Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O Mack DM600 Dump

I bought some 22" Mack wheels and tyres from Moluminum.  They came out almost twice the cost of the kit after shipping and taxes, but hey... 

I painted the interior and inside the cab green.  It's maybe closer to a B model interior green, but it'll get toned down with some weathering powder.  Cab exterior, body and wheel spokes will be red.

DM600_18-vi.jpg

Edited by dodgefever

Oh yeah, it wasn't meant to be a dig at Jamie.  He was easy to work with and the parts are great.  It was more the add-on costs resulting from the poor exchange rate, shipping and then being clobbered with import tax and a handling charge on top.  Robbers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's the frame with the oil tank added.

DM600_23-vi.jpg

Rough mock up with the body.   The body will sit higher when it's mounted properly.  I cut new greedy boards from 1/16" basswood, which will be stained and weathered.

DM600_26-vi.jpg

Pintle plate - still have to make the hitch itself, and yes, I should have done that before I started throwing paint around...  Not sure whether to add some tail lights, or stick with the ones on the body.

DM600_25-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, they help to keep me motivated...

I got some work done on the interior today.  I made new shifters from copper wire and mounted them further back than the kit locations, because all my references show them around there.  I was planning to mount the kit shift knobs on top, but I seem to have lost those, so it's either make some, or use the spare DM800 ones from the kit. 

DM600_29-vi.jpg

Thanks, it's my first attempt at using weathering powder.  I used the cheap set from Revell, applied as a wash dissolved in diluted Humbrol DecalFix, following the procedure in this video below.   As an aside: I've never heard anyone pronounce the 't' in 'moistened' before!  :wacko: