Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car Craft Project Heavy Metal 65 Impala Pics??

Here's some of the parts recovered back in '03 after the car was stolen...

Image result for Car Craft Project Heavy Metal 65 Impala

The Sept. '92 CC has one article on the thing, and other back issues can be had if you really want pix.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Craft-Sept-1992-2082/361877026985?hash=item54418d38a9:g:C~YAAOSw5cNYdm7b:rk:1:pf:0

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the story and CC even reported the car stolen in 94 as one of other cars taken from their storage warehouse. a 92 Buick Century kinda rings a bell. Anyway the Impala was a tribute for the Desert Storm troops if I remember correctly... I think I have some old issues of CC somewhere...

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
16 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

Better late than never lol

This is the finished car

20200324_143240.jpg

16 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

20200324_143252.jpg

Awesome!! I can't thank you enough for posting these. I was a very avid reader of Car Craft and Hot Rod back then and it both broke my heart and pissed me off royally that someone felt the need to steal this car. I'm watching this issue on ebay right now and hope to pick it up in the next couple of weeks. Thanks again for posting these pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting you should mention the station wagon. In my youth, I drove a 65 BelAir wagon. One of my friends drove a 65 Impala coupe. He took his trunk key and started my wagon. I took my tailgate key and started his car. The other key opened the doors. We knew this in the 70's. From what I understand, it was pretty common knowledge. At least, the people who stole my wagon, took it for a joy ride and left it in a shopping center near us a few days later knew it.

13 hours ago, SSNJim said:

Interesting you should mention the station wagon. In my youth, I drove a 65 BelAir wagon. One of my friends drove a 65 Impala coupe. He took his trunk key and started my wagon. I took my tailgate key and started his car. The other key opened the doors. We knew this in the 70's. From what I understand, it was pretty common knowledge. At least, the people who stole my wagon, took it for a joy ride and left it in a shopping center near us a few days later knew it.

In the early fifties this was more common than you may realize. No way of knowing how many different keys GM used in that era but it wasn't many. I can remember hanging out with friends and Chevrolets were a common car to own,. There were times when they would go around where we were parked and open each others trunks just for fun. We were easily entertained back then. 

• 1 month later...