Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gregg's Status

I am sure that we are all hoping for the best for him. For anyone who has had back problems, and that's a large percentage of us it is one of the most debilitating medical problems that you can be hit with so we all sympathize with him  whether we're facing his level of pain  or something much less.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's weird,I never read this post before.I read it today for the first time.I was in a roll over accident in my Jeep back in 2012..I too had the same surgery about 3 years ago.The spinal cord stimulator.As you wrote,they hook up a temporary unit for 7 to 10 days with wires outside the body.Then they permanently implant the stimulator.If you've ever been to a chiropractor and they put on the vibrating pads where your pain is located.Then the pads are left on for about 1/2 hour.Thats what this surgery is,except they implant a battery and wires into your body near the area that is giving you pain.The patient then charges the stimulator battery every few days,and controls the strength of the vibrating through an outside unit.Well at first it worked a little for about 6 months or so,and then after awhile I just stopped using the unit.It wasn't helping me at all.And now to this day,I still suffer from lower back pain.And to top it off,I have a battery the size of a credit card in my body,along with the wires doing nothing.Ive been thinking lately about having it removed.I hope Gregg had better luck with his surgery..But for me,it was a waste of time and money,and I'm back to square one.Back on pain meds,and having no relief with the stimulator.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:54 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

As many of you know, Gregg has had chronic back and neck pain for more than a few years. He had surgery number 8 on Jan 4th to test-implant a spinal stimulator to relieve his pain without drugs. That test worked well, and while they had to remove the temporary unit, he goes in for a permanent implant on February 19th. Overall, I think this warrants cautious optimism. 

In the meantime, he's working on the next MCM issue, which will be the special contest issue. It will go to all the subscribers when mailed. 

I'll keep you all posted as I get information. Thanks for being patient.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Update from Gregg --

The implant didn't work, but conventional painkillers are working adequately. 

Until they don't.

I had that option offered to me but I declined.

They say I need another fusion done on maybe three more levels but after the first failed I will nt do another until I no longer can walk!

I eventually weened myself off pain meds and just deal with the back pain which isn"t a pleasant thing.

You acclimate to it to a degree but above that level you just have to become sedintary until it gets to a point you can function half way normally again.

Not what I would call "quality" of life but all one cn do is live one day at a time.

I was at the local VA clinic earlier in the week and they offered me acupuncture for my chronic back pain.  They would insert 5 short needles into my ear that stay in for a few days and get replaced every 2 weeks.  I signed up for the program.

55 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

You acclimate to it to a degree but above that level you just have to become sedintary until it gets to a point you can function half way normally again.

Not what I would call "quality" of life but all one cn do is live one day at a time.

There is a danger to that as well. My dad is in this situation. Hates the meds so he sits. All day every day. His muscles aren't being used, so they don't support him as well and his pain level goes up. This is a very difficult situation to work up from.