Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO Mack R685ST

Heres my intended build for the 2019 build off the venerable Mack R model 

20190126_152322.thumb.jpg.9a5e884cda7bc470826b519fdda442e2.jpg

Only thing I plan on changing is the grill to the newer style , and just received the gorgeous decals specifically printed for this build from Diecast and Decals . Once finished its tasked w hauling the dry bulk tanker I'm currently working on..20190126_172706.thumb.jpg.ed2fccf71220335d490a0ef3b2827a36.jpg

See ya on 1 February 2019 ! 

Jimb- I just looked ...and it has BOTH ! Neither are chromed looks more like a vocational truck this reissue . I'll use the updated rounds for this build since the company I'm building it as had late 80 early 90 Mack's. The etch grill came from Detail Master and looks fantastic. 

The engine should probably be an Eco-Dyne , which doesn't look significantly different . Looks like instead of gold it's more gray, please correct me if that's wrong

I may drop a set of Gary Wallaces SOS Drive tires on this..my kit rubber doesn't look very good. 

Edited by gotnitro?

First update for the kickoff..the frame going together. I cleaned off the ejector pins inside the frame rails for better fit..guess it helped .20190203_171303.thumb.jpg.e1dfd0642cbbc6ede2f140ed4b5ac4ae.jpg

Of course with these amt kits..fits together and good instructions are subjective..still haven't figured out the fit of the trunnion support rod.

20190203_171028.thumb.jpg.897116ea71a9c09552c8b98b6ccf71ae.jpg

Instructions show the bar fitting down in the fish mouth grooves..not happening.  Any tips ?

Jeff

16 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Of course with these amt kits..fits together and good instructions are subjective...

100% agree. I love building trucks, but these AMT kits are frustrating. There's a lot of test fitting and mockups happening before anything gets glued, that's for sure.

5 hours ago, drinkone2 said:

Cool build, brings back memories of Matlack Macks pulling all sorts of tanks on the Pa. turnpike back in the 70's. Did you scratch the entire bulk tanker or did you start with the tank body from DTMC? 

The tank is 3d printed and purchased from keystone aluminum model miniatures aka doug Wagner. The frame is 100 percent scratch

17 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

The tank is 3d printed and purchased from keystone aluminum model miniatures aka doug Wagner. The frame is 100 percent scratch

That tank is awesome, I've been wanting to scratch one for years. I saw a similar 3D printed one on the DTMC website but it would be nice to pick one up stateside. I saw Keystone is on facebook but so far I'm not. Do you know if he has a website or an email to contact him?

I broke in the booth today with some paint ! Tamiya Mica Red ..absolutely love this color . Just the right amount of metallic .The lighting makes it look orange..sorry 

20190213_173249.thumb.jpg.548e34401561cd0fb37654521abd0fad.jpg

Now the frame gets a coat of sg black..best investment purchasing this booth..its snowing outside and I can spray anytime now ! 

Thanks Tom for the advice