Model Cars Magazine Forum

1981 Datsun 280ZX (non-Turbo)

Roadrunnertwice

This project replicates a 280ZX I owned in the early 1990s. It's taken me nearly that long to find all the pieces I needed and get to the point to give it a try.  I finished this in late 2017, a little too long ago to qualify as a "last year" build.

Body: Scratchbuilding non-turbo vents is beyond me at this point, as is cutting out and adapting the vents from the Tamiya glue bomb I scored for parts. I puttied over the Turbo vents and made decals from photos of the real thing. Filling in the T-tops was easier than I expected, though the areas near the windows could be a bit neater.

Wheels came from the Tamiya kit. Although they're 1/24th scale, they seem to fit the 1/25th body well.

Engine: This Frankenstein consists of Revell 240Z block and trans (because the box-stock 280ZX unit depicts an auto.) The valve cover came from a Fujimi 240ZG, and the non-turbo injection setup came from the previously-mentioned Tamiya glue bomb. Most of the rest is box-stock AMT.

Interior - Tamiya seats and various interior details make this a different trim level from the box-stock AMT version.

This thing pushed my abilities, or maybe exceeded them!  It's amazing how the camera can hide some flaws and magnify others.  Still, I'm happy with it.

This is a great kit!  I bought several of the recent Round2 reissue - one to build as a box-stock Turbo version, another for a distant-future stab at this build if my skills are up to it, and another because Hobby Lobby clearance-priced them to can't-say-no levels.

DSC04425.JPG

DSC04428.JPG

DSC04447.JPG