Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Chevy 3100 Truck.

QbanFam

Hello everyone. I’m new to scale modeling and this is my first diorama ever. I have been experimenting with preserved sheer moss, which I have used as grass. Please, feel free to critique and give some input. It’s still a work in progress as I’m waiting for some materials to arrive. I will repost with updates as I add more details. 

7D4BD2A6-A581-4F6B-82A9-35C636F6B509.jpeg

AADD308B-F871-42DF-8E21-4B7B7EC9E5C6.jpeg

F48ECA79-0E4F-4A93-A6F0-48BF59BE392B.jpeg

416CD480-EDF7-4D0E-B7E2-E4799481497A.jpeg

252F08BB-5C06-4C66-A0C2-E0D7D20EC525.jpeg

8FA482F8-F428-41A0-857D-D51D7E3A7787.jpeg

9CFBCEAD-D992-460D-890B-52B20DB1BB7B.jpeg

99D7B54A-99E8-41E4-A7CC-3CDAEBF1C0AD.jpeg

Edited by QbanFam

One thing I have done to help with my dioramas is to find an actual car or truck that has been abandoned and study it. If that's not  available to you look up pictures on the internet. It's the small details that help achieve a realistic look.

Edited by uncle potts

I was at first going to suggest vehicles seldom get completely paint-free rusty, but looking at this Powerwagon proves me otherwise.  As Paul suggested above, research!  I found this yard on a trip, I'm always looking for such places, annoys my passenger(s) when I come to a screeching stop and u-turn.  One thing that bugs me about creating rust, don't build up the paint, the real thing does not get really rough.  I suggest wet-sanding that, which will add a mottled look.  I also recommend adding dents, they can be small.

You made a great start on the diorama, I've seen too many that are sterile and too clean.  I would suggest looking for various sizes of small pebbles.

Most important, have fun!

DSC_0032.JPG

The vegetation and groundwork is spot on!!  The truck is very very good as well.....I agree about the chrome, it rarely will rust and if anything will only pit here and there.  The sheen on your truck is somewhat shiny, so maybe hit it with some dull coat after a little sanding using really fine sandpaper.  The colors are well done!  Overall, your 1st diorama is AWESOME!

6 hours ago, bbowser said:

Looks good so far.  Mind sharing your rusting technique?

Thank you. The rusting technique I got from a YouTube video, which I just modified my way by playing with different colors (Can’t remember which one). In this case I just dabbed on a mixture of orange and yellow ocher (mix it to have multiple color variations, ranging from yellowish to reddish). I used a makeup sponge ripped in half and used the rougher side of it. Once dried I dabbed all over with burnt umber with the other piece of the sponge (making sure you can see through the under colors). I took this photo before applying flat dull coat over it, which makes it look more realistic. Now I just gotta continue to weather with pastels and dirt pigments.

5 hours ago, uncle potts said:

One thing I have done to help with my dioramas is to find an actual car or truck that has been abandoned and study it. If that's not  available to you look up pictures on the internet. It's the small details that help achieve a realistic look.

Good day uncle. Thank you so much for the tip. You are spot on. I have spent nearly two hours saving photos of old rusted cars. LOL. I will use this as guide line from now on. 

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I was at first going to suggest vehicles seldom get completely paint-free rusty, but looking at this Powerwagon proves me otherwise.  As Paul suggested above, research!  I found this yard on a trip, I'm always looking for such places, annoys my passenger(s) when I come to a screeching stop and u-turn.  One thing that bugs me about creating rust, don't build up the paint, the real thing does not get really rough.  I suggest wet-sanding that, which will add a mottled look.  I also recommend adding dents, they can be small.

You made a great start on the diorama, I've seen too many that are sterile and too clean.  I would suggest looking for various sizes of small pebbles.

Most important, have fun!

DSC_0032.JPG

Thank you for taking the time to give me some input. I gotta say...this is definitely a hobby that requires a lot of patience and lots of research. You guys have been great. Thanks a lot, again. I will continue posting and once I move on to my second project I will post the techniques I use (mostly learned from others).

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Just a small note but in the 50s and before the chrome was very heavy and you will see old junkers with good chrome that  did not rust.

I didn’t know this. Thanks for the input and will certainly keep in mind for my next project. 

2 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

The vegetation and groundwork is spot on!!  The truck is very very good as well.....I agree about the chrome, it rarely will rust and if anything will only pit here and there.  The sheen on your truck is somewhat shiny, so maybe hit it with some dull coat after a little sanding using really fine sandpaper.  The colors are well done!  Overall, your 1st diorama is AWESOME!

Thank you so much. I did add a layer of dull coat after I uploaded the photo but I didn’t sand it. I will do that on my next project as it makes perfect sense. The ground took two layers of sifted dirt mixed with sandalwood color ground. I used light washes of acrylic to simulate drier areas and the darker to simulate wetter areas. For grass I grinded preserves moss. Sifted to fine particles. I used the fine particles for the under coat and the bigger particles to simulate the bigger grass clumps. I don’t know if it will hold the green over time, since it’s organic, but we’ll see. I’m waiting for the static grass and applicator to finish up the landscaping.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:32 PM, telescope said:

That is great , I feel like I'm standing next to the truck!

Thank you telescope. My wife asked me if there were shoes where I could participate (once I get better at modeling). I really don’t know where to look into it.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:30 AM, landman said:

If that is a first diorama I can't wait to see what is coming! I have yet to do a proper weathering. i think you have it in you. Keep on...

Thanks a lot for your kind words. If, indeed I have it in me, must have gotten it from my mother. She has always been a master in crafts. LOL.

2 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Yordan Perez........ The really close up photos with the outdoor background show just how good your diorama is. The broken wood and weathering techniques are excellent.

David

Thank you Anglia. I’m hoping to attend shows in the near future. Maybe in a year or so. Still so much to learn.

Edited by QbanFam

1 hour ago, Davoski said:

Really nice work, mate! I especially like the creeper on the fence and the leaves on the bonnet - nice touches!

Thanks a lot Davoski. I just use reference photos and use techniques from tutorials I find on the web, including this site. I’m already working in a second diorama. I’ll share the techniques used on that one once I’m ready.

Great scale realism. You are using materials that look exactly correct in relation to the truck and building. The building itself is looking especially good with great weathering on the boards including some broken pieces and paint that looks like it's been out-of-doors for decades. Thanks for sharing your talent and attention to detail with us.