Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rebuilding a 1:1

I have been doing some things this winter and have decided that I want to buy a vehicle and fix it up a try selling it this summer before I go to college. I have just been stumped on what type of car I want to do. I have found quite a few different cars that I can get for a reasonable price and was wondering what your guys opinion is on what I should do. 

• 70 something AMC pacer (with a bit of rust but not bad) $100 not running 

• 1978 dodge W150 318 no rust but no box (if I buy this one I will probably end up keeping it) $200 not running 

• 70ish brown Chrysler Newport 2door with 383 $300 not running

I know of a couple different bug but they are in ruff shape and I don’t know the price

•I also know of a couple different Ford and Chevy trucks that I could probably get for cheep.  

There are a few other cars I know of but these are the ones that I am most interested in. 

Edited by 426 pack

If your looking to make money your chances are slim. Best bet is on truck but no bed is a killer. If your looking for fun and experience go for the Chrysler with the 383. Car can be fun and engine and trans parts should be easy to get but not always cheep. Rest of car is hard to get parts for. This I know all to well. AMC is also difficult to get parts for and even less of a market for it.

10 hours ago, 426 pack said:

I have been doing some things this winter and have decided that I want to buy a vehicle and fix it up a try selling it this summer before I go to college.

Are you starting with some money already put away for college, or are you starting with little to nothing and trying to use the sweat equity you plan to put into vehicle sale to make that money? I hope it's the former.

10 hours ago, 426 pack said:

(if I buy this one I will probably end up keeping it)

:blink:

Wait until you are done with college, and have established yourself with a comfortable income to spend on a luxury item like a vehicle restoration project.

Just a word about reality...it's hard to make much money flipping low-end vehicles that need a lot of work, unless you think $1 per hour is pretty good pay. People very rarely get their money back out of fairly expensive rods and customs, either. 

While it IS possible to come out ahead if you find something not running that, with just a LITTLE work, will drag itself down the road, I really think the smart move with most old cars is to get something YOU like, wouldn't mind being stuck with, do a NICE job on it, and then ask a high price that actually reflects the effort you've put in. 

One thing is how long have the cars been sitting. If its been for quite a while the tires are probably shot. What are those going to cost. In addition you're going to need a battery. If a car is not running you don't know if the transmission is any good or even the brakes or the starter or a variety of other things.. All these things can be pricey.  If they are that cheap its for a good reason.

If the goal is to make some money I'd suggest doing something else. Other wise you run the risk of the venture turning into a money pit.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

The Pacer may be worth a go if it happens to be a Randall Jeep-AMC  conversion model with a 401 under its bonnet !

The Newport may be a Fury 'S-23' in actuality (although , unlikely) . If its V.I.N. is PS23N then buy it !

Wouldn't it be funny if that Dodge pickup was one of the few built with a powerhouse Mitsubishi naturally-aspirated diesel ? 

Here's a case for example. About 5 or 6 years back, I found an '89 GMC 1500 longbed pickup, 305, 5-speed, AC. Running, barely. On its way to the crusher. I offered $100 and dragged her home. The body was very straight, no rust, no accident damage, kinda ragged interior, evidence she'd been brutally and repeatedly overheated by a total moron.

Long story short, she required almost an entire engine rebuild, 2 cylinder heads (both cracked), a radiator, battery, exhaust work, serp belt, fluids, brake hoses, etc., and some EFI work. She ran great after that (I did all the work myself, of course), and when I totalled up all the parts, I had more in the thing JUST FOR PARTS than the same truck with a better interior was going for locally. In that case, I wouldn't even have made $1 per hour for my effort. I advertised her for what she was worth including a lowball number for my labor, and all I got was idiot tire kickers who wanted to pay $2500 less than I was asking.

Good thing I liked the truck. I'm still driving her pretty much daily, she runs fine (the EFI died and I converted her back to a carb), and she's one of my all-time favorite vehicles.

