Model Cars Magazine Forum

On a car of that caliber, that damage could well exceed $50k. Just the chrome strip on the far side of the hood, even if it only has a small dent, takes a very highly skilled craftsman, or several (depending on whether it's stainless, chromed brass, etc) many hours to correct so the fit and finish are perfect again.

Sad to see this happen to that nice Delahaye? The event organisers probably have good insurance that will cover this, unless the company is proved negligent and a payout refused.  Restorers have repaired / restored much worse!  What about the classic sports/racing cars that get pranged at classic race meets? They have to be repaired at the owners expense. At the end of the day it is just a car (albeit a rare expensive one) and can be re built, but to get this into perspective, it could have been a lot worse, so hopefully no one got killed or injured in the accident.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

I wonder about the people that were between the car and the backdrop. I don't see them in the second pic.

Did anyone look under the billboard?  Good news is that it looks as if it was mainly a framework that held the banner.  Metal-on-metal crime.  I'm surprised this didn't get more publicity at the time. 

It was over 8 years ago...

"The Best in Show car was a 1936 Delahaye 135 Competition 'Disappearing' Convertible, an elegant Deco sculpture, which itself nearly disappeared under the marquee behind the winner's podium, at the end of the day.  A freak accident which, amazingly, found no one nearby to injure... whether sabotage, a mischevious djinn, or plain ol' Friday the 13th, the inimitable sound of a $6 million car being crunched was a shock to everyone's sensibilities.  I shed a tear - not for the car, but for Gordon and Courtney, who didn't deserve such bad luck after all the effort to create this amazing event.  While ultimately an 'insurance moment', that sound and my shock have resonated for days hence, a memento mori: we are temporary caretakers of our treasures, and exit this world with nothing.  What truly matters can't be found within a machine."

http://thevintagent2011.blogspot.com/2010/08/pebble-beach-week-2010-quail.html