Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Testarossa Renovation & Completion

Twokidsnosleep

I have been building other subjects the last while and not here much. This gets my mojo running so I will post lots about it

Here is my first attempt at putting together a Pocher model. 

Now it is a metal body/ plastic parts from the exotic collection. I can Hear Harry roll over in his grave and Cato's eyes roll back in his head, but here is where I choose to start my Pocherism

So, Ferrari Testarossa, semi assembled by nice old guy in States with failing eyesight and health bought about five years ago now.

Pretty clean body work and decent interior. Engine not started and a detail upgrade set provided.

These are pics in my big woodworkshop as it is 16 pounds and just under 2 feet long. I  plan on doing sub assembly work in my model room and put it all together in the big shop.

IMG_1370.thumb.JPG.4877955a13f2f91b190dfd20abf3ba12.JPG

IMG_1371.thumb.JPG.8b7feb1b61e3cd2bb40d538b663e7688.JPG

IMG_1372.thumb.JPG.54799cfce511d9027d26d321d3823f6f.JPG

IMG_1373.thumb.JPG.51e6c3edb3e2b1e349efde42c1bb5c9a.JPG

IMG_1374.thumb.JPG.debd81122732eae9533850754abf79f4.JPG

I have an F40 that needs similar treatment and show it in the WIP display shelving for my Pocher collection....a lot messy at the moment

IMG_1360.thumb.JPG.6738b435f89e13068b3f8c977ae51ee8.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

The big knock on these Pocher versions is they cheaped out on the plastic and used ABS. It makes the car look very toyish inside. The metal bodywork and paint is very good and I am hoping not to mess with that too much.

IMG_1373.thumb.JPG.c2726f303627747251cb47cbf7ef1880.JPG

My guy got some after market mats that look nice, but the dog shoot brown dash and horrid leather texture seats are frankly appalling. I have a research pic with black dash and nice leather

The driver seat was loose and kept falling out as I maneuvered this lug around for photos....so it volunteered for the first surgery and dip into the Easy Off!!

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.e618cabfd343d474448cd618ee6c12d0.JPGIMG_1399.thumb.JPG.e975a85634ec1ba10932606cf11366cd.JPG

Plastic seat adjuster and headrest supports cut off and new aluminum rod pieces made to fit

IMG_1402.thumb.JPG.a9224810db5ea7472bfa6e92b6c56689.JPG

IMG_1403.thumb.JPG.23290affa528de3eee49c56dd8d9a6bd.JPG

That was last night's after work, dinner and chores modelling.

I am going to cover the seats and interior in real leather,  just have to find some thin enough about 0.5mm. Leatherwork is another hobby of mine so I am completely into doing that.

Plastic seat adjustment bar to remove and replace

IMG_1398.JPG

Bar added and a little swatch of potential leather for the seat...it is too thick still at about 1.0mm

IMG_1401.JPG

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

1 hour ago, Bobdude said:

After the Ferrari that I assembled/built was completed,because the body is diecast,the coil springs supplied are sorely lacking.Standoffs from the belly pan were needed so that the suspension wouldn't sag.

Will keep an eye out for that.

I was planning on messing with some of those suspension components as I see my F40 suspension has failed in the rear 

22 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Now that is looking FANTASTIC, bud!!!!!!…….love that F40 too!!!

Cheers man, I am having fun jumping back into a leather hobby

Trying to upgrade this beast into something more presentable. The body and paint are really good, just the toy-like interior and engine need some work.

God it is big though, have not worked at this scale before

3 minutes ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Cheers man, I am having fun jumping back into a leather hobby

Trying to upgrade this beast into something more presentable. The body and paint are really good, just the toy-like interior and engine need some work.

God it is big though, have not worked at this scale before

Its looking amazing!!, I here ya on the size....this 1/12 Countach is the first large scale I've ever built too. Thought it would be the only one, but I now have a Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 935 that I will build as a RUF Porsche.

4 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Wow, bud!!, you do a FANTASTIC job with leather!!!!….I love following this!!!   -Do you mine if I give you my opinion on the floormats?...

Thanks Dan, alway room for improvement, but getting the seams better and better as I go

Not at all, fire away on opinion of floor mats .....those came with the kit so not my work

My 17 yr old boy came into the Nerd Lab to see what I was up to last night and says....."uuuuh dad, did you make the mats with the horse on them?? they look a little sad" :lol:

We shall see if I change them out. That is the danger of buying aftermarket stuff that you could make better yourself.

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

8 hours ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Thanks Dan, alway room for improvement, but getting the seams better and better as I go

Not at all, fire away on opinion of floor mats .....those came with the kit so not my work

My 17 yr old boy came into the Nerd Lab to see what I was up to last night and says....."uuuuh dad, did you make the mats with the horse on them?? they look a little sad" :lol:

We shall see if I change them out. That is the danger of buying aftermarket stuff that you could make better yourself.

The only thing that I think isn't doing you any justice with the floormats, is that hoacky trim around the edges. if you were able to get rid of those, and find a more realistic way, they'd look real. To me, everything else about them is great....just my opinion, bud.

32 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Wow, just catching on to this thread! VERY nice work and man this thing is a beast!

It's reminding me of my 1/8 scale Shelby that I'm very slowly chipping away at. One nice thing about these big scales..........the sky can be the limit for the amount of detail you want. ;)

Cheers Bill :D

It is really interesting working at this bigger scale...fun, as its easy to see; hard as you can see everything I F up!!!

thanks for looking B)

54 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

The only thing that I think isn't doing you any justice with the floormats, is that hoacky trim around the edges. if you were able to get rid of those, and find a more realistic way, they'd look real. To me, everything else about them is great....just my opinion, bud.

Ya it is a bit cheesy edging. Looks to be just glued on so I could cut it away. I will cross that bridge when I get there

I am probably going to do a fabric ‘carpet’ depending on how the ultra suede stuff I have looks.

Dont ever hesitate to add in your opinion or critique...it is most appreciated