Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ultimate Adventure 2019 Vannonball 1972 G30 4X4 Campervan

Ok, yes I know that is a long title, but there is a lot going into this build. I am starting with the AMT Rescue Van. I want to build the off road adventure van that I have in my head. So, that is the inspiration for this. 

The transfer case and axles are resin from B-n-L resins and the wheels and tires are from Scenes Unlimited. The front springs are custom made and the rears are from the kit, but I added some leaves to add lift. 

This required a bunch of cutting and custom scratch building to get it all on and sitting right. 

IMG_0372.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

Next came the body mods. I want this to have a high roof. I am also building a Italeri MAN with a "Space Roof" top. I did not like it and removed it and made a new roof, but it seemed like it had good bones to make a high roof for this. So, I cut it, narrowed it, the lengthened it and put it all back together with lots of sheet styrene and the original roof section cut out of the van. 

IMG_0361 2.jpeg

IMG_0375.jpeg

IMG_0380.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

Up next are the body mods. I want the rear and side doors to be open, so I cut them out. I also added back in the body line that is missing right below the drip rail and added the drip rail. I cut out for the side window and added "Doors" and panels to simulate the stuff on a regular camper van like the water heater, heater, city water inlet, etc. 

IMG_0388.jpeg

IMG_0389.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

IMG_0393.jpeg

IMG_0390.jpeg

As you can see in some of the previous pictures, I did some work to the interior. I wanted to have interior panels to replicate what the real van would have had on the inside, so I added rib to the walls and sheeted the inside with .020. I then made some front door panels because the kit came with nothing. 

IMG_0391.jpeg

IMG_0387.jpeg

On to the camper interior build. I made some patterns and built up a camper interior in the style of the VW camper vans of the same vintage. All the cabinets are rounded, the one with square edges is the refrigerator. The passenger side has the sink, stove, fridge, and storage. The left side has the toilet/shower and the bed/couch and table. The table has a printed map of the world on it with a foil edge, the leg is not shown yet. I still need to make some cushions for the bed/couch. 

IMG_0396.jpeg

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0401.jpeg

IMG_0402.jpeg

IMG_0403.jpeg

IMG_0400.jpeg

So, this is the current look of the van. I have the top and body in primer. Interior is about 80% complete. Front seats are TBD as well as the floor covering. Looking for a vinyl or wood pattern to print and put down. 

As for the paint, it will be a very 70's brown to match the era of the van. I have a trick up my sleeve for the door hinges, but waiting to see if it works out the way I want it to before I paint it. 

Oh, and one more mod, I took the sliding side door and converted it to 2 swing open doors. Better for a camper. 

IMG_0376.jpeg

IMG_0377.jpeg

IMG_0382.jpeg

IMG_0404.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

We have color! I hope the color combo screams 1975, that is what I was after. As you can see there are a few flaws in the paint I need to sand out before a clear coat. But, it is moving along. In the background you can see my major B.R.B.O. project and why this is taking so long. I have much to do, but I should be on track to have this finished by the end of the year.

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

• 3 months later...

Progress is still moving along on this project, but it is slow. It seems I can get a few minutes here and there. So, I have the grill put together and the bumper installed. The propane tank is on, the doors are on and hinged. I have added a few details, like the door locks and chrome on the door handles. The kit wipers were trash, so I made some new ones. Not thrilled with them, but they will have to do as the other option is way worse. I still want to add a hook for the winch, just need to find or make one I like. 

I still have a few things left to do: Make a front drive shaft, glue the interior in, make a seat pad for the bench seat, maybe add some details to the doors, install the front side glass and a few other things.

I should have it done by the end of the year. 

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg