Model Cars Magazine Forum

First for 19

Michael in Illinois

8 hours ago, Michael in Illinois said:

The Revell 66 GTO built with my first ever vinyl top attempt. MCW Mist Blue Metallic 6509 was used. The engine is wired with MAD distributor. 

20190122_131129.jpg

20190122_131151.jpg

20190122_131205.jpg

Looks great! Like Snake, I'm curious to know how you did the vinyl top. I've never done one but will be doing two '65 Mustangs soon with vinyl tops, one white and one black. Any tips and tricks are appreciated!

16 hours ago, Safire6 said:

Looks great! Like Snake, I'm curious to know how you did the vinyl top. I've never done one but will be doing two '65 Mustangs soon with vinyl tops, one white and one black. Any tips and tricks are appreciated!

I used evergreen strips for both the trim and the "seams" item #102. I sanded the "seams" down as well as the trim. I used Tamiya flat white as a base on the roof. After that dried I shot the roof with Tamiya gloss white from a distance, maybe 18-24 inches away. This gave me a splattering effect. After that dried another coat of flat white. I cant take all the credit. I searched this on this board and found this method. Thanks for the comments and hope it helps.