Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making wheels role

Good Afternoon all from balmy northern Idaho,

Always struggle with Revell wheel mounting.  Not the models with metal pins, the ones with plastic extensions of the axle.  Expect 'click' and free rotation, does not always happen.

Would appreciate any tips and or info.

Thanks, Mike

I have been wondering on my latest project, how to make the wheels more sturdy. They flop around like crazy. I had considered gluing them solid, but wasn't sure if rotating wheels was considered better than not. Thanks for the answer, mine will get the glue from now on!

Its usually the parting seems on the little pins that prevent the snap on type wheels from rolling freely. VERY careful sanding of the pin to remove the seem helps a lot. The other issue is that there can be a little flash in the holes of the wheel backs, again, very careful sanding or knife work can fix it but the tolerances are very small. Another thing that can gum up the works is paint, if you want a free rolling wheel leave the pins and the holes of the wheel backs bare plastic. Obviously there are drawbacks to rolling wheels but those are some tips for getting them if it matters to you.

I want to add that I've got a '61 T-Bird promo that I have to CONSTANTLY make sure there's a penny or something in front of one of its tires. Failing that, it's already rolled off the shelf and on to the floor! No damage, but reinforces why I don't like rolling models. It needs a case, but at the moment I have none for it.

I had a pal who was of the mind that a modelof a car should roll, because cars roll. Period. So every model he built, rolled. I advised against it, but he was adamant.

He asked me over once to help out with a bathroom remodel which included removing plaster and lathe. As you ight imagine it requires some force to remove that sort of thing. Even though his shelves were not on the same wall, but an adjoining wall, we vibrated his models right off the shelves. That evening, he discovered the carnage. 20-30 models, which had purposely been up on high shelves, (out of the reach of little monsters known as children) had come crashing down onto the hardwood floor. He mourned for days. 

Image result for on knees noooo