Model Cars Magazine Forum

ICM 2019 1/24

niteowl7710

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bbowser said:

Any news on the Renaults?

I just checked several big on-line vendors.  Two of them have the 1/35 scale Paris Taxis (one with a load of French infantry going to the Marne, one without).  No word on the 1/24 kits yet. It seems to take a while for ICM kits to show up with American vendors.  

For anybody wondering about the 1/24 ICM Model T's: I'm working on a Speedster right now, and it's a very nice kit.  Other on-line reviewers say the same about all their 1/24 Model T's. 

It could probably be built in a couple of hours without extra detailing.  Getting the 2-piece brass parts together takes some care, like the headlights and carbide generator.  These parts are NOT molded in brass on my kit, they are gray plastic like the rest.  Which is OK, they need to be filled and sanded, which would destroy any plating anyway.  I painted them Gloss Black, waited overnight, and airbrushed them with Testor's Brass lacquer, which worked fine. That Testors Brass also works with brush-painting, so I used it to dry-brush the big brass "FORD" nameplate in the middle of the grille.

The biggest knock against the kit is no separate chassis, it's molded as part of the fenders.  Probably not an issue unless the builder wants to cut off the fenders.  I may try that in a future Speedster build.

ICM missed a few details, like the hood latches, which would be tiny in 1/24.  Though they did throw in some other micro-details, like the 4 tiny, separate exhaust manifold wing nuts, and the complex steering wheel quadrant with separate spark advance and throttle levers .

A slightly bigger problem: ICM didn't include the lift handles on both sides of the hood.  Those are pretty visible on the real car, but not that hard to make or find.  Looking online, some Speedsters had the hood sides cut down for better cooling.  I went that way, which took care of the lift handle problem.  That also exposes the engine, so I'll probably add wiring.  Not a very big job on a Model T.

Edited by Mike999
omit2