Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red line tires: How to

33 minutes ago, George Bojaciuk said:

Looking good! Tighten the screw a bit to make the stripe tighter. Clean the compass point after each tire.  I prefer using flats. Looks more realistic and doesn’t tend to run! 

Keep practicing! You are just about there. However, looking great!!!

Thanks for the tips, I will do that need attempt..

I didn't pursue a drafting career because I couldn't master inkies.  One of the things that was important was having the pen perpendicular to the surface so that both sides of the pen tip touched the surface when making a wide line.

This simple explanation might help a little.

http://art-design-glossary.musabi.ac.jp/ruling-pen/

On 1/22/2019 at 4:56 AM, Flat32 said:

I didn't pursue a drafting career because I couldn't master inkies...

Man, I hear ya'. Inking drawings was real stressor when I was in school, and early in the engineering part of my career. One slip, one drip, you start over.

CAD and big printers rule...but it kinda peez me off that draftsmen, designers and engineers today get off so easy. ;)

I learned how to process photographic film and make prints too. It just ain't fair that anybody and his dog can just point-shoot-print.  B)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a set of nice drafting tools a former boss gave me to help me when painting signs/drawing.  I've used them some, but now I'll be trying this as well.   Could be used for wide whites to make a sharp outer ring, then fill in with a wider brush I would think.   Double lines too.   Just tighten or loosen and make second set of lines?  

Good stuff.  May be time to dig out that book by the funny-name guy referenced above.  Look again since I'm doing more projects like this now.  

14 hours ago, George Bojaciuk said:

Lol! That is a funny last name!

But you ALWAYS know when a telemarketer is calling because they can't get your name right.   Same here.   And always have to spell it for most anything you do.   I'm with ya there.   

I have an old Soviet drafting set (brought with me when I immigrated to U.S. decades ago) and I use those ruling pens to draw traces on copper-clad when I make one-of circuit boards.  The Testors paint acts as etching resist.  I can see that ruling pen should do a good job for marking tires (if one can keep the pen steady enough).RulingPen.jpeg.d411e9dababd387bd71a15d1adee812c.jpeg

Edited by peteski