverick version was reissued in 2006, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see it reissued by Round2:

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Most of it appears to have survived as the War Horse Maverick kit. The Multi Maverick version was reissued in 2006, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see it reissued by Round2:

Casey, OK that link is to a thread I started. yet being the FORD freak I am, just pondering the lineage of this old kit.

I spent some time away from car model building so some of these old kits slipped past me. :D

Yes it would be a nice reissue, especially as the funny car version.