Model Cars Magazine Forum

Small AB compressor suggestions?

Hi,

While I'm leaning towards an air brush with a 1 gallon tank which worked well for me, I'm shopping for a compressor as I lost mine.

Curious what you all think these smaller types by either Iwata or Paasche;

iwata.png

paasche.png

Or one of these Iwata units;

small.png

Then there is this larger one that tickles my fancy, larger I know but it seems very well received;

lowes.png

PS I'm kinda leaning towards the Iwata SmartJet, it has a tiny air tank reservoir to boot and with a HobbyLobby 60% coupon, it makes it very nice.

I'm assuming Iwata support is very good?

Edited by aurfalien

Thanks Bruce.

It appears that Hobby Lobby will no longer allow use of coupons on any of there air brush compressors.

Total bummer.

I was looking at this knock off for ~$70;

https://www.amazon.com/PointZero-Portable-Airbrush-Compressor-Tankless/dp/B004KNBVM4/ref=pd_sbs_201_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004KNBVM4&pd_rd_r=721762f8-1a7d-11e9-9afe-e19854ff74f0&pd_rd_w=8beSR&pd_rd_wg=o7aSF&pf_rd_p=7d5d9c3c-5e01-44ac-97fd-261afd40b865&pf_rd_r=4TF2ZXK03XM4SJ21GVSW&psc=1&refRID=4TF2ZXK03XM4SJ21GVSW#customerReviews

I really like that Iwata Smart Jet although I understand it has no adjustable regulator.  I can put one on but still.

You will probably get as many brand suggestions as you get answers. Just my opinion, I would suggest a larger and the most quiet compressor that you can afford and have room for. My reasoning? The quiet part is fairly simple unless you have a separate room you could put it in. The bigger one is in case you would ever want to use it for something that requires more air than the little compressors produce. Comparing PSI and CFM between brands/compressors would be a good idea. I have a little compressor similar to the Smart Jet pictured but I don't use it.

I have some woodworking tools and my smallish CH pancake compressor is very handy. I use it to airbrush with too.

Your opinion may vary.

3 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Thanks Bruce.

It appears that Hobby Lobby will no longer allow use of coupons on any of there air brush compressors.

Total bummer.

https://www.amazon.com/PointZero-Portable-Airbrush-Compressor-Tankless/dp/B004KNBVM4/ref=pd_sbs_201_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004KNBVM4&pd_rd_r=721762f8-1a7d-11e9-9afe-e19854ff74f0&pd_rd_w=8beSR&pd_rd_wg=o7aSF&pf_rd_p=7d5d9c3c-5e01-44ac-97fd-261afd40b865&pf_rd_r=4TF2ZXK03XM4SJ21GVSW&psc=1&refRID=4TF2ZXK03XM4SJ21GVSW#customerReviews

I really like that Iwata Smart Jet although I understand it has no adjustable regulator.  I can put one on but still.

That Point Zero gets good reviews for the money but they also have one with a tank on it for about $20 more, also with good reviews. I have a PZ regulator/water separator and can only say it is well made/no complaints.  But I use a big 8 gal compressor of a different brand.

I've started using a 6 gallon pancake compressor.

The nice thing about it as that I can fill the tank in the garage and then bring the compressor inside for air brushing.

No noise to disturb the wife that way. ;)

A tank full will last me quite some time before I need to refill.

And I can use the compressor for other jobs other than just modeling.

Steve

7 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Thanks Bruce.

Total bummer.

I have this one but with the tank, I did a review video for it on my Youtube Channel, its a nice compressor.

Edited by martinfan5

56 minutes ago, porschercr said:

I agree with "martinfan5" decent little compressor.

I had that one and it worked pretty well.

However I went to Lowes and will most likely buy this one when I'm ready.

It's small, quiet, light and well priced.  Plus a 1 year warranty.  The PointZeros had subpar support as I hit them up a few times.

One just needs to add a moisture trap.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2-Gallon-Portable-Electric-Twin-Stack-Air-Compressor/1000226861

kobolt.png

22 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Wow

I use something like that to trim houses...

I wouldn't want that sitting beside my bench..it would drown out my music..!     I guess if you let it charge outside and then bring it inside...

It's actually as quiet as my old PointZero.  I had Lowes turn on a floor model for me.  Was really surprised as to how quiet it was.

Edited by aurfalien