Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 69 Mustang question

14 minutes ago, br67 said:

I was wondering what ever happened to the mold for this kit and whether some of its parts live on in something that was recently available?

I assume the tooling was modified to make the '70 Mach 1, which was then made into a funny car.  I don't know if AMT's '71-73 kits shared any tooling w/ these. 

16 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I assume the tooling was modified to make the '70 Mach 1, which was then made into a funny car.  I don't know if AMT's '71-73 kits shared any tooling w/ these. 

I think that was the case for the MPC kits - the chassis was carried over from 69/70 to 71/73 but I believe this picture is of an AMT chassis which look like it has roots from the 65-68 kits.  I could be wrong - this chassis was a glue bomb.

IMG_3764.JPG

5 hours ago, br67 said:

From what I recall it shares nothing with this kit?

IMG_5582.JPG

This kit is a re-re-re-issue of the original mpc kit shown in Rex's post and is available with many different forms of box art under the amt banner.  Maybe there's some info here that might help sorting these out...

According to some that know a great deal more than I, the original amt '69 body was retooled into the long nose funny car; never to be reissued.  The '70 was a separate tool with a new chassis, issued in both stock and funny car themed kits but never released again.

mike

Edited by mk11

The AMT '69 annual kit body was apparently reworked into the longnose funny car.  The longnose body does use the '69 kit plated parts.  The '69 chassis was unique to that kit, not carried over from '68.  The AMT '67-'68 annual was converted to the Shelby GT500 which still exists.

The AMT '70 was all new.  The body got used in another funny car, the '70 chassis was reworked and reused in the AMT '71-'73 kits.  The AMT '73 still exists as the Warren Tope Trans-Am racing version.

The recent AMT '69 Mustang is based on the undersize MPC kit.  The chassis started out under the MPC '66 fastback, and is used in the MPC '73 kit also.

• 1 year later...

Some time ago I bought a gluebomb of an original AMT body that I primered and put away and forgot about as I put it in another lit box.  I have reunited it with the box I bought separately and it appears I have all the parts to actually build a stock Mach1 or GT without paying a small fortune for an original kit.

456CD3F8-CB15-4BBF-9ED6-E9D0A2403E0A.jpeg

871A6D7E-E8B3-4B5A-A2FC-58281E36B804.jpeg