But no way to make money. None. Zero. Period.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Dad and I are in the process of bring my semi-neglected '98 XJ Cherokee back from the brink and in the last year have spent around a $1k to do so, It started simply enough last year with a new battery from the now closed Sam's store that wasn't far from here, but discovered a fuel leak, so instead of airing up the tires I left it parked until it was too close to our bi-annual emissions test (basically drive to the station, they plug into the OBD2 port and so long as it doesn't show any recent codes, you pass).  When looking for that leak, Dad found a rotted fuel line connection that is in the direct line of the winter salt spray had broken in two......by where the exhaust header attached to the crossover pipe. Fixed that and found that it wanted to over heat more than normal, considering the leaky radiator, but it passed the emissions test while overheating in the building the computer was getting read in!  Finally looked into that and found that besides the leaky radiator, that leak also rusted up the second, electric fan all 4.0l XJ's have so bad it would barely turn when forced and sounded like it was full of sand!  Well Dad managed to fine a beautiful, nicely made 3 row aluminum radiator for a shocking $100 and aux fan for less than $80 on Amazon, picked up a new water pump, just in case, from Napa and put those in over the course of a month (winter in Chicago with a garage that is less than great sucks) got those swapped in after I got new tires put on it before the work was started, only to find voltage and misfire issues. I ordered an Accel Super Tune-Up Kit and Dad swapped out the bad plug for now and put the rest of the tune up kit on it plus used some belt conditioner in case the belt was just shot (the tune up, radiator, and belt were installed at least a decade ago by us) and there is still an intermittent voltage issue that could be a combination of belt slip and dying alternator, but it works well enough and stays cool like it should. I took it to work on 1/18/19 and it worked great until I decided to take an extended drive home, only to have the brake pedal go straight to the floor in an emergency like situation (unexpected red light without time to stop normally or hammer down and make the yellow) and the warning light come on!  Luckily I was able to get it home with a combination of manual shifting the AW4 and using the hand brake to create enough drag to further slow and then hold the truck still!  Took a couple hours to get my heart rate back to a not elevated level, even though I got the truck home safely.  SInce a storm has blown in, we haven't had a chance to see what failed yet, but the below is a pretty good description of dealing with things on this truck lately, and likely the same for a similar project that you might buy.

ztw3g.jpg

If you look at the spot on the concrete by the left front tire in this pic, I should have put more thought into what that being there meant in relation to the brakes......................<_<

39671529413_f6071c711a_c.jpgIMG_20190106_125140_793 by bjoehandley, on Flickr

Thanks for all the advice and information on trying to fix and sell a 1:1 car. I know that there isn’t much money in fixing and selling cars and truck as many people have told me. I am not looking to make a lot of money the main reason I want to do it is to prove to all the people that have told me that I can’t do it wrong and it is something that I have wanted to try for a long time. The dodge truck, amc pacer and Newport are all ones that I was already planning on buying for myself anyways. I just thought that maybe one of them would be a good start so I would be perfectly fine if I ended up keeping them (I will probably get attached to them and end up keeping them anyway). 

12 hours ago, 440 Dakota said:

didn't you pick up a 66 or 67 Plymouth not that long ago ?? did you ever fool with it ??

Yeah I did get a 1967 Plymouth satellite last summer. It needs a lot more work to get to a point where I can sell it but it is also one of my top 5 dream cars so even if I could sell it I probably wouldn’t want to.  

This topic reminds me of something that is almost universal in most things in life: Want to make a million dollars? First start with two million dollars.

I admire your desire to want to do what you are proposing, but in the end you will spend more money than you will make on the vehicle. Find something else to invest in if you want to make money or buy one of the vehicles if you want to wrench and learn more about repairing vehicles and can afford to spend the time and money doing so. Either way you will get an education and be better off for it.

You have to get lucky (most of the time) when trying to flip cars. I bought a '75 Maverick and a '80 Sunbird for $25 each. The seller said that didn't run and hadn't run in years. Brought a couple charged batteries and a 5 gallon jug of gas. Drove both away and sold them for $200 each the next day. I have owed 20-30 other cars that I lost money on.

16 hours ago, 426 pack said:

Thanks for all the advice and information on trying to fix and sell a 1:1 car. I know that there isn’t much money in fixing and selling cars and truck as many people have told me. I am not looking to make a lot of money the main reason I want to do it is to prove to all the people that have told me that I can’t do it wrong and it is something that I have wanted to try for a long time. The dodge truck, amc pacer and Newport are all ones that I was already planning on buying for myself anyways. I just thought that maybe one of them would be a good start so I would be perfectly fine if I ended up keeping them (I will probably get attached to them and end up keeping them anyway). 

If you look at it as a learning experience then it makes sense, as said as far as making money it doesn't make sense. What ever you spend can be considered as tutition. You definitely want to pick a project car that you like.