Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wix 65 Cobra 427

cobraman

Many of the cars made for Wix but Crown Premiums and Icons are at least as nice, if not better than the Mint cars.  And usually cheaper.   I have a 67 GTO from Icons and a convertible from Crown.  Both have the details like Mint cars.   I have the Cobra.   Nicer than the Mint car I think.   Athe 53 Vette for Wix looks better than the Franklin Mint versions I have seen.  Those are prety crude around the headlights.  

Great score on the Cobra. I think mine was 30 PLUS shipping, so you really did good on this one.

33 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Now you have gone and done it, got my juices flowing.  Did not know about a silver one.

LOL.  I was trying to find a blue one to send a link to another collector and found this one.   Bought it immediately.   Don't seem to be as many of the silver, but it had to come live with my wife's blue one.  Her birthday is 4/27/65, and her last name initials are SC, so we have to have these, right?

Hope you find one.  

Silver one, for comparison. 

This is supposed to be a Shelby color according to the box.

Supposedly 1 of 3264 or something like that.   I got way lucky on this one.   A few cents under $30 to my door.   There are a couple under $50 on the bay now.  But mostly seem higher and I haven't seen them til recently.   There is a white race version apparently as well.  Search "wix Cobra"- that will show a lot of blue ones and the occasional silver and others. 

I must say I do NOT uderstand collectors that leave things unopened and undisplayed.  I know you may not have room for everything, but still.... How can you buy a hundred diecast cars and leave them in a box in a closet?   Of course, I have bought things that haven't gotten built or displayed because I didn't have time to build or a place for a particular place.   I'm selling down now to try to get to a place where I can have most everything out to see.    And at least rotate cars in and out to display.  

IMG_20190130_191310038.jpg

IMG_20190130_191318004.jpg

IMG_20190130_191336701.jpg

IMG_20190130_191351164.jpg

IMG_20190130_191403429.jpg

IMG_20190130_191252437.jpg

I will admit to being one of those who leave a lot of my diecast in the original box. I have several hundred Shelby Cobra's and 5 display cases in my home which can only hold so many. With the dust problem we have here in Arizona I rather have much of my collection dust free. Many of my collection are in storage cabinets in the garage. I myself see no point in rotating them because nobody much gets to see them anyway. Just the way I look at it and just my opinion. No right or wrong way to enjoy your collection .

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

I will admit to being one of those who leave a lot of my diecast in the original box. I have several hundred Shelby Cobra's and 5 display cases in my home which can only hold so many. With the dust problem we have here in Arizona I rather have much of my collection dust free. Many of my collection are in storage cabinets in the garage. I myself see no point in rotating them because nobody much gets to see them anyway. Just the way I look at it and just my opinion. No right or wrong way to enjoy your collection .

Come on Ray - you do not have a display area like Floyd Wright?   These are 1/18 which take up a lot of room.  I have all of my larger that 1/64 diecast crammed into display cases but with over 2,000 Hotwheels, matchbox, etc. there is no way in Hades I could display them all.

IMG_3803.PNG

I wish I had that set up. Two of my display cases I converted from gun cabinets and two are china cabinets. Since my daughter doesn't live here anymore I have two spare bedrooms so I think about converting one to a display room but we have company from time to time and the two rooms as bedrooms come in handy. Although there is a hotel not too far away. :D

If I didn't have a wife, that's how my house would look!  As it is, I get these shelves at ceiling and a few other places in the house.   I haae all scales so they are a bit of everywhere, except kitchen and master bath.   Wife says no cars in those two.  But we do have cars in the hall bath and family room bath.  LOL.   When we moved in in 2016, I had mostly 1/18 up there, but I've been selling those and making room for more 1/24/25s.  

And I've been selling my 1/24 builtups from the past 30 years to make room for new builds and diecasts.  My ex had 6 boxes with 32 each in them.   So I sell a car, keep the case.   Put a die cast in the case.  

At one point, we had about 45 cars on a two level coffee table we have.   Have to put loose nice cars up when the grandbaby comes though.  

Ok, back to Cobras.  and my Cobras are in a case on coffee table in front of wife,becasue those are "hers".  

IMG_20181202_104309367.jpg

IMG_20181202_104246296.jpg

IMG_20181202_104301133.jpg

12 hours ago, randyc said:

If I didn't have a wife, that's how my house would look!  As it is, I get these shelves at ceiling and a few other places in the house.   I haae all scales so they are a bit of everywhere, except kitchen and master bath.   Wife says no cars in those two.  But we do have cars in the hall bath and family room bath.  LOL.   When we moved in in 2016, I had mostly 1/18 up there, but I've been selling those and making room for more 1/24/25s.  

And I've been selling my 1/24 builtups from the past 30 years to make room for new builds and diecasts.  My ex had 6 boxes with 32 each in them.   So I sell a car, keep the case.   Put a die cast in the case.  

At one point, we had about 45 cars on a two level coffee table we have.   Have to put loose nice cars up when the grandbaby comes though.  

Ok, back to Cobras.  and my Cobras are in a case on coffee table in front of wife,becasue those are "hers".  

I think you are missing the obvious Randy, you need to raise the ceiling. :lol: