Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Chevy Corvette 427 L/88 Convertible resto Update! 2/2/19

MrObsessive

23 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Last I knew, George was in the hospital and I take it he may be back home but I don't know how well he's doing health wise. :(

I had heard this at our club meeting a few weeks ago........his wife had emailed someone in the club about him. 

He was at the toy show today, set up as usual. Looked fairly good, said he was in the hospital four days. He didn't have any appealing glue bombs for me this month. Did buy a reissued AMT '83 Z/28 NIB for $15, which is cheaper than I could get it even with coupon at Hobby Lobby. Don't really NEED it, but hated to walk away from him empty-handed, y'unnerstand....B)

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on what's happening with the 'Vette. Interior's all done and now I can focus on getting the body ready for paint and such.

P1016622-vi.jpg
P1016623-vi.jpg

The seats had been stripped and repainted, dashboard gauges added this time around and the dash top itself was repainted. In hindsight, I meant to make the seat backs a bit more one piece, but I'm not going to worry about it at this point as this will be another shelf model and not a contest goer. Just a model that I've been wanting to redo for quite some time.

Steering wheel was redone with the spokes painted with a Molotow Chrome pen and I added PE keys and nameplate to the dash.

Embossing power was used for the carpeting this time........something I had no idea about in 1988.

P1016627-vi.jpg

Just a mock up with the wheels on to get a view of the stance. I'm of the mind to strip the wheels and paint them in Alclad dull aluminum and paint the caps with the Molotow chrome pen. The redline tires are Round 2's parts pack ones.........VERY nice as the redlines are very well done and are correctly distanced in relation to the wheel diameter.

P1016629-vi.jpg
P1016630-vi.jpg

I bought a parts kit as the one of the tops was missing. Corvettes to me look really good with either top on it, so I sought out  a cheap parts kit on the 'Bay to get it.

P1016628-vi.jpg

Chassis detail redone with some better painting. No brake or fuel lines this time around......I'll save that for another project later. 

That's all for now. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll have this painted and polished up and then it's downhill to getting this all redone.

Thanks for tuning in everyone!

7 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I'm of the mind to strip the wheels and paint them in Alclad dull aluminum and paint the caps with the Molotow chrome pen. 

P1016630-vi.jpg

You'll want two different colors/finishes between the steel wheels themselves (argent paint) and the trim rings. I've seen trim rings in both brushed finish and full shiny chrome, but you definitely want a different look between the two. 

Molotow on the center caps is a good idea. And then you can do the black grooves in the caps with a water-based black paint when the Molotow is good and dry. B)

6 hours ago, kelson said:

Are you going to paint the hardtop body color?,I've seen them in black vinyl and it makes a nice contrast.

Actually, I'm not crazy about the vinyl roof on those. While it's not bad, the body colored hardtops to me look better, especially on a sports car. Mine will eventually be painted '68 Corvette Bronze BTW. A color I had mixed by my local paint shop.

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You'll want two different colors/finishes between the steel wheels themselves (argent paint) and the trim rings. I've seen trim rings in both brushed finish and full shiny chrome, but you definitely want a different look between the two. 

Molotow on the center caps is a good idea. And then you can do the black grooves in the caps with a water-based black paint when the Molotow is good and dry. B)

Since your post Snake, I noticed that the parts kit I got did include the wheels. I'll leave them alone and just paint the wheel section and leave the outer rings chrome. ;)

I really like where you are going with this Bill. I did one of those when the kit first came out in Black, with a red interior. Where it is now, I do not know, but I do have another unbuilt one, as well as several Revell 69's of various versions. I recently got a MPC 69 builtup that is pretty complete and very clean. I plan to do to it what you did on your 74. A clean stock rebuild. Gotta hit the sack now Bill.

• 2 months later...

OK.........I'm off till next Sunday night, so I figured I needed to spend some time and get this resto painted and then hopefully done before it's back to work.

As per my usual practice these days, I first put on a light dust coat of Plastikote T-35 Gray. This was then followed by a couple coats of BIN Zinsser sealer. Here's the body before the BIN........

P1016636-vi.jpg

And the following pics are with the BIN Zinsser on...............

P1016637-vi.jpg
P1016638-vi.jpg
P1016639-vi.jpg
P1016640-vi.jpg

After a bit, I put on another couple coats of primer, then came the color coats. This is 1968 Corvette Bronze as mixed by my local paint shop in a touch up amount.

P1016641-vi.jpg
P1016643-vi.jpg

I initially sanded off a couple dusties and then put on a couple final coats which were thinned down a bit. I'll let this sit for a couple days and then this will be clear coated. After that fully cures, I'll then rub out and polish the clear. The soft top will eventually be painted a beige color......that was one of the top colors for '68 along with black or white.

So, I'm at the point after painting that I'm on the downside of this resto. Then it's putting on the little bits and pieces, BMF and then getting it all together and getting it to sit right. I hope to get this done during the week, but with being off and having other things to do, that might be more optimistic than realistic. ;)

Thanks for tuning in!

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Looking good, but I'd have never guessed that was '68 Corvette Bronze. In the pics, it looks more like Hugger Orange or Hemi Orange. Maybe it looks darker in different light. 

I had my paint guy mix this in a two stage paint so it dried a bit flat..........once it's cleared the hue should darken up just a bit. Not to mention, I have a fluorescent lamp just above the body and incandescent ones just in front of it.

I might take pics outside once it's all done on top of the car, but with a Mulberry tree in full bloom at the back of the house and my car parked right under it..........you guessed it----the car is being bombed with Mulberries, not to mention bird poo-poo. :blink:

On 6/2/2019 at 3:31 PM, MrObsessive said:

I had my paint guy mix this in a two stage paint so it dried a bit flat..........once it's cleared the hue should darken up just a bit. Not to mention, I have a fluorescent lamp just above the body and incandescent ones just in front of it.

I might take pics outside once it's all done on top of the car, but with a Mulberry tree in full bloom at the back of the house and my car parked right under it..........you guessed it----the car is being bombed with Mulberries, not to mention bird poo-poo. :blink:

Funny how a color looks one shade and after clearing it, a totally different one!  Nice work as usual Bill, you seem to be able to crank out these restorations quickly and cleanly.

As for the tree and birds, I would either get a car cover or borrow a chainsaw!

Thanks All! Just a couple hours ago I got the body clear coated. So far so good as it's in the dehydrator right now. I put it in the dehydrator as I used an enamel clear. I didn't want to tempt fate with using another type of clear and have a possible reaction (bad) with the paint. Not to mention, enamel clears can be notoriously slow to dry, so this speeds things up just a bit.

I hope to get this rubbed out fully by the weekend and then I can get this all buttoned up.

• 3 weeks later...

OK as promised, here are a few pics with the paint all rubbed out. I had taken these earlier, but I'm just now carving out some time to get them up on Fotki and showing them here.

I'm finally nearing the end of this rebuild and it's just  a matter of getting some BMF on, the chrome rockers, inner fenders, firewall and other bits and pieces. I have the soft top and it'll be painted a beige color per one of the soft top colors offered in '68.

P1016644-vi.jpg
P1016645-vi.jpg
P1016646-vi.jpg
P1016647-vi.jpg
P1016648-vi.jpg

After it's all said and done, I'll take some "beauty" shots and maybe I'll get a few outside pics to highlight the Corvette Bronze.

Edited by MrObsessive
More pics added with text