Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya: Toyota TS050 Hybrid Le Mans 2018

martinfan5

And it looks like Tamiya is gonna give us two new kits for 2019, a pre order listing has showed up for a 1/24th scale plastic model kit for the TS050, a release date of April is being shown, far as I know, this kit has not been officially announced yet.

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/433adivnnzmc86pfvihm.html

Will update this post when more info and or photo's become available.

Edited by martinfan5

6 hours ago, maltsr said:

Excellent - can't wait!

Yup yup yup...... Only makes sense that they did this. With the 1/32 and the 1/10th RC done, I was surprised this wasnt the kit announcement from the Tamiya Toy Fair. Also with it being the first Japanese manufacturer win at Le Mans since the Mazda 787b I'm not surprised they're making it. I'll be doing at least one.......heck, who am I kidding I'm sure I'll get more than one.

Just now, Jhedir6 said:

Yup yup yup...... Only makes sense that they did this. With the 1/32 and the 1/10th RC done, I was surprised this wasnt the kit announcement from the Tamiya Toy Fair. Also with it being the first Japanese manufacturer win at Le Mans since the Mazda 787b I'm not surprised they're making it. I'll be doing at least one.......heck, who am I kidding I'm sure I'll get more than one.

Well it turns out (remember it's the "missing number kit") the Ford GT had been in development for something like 18 months by the time it finally officially broke cover at Tamiya Fair.  It's presumed they wanted to make it accurate to the actual production street car, rather than the early auto show prototypes.  

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

A few of us have been talking about it here since Dec 29th,  but the thread fell back to page 2, easy to miss

I swear that I did a search before posting!  Sorry, I have no problem if the Admin deletes this thread.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, 89AKurt said:

I swear that I did a search before posting!  Sorry, I have no problem if the Admin deletes this thread.

You did your due diligence, I wouldn't worry about it Kurt.  I don't know how many different threads there are on Gravity Paints and they seem to keep multiplying like rabbits.

3 hours ago, Jim N said:

You did your due diligence, I wouldn't worry about it Kurt.  I don't know how many different threads there are on Gravity Paints and they seem to keep multiplying like rabbits.

I noticed that too.  Perhaps when people start a thread, they overlook the tag box.  Being a responsible forum troll takes discipline.

17 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Actual photos of the kit, it will have a engine( detail)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tamiyamodelmagazine/permalink/10156588663699821/

Here are some higher res and additional pics (right click the image and choose "Open image in new tab") 

https://tamiyablog.com/2019/01/tamiya-24349-toyota-gazoo-racing-ts50-hybrid-nuremberg-toy-fair-2019/

Unfortunately it will only have gearbox detail as that will be partially visible through the closed rear bodywork, and also serves the purpose of anchoring the rear wishbones and driveshafts. Sadly there is no engine to speak of. If there were, you would see radiators, turbos, exhaust pipes and an actual engine block on the sprues. Also, there are no images of the TS050 engine bay anywhere to be found so it's obvious Toyota would rather not share that kind of sensitive information, despite Audi and Porsche ending their Prototype programs.

Here's a breakdown: 

ts050_sprue_001.jpg

#1 is the monocoque/cockpit (Electrical boxes/switches on the right), terminating with the simplest representation of an engine block I've ever seen with an attachment point for the gearbox at the end. This is very similar to how the Tamiya SF70H gearbox attached to its monocoque. 
#2 is the top of the gearbox with the upper wishbones.
#3 is the gearbox itself with mounting points for the suspension/driveshafts, plus the rear crash structure. 

Credit goes to Scaleautofactory for the image. 

Edited by Turberticus

6 hours ago, Turberticus said:

Here are some higher res and additional pics (right click the image and choose "Open image in new tab") 

https://tamiyablog.com/2019/01/tamiya-24349-toyota-gazoo-racing-ts50-hybrid-nuremberg-toy-fair-2019/

Unfortunately it will only have gearbox detail as that will be partially visible through the closed rear bodywork, and also serves the purpose of anchoring the rear wishbones and driveshafts. Sadly there is no engine to speak of. If there were, you would see radiators, turbos, exhaust pipes and an actual engine block on the sprues. Also, there are no images of the TS050 engine bay anywhere to be found so it's obvious Toyota would rather not share that kind of sensitive information, despite Audi and Porsche ending their Prototype programs.

Here's a breakdown: 

ts050_sprue_001.jpg

#1 is the monocoque/cockpit (Electrical boxes/switches on the right), terminating with the simplest representation of an engine block I've ever seen with an attachment point for the gearbox at the end. This is very similar to how the Tamiya SF70H gearbox attached to its monocoque. 
#2 is the top of the gearbox with the upper wishbones.
#3 is the gearbox itself with mounting points for the suspension/driveshafts, plus the rear crash structure. 

Credit goes to Scaleautofactory for the image. 

Ok, thanks for the info, I was going off of what someone else said about the engine detail.

28 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

The box art says "Authentic Engine & Suspension Detail"...apparently we're stretching the meaning of authentic and detail a bit these days.

That's not the official box art. Steve from Hiroboy created a "preview" box art for preorders on his website and used an image of the RC car and probably cut/pasted the text.

Edited by Turberticus

• 1 month later...