Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O Mack DM600 Dump

I haven't unpacked it yet, so I don't know what's in the box or what mods it will need to fit the dump body....  I've never built one of these.  Apart from a stalled Freightliner, I haven't touched a truck kit since 1986.   I gather from other threads that it has an oddball rear bogie with a wide axle spread (I'll probably change that), and the cab/hood were modified from the first issue, so that needs correcting.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Enjoy the DM600!! Typical MPC fitment and vagueness but a good kit!

I'm discovering that, but I've tackled the AMT Freightliner, so compared with that, this is falling together.

15 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Neat choice of truck, should be a tuff dumper

Thanks, that's the plan.   I'm considering some bigger wheels & tyres, but I'm not really into the AITM ones and I'm not sure what else is available.

Frame is mostly done.  I added the front suspension today, but forgot to take a photo.   I've also assembled the rear bogie and modified it to a scale 54" axle spread.  I did take a photo of that, but the sunlight washed it out.

DM600_05-vi.jpg

This is the next job - cut the cab straight down and add a filler piece to the hood.

DM600_06-vi.jpg

Surgery on the cab.   I've begun to fill the gap.

DM600_08-vi.jpg

Dump body parts out of the stripper.   It looks worse now the paint's off it, but most of the glue damage should be hidden when it's reassembled.  If it ends up looking a bit knocked about, probably no bad thing anyway for a dump truck.  I'm going to try making a ram from K&S tubing and I might replace the "wood" pieces with basswood.

DM600_09-vi.jpg

Thanks.   I'm not doing anything to the cowl vent, I'm just correcting the hood/cab mating edges on the driver's side.   It should be a straight edge, as it apparently was in the original issue of this kit.  Later issues have the same cab as the DM800, with a step to fit the steel hood.  To be accurate, it needs a piece cutting off the cab to create a straight edge, and a corresponding filler piece added to the hood.  Even with the steel hood, there should still be a straight panel line there.

• 3 weeks later...