Model Cars Magazine Forum

Glue Bomb Projects--EMPI Imp and '65 Falcon AWB

Snake45

6 hours ago, alexis said:

Snake. Send me a PM with your addy.

I have some Georgia Shaker Decals if you still want them.

Much appreciated, but I think I'm good. B)

5 hours ago, chris chabre said:

I like the stance!! How much did you end up filing off the tub and rails

About half the thickness of the rails at the front (of the interior tub), tapering to nothing at the rear (right before the rear wheelwells. On the interior tub, you can see bright light through the plastic at the front (so, maybe 2/3 of the thickness?) again tapering to full thickness at the rear.  The filing only has to be done where the tub hits the frame rails and the crossmember. 

Edited by Snake45

6 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

i have a set of daddy warbucks decals if you need them. 

I have a NIB DW kit, so I should be good. I'm kind of doing this glue bomb as a practice/warmup for doing that one, in fact. Gotta work up my nerve to take that side trim off it. B)

Just now, Snake45 said:

I have a NIB DW kit, so I should be good. I'm kind of doing this glue bomb as a practice/warmup for doing that one, in fact. Gotta work up my nerve to take that side trim off it. B)

i'll definitely be watching because id like to remove mine. i just got back into the hobby so my confidence isn't that high yet ?

4 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

i'll definitely be watching because id like to remove mine. i just got back into the hobby so my confidence isn't that high yet ?

I'm trying to talk AFX into it, as his nice build is already SO close to Daddy Warbucks. B)

Look at the trim from the rear, looking down the side. The trim is all on the TOP half of the crease. I'd think it SHOULDN'T be TOO hard to just take that off with a purpose-build sanding block (perhaps starting the job by back-scraping with an Xacto). It should be fairly easy up to the front half of the front fender, where it starts really narrowing down, but even there it should be doable. I'm PRETTY sure I could pull it off without too much trouble. But I want to drive on and get this one on the shelf first. B)

6 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

i was wondering about the kit. it looks like it doesn't.

I'm using the Wild Child kit on my A/FX build and it does have the trim.  It's the same kit as every other issues of the AMT Falcon AWB.

Edited by afx

32 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

i was curious about that. the rear axle wasn't as far foward on wild child so i wasn't sure about it.

I think it would be easier to replicate the Wild Child starting with a stock wheel base body.

1966-26-on-trailer-jpg.1230463eev66falconthomascayuga82666dn-vi-jpg.12829751965-63-st-thomas-race-track-jpg.1448398

Milestone progress on the EMPI! The three major parts of the chassis (floor pan, spine/transaxle, front suspension) are back together again, and new axle stubs (evergreen rod) have been mounted to the "brakes." All four axle stubs had broken off, or had to be SAWED off, as they were glued solid to the wheels. I also had to drill out and re-engineer the backs of the wheels themselves to fit the new stub axles (not shown--next time!). 

The work done so far probably represents AT LEAST 50% of what will be necessary to finish this model, and possibly quite a bit more. At any rate, the hard part--all the stuff I've been dreading for over 20 years--is done. Yay me! :D

EMPIImp13.jpg.86f2bfd3f40156890330ba6479d662f7.jpg

EMPIImp15.jpg.999887df69e396bc967380191bc7b807.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the Falcon Ranch...

AFX wanted to see the resin Southern Motorsports Hobby hood and the Model Car World hood. Here they are, SMH on the left, MCW on the right. The teardrops are roughly the same size, and both hoods seem to fit the body with little problem. The SMH hood is smoother, thinner, and more cleanly cast (note that the openings at the rear have only a very thin layer of flash; the MCW hood will probably have to be drilled out). I plan to use the MCW hood on this build, as it's being made out of recycled old junk anyway, and save the better SMH hood for a later build of a new kit. NOTE: MCW does not offer this hood separately, but agreed to sell me one since I was buying three complete kits of theirs at the same time. If you need a '65 Falcon teardrop hood, just go ahead and order one from Southern Motorsports Hobby. B)

65FalconFCGB53.jpg.db8fe6dbd4a52596df82a30184b72ba3.jpg

65FalconFCGB55.jpg.302ba09ef91dc59ccc638ceb584026f0.jpg

65FalconFCGB59.jpg.3f0ce50a98688f8adc3d2fe71ca9ac28.jpg

11 hours ago, afx said:

I agree the SMH hood is nice.  Having already altered the Trumpeter hood to fit the AMT body I'm committed to using it.

I like the way that bubble (on your Trumpeter) meets the hood at a definite junction rather than an indefinite curve. But all three of them have teardrops bigger than those seen on the real '65 Falcon (or Mustangs). 

Meanwhile, chassis painted black. Interior tub painted black. Wheel spokes painted black. Time for another set-together and Preview of Coming Attractions. B)

65FalconFCGB42.jpg.3ff67f3adc30c8440d34f0a70101a28f.jpg

65FalconFCGB45.jpg.b4eaaf7fcb84b720a5fc039e39cb1ada.jpg

65FalconFCGB48.jpg.44e5765185a26af397c19b0f45e3ff37.jpg

65FalconFCGB49.jpg.b5c1a2981937895a3ececbcae6957ec8.jpg

Edited by Snake45

More milestone progress on the EMPI! 2-piece hard vinyl tires glued together and treads sanded. Wheels 90% reconditioned and detailed with semigloss black and Silver Sharpie (the outer rims will be polished and Molotowed shortly before final assembly. Chassis painted semigloss black. And, for the first time in at least three decades, the Imp is back up on its wheels! BOO-YA! B)

EMPIImp20.jpg.51c5102cc48b8c1b9013735d530c6f49.jpg

EMPIImp21.jpg.f488ac2ba0a1343d2dac3604886c58da.jpg

• 1 year later...

Trying to get the Imp finished for Round 6 of the Bring Out Your Dead build. 

Last month I painted the body with Krylon Shimmer Blue. 

EMPIBlue02.jpg.58f170c366f582dba770b94119f6099a.jpg

Before painting, I shot the rear seat area with white primer and then Testor White Lightning Pearl. After polishing the blue paint, I unmasked the seats and thought they looked too narrow. Also note the hood EMPI Imp emblem, which was done by the foil-under-paint method and masked with Elmer's Glue. 

EMPIImp103.jpg.5eda5582fdd4efcf396d8fa8e94ac7fb.jpg

So I laid a piece of white vinyl tape on sheet styrene, shot it with the White Lightning Pearl, and cut thin strips to widen the "upholstered" area as much as I could. Looks a bit better now, I think. 

EMPIImp109.jpg.cbf32d52dbcc164cbe8deb7c8afb789f.jpg

The original VW engine was glue-bombed, and missing one carb and the complete exhaust system. I elected to replace it with a Corvair from an old Blueprinter Exclusive Parts Pack set. It's molded in dark metallic gray; I dressed it up a little with Silver Sharpie and Molotow. Not great, but at least it now looks satisfactorily "busy" back there now. 

EMPIImp110.jpg.156ffe5ec35eb0795c09a2dd11a76815.jpg

EMPIImp114.jpg.f1157cfa2c6dbc3dd40e4404b258df3d.jpg