Model Cars Magazine Forum

De Tomaso Mangusta

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2023 at 12:25 AM, Texas_3D_Customs said:

If anyone has an smp kit, I have a scanner, I am sure that I can work something out with somebody who wants to print bodies and sell them

Can I ask what make and model scanner? I've been using photogrammetry (Nikon D7100 and 3DF Zephyr) but it does not work well with the reflective surface of diecast and plastic model cars. So I am considering on purchasing a 3D scanner.

Thanks kindly.

1 hour ago, Kenmojr said:

Can I ask what make and model scanner? I've been using photogrammetry (Nikon D7100 and 3DF Zephyr) but it does not work well with the reflective surface of diecast and plastic model cars. So I am considering on purchasing a 3D scanner.

Thanks kindly.

I have two scanners One is an Einstar the other is an Einscan SP. But neither one of them is going to scan reflective surfaces That's what scanner spray is for or you can primer it. Scanning Hot Wheels is not very easy they're very small and generally speaking scanners are not made to scan little itty-bitty things there is a scanner that will scan really small things very very well but it is also very very expensive. There are examples of Hot Wheels bodies that I scanned One I printed at the same scale The other one I printed at 1:32 scale

20220417_122206.jpg

20220908_214611.jpg

20220908_214557.jpg

20220421_193835.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I truly appreciate it. I have close to 100 diecasts mostly 1/18th but also 1/24th and thought I would love to scan them. And I have tried only to get a very bumpy 3D model. I've been told by the good folks at 3D Flow (3DF Zephyr) that a scan supporting lidar is the way to do. Again, I am quite green when it comes to photogrammetry.

3D scan using either my Nikon D7000 or D7100 (can't remember which I used) and 3DF Zephyr app, which I love. 

3DChevy01.jpg

3DChevy02.jpg

3DChevy03.jpg

It was recommended I should retopologize the model in Blender, but that is a very manual intensive process.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated and sorry to the OP if I interrupted their thread.

Edited by Kenmojr

On 1/25/2019 at 9:13 AM, Pico said:

As Ace mentioned, I've been working of a Mangusta for quite a long time; however I'm hampered by a lack of good plans. The only one available are from a Polish magazine and it is incorrect. It is apparently are the source of the Turbosquid/Humster/Cgtrader digital models  which might be alright for a third rate video game or toy, but not a 1/24th model. The SMP model seems to have the same source. I am work off of photos but i'm always fighting perspective distortion with them. I need factory drawings - does anyone have any books on the Mangusta, as Bella Mangusta, by Ruzzin or others ? Also, Road & Track, April 1969 had an article on the Mangusta - did it include a side drawing with that article. If so, I need it. Enclosed a pic of my progress so far.

Mangusta image in computer 1 25 19.png

I've been dabbling in 3D modeling for close to 20 years (Wings3D, Sketchup, Hexagon 3D, Lightwave, Silo3D and now Moi3D, 3DCoat & Blender. A car is by far the hardest thing to model.

7 hours ago, Kenmojr said:

I've been dabbling in 3D modeling for close to 20 years (Wings3D, Sketchup, Hexagon 3D, Lightwave, Silo3D and now Moi3D, 3DCoat & Blender. A car is by far the hardest thing to model.

I don't think lidar is the way to go, structured light seems to be the best solution for details that I have seen.

• Like 1