Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '63 Corvette Sting Ray Coupe SnapTite

Casey

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Bob, great looking builds. Did  you have to trim the VRM hood grilles just a tad?  Its like they were scaled for 1/24 instead of 1/25.

Thanks! I don't remember having to trim them; the VRM decals are superb, perhaps the best decals I've ever used. The white one actually has the kit stickers for the hood grills which actually work quite well.

I have a question, I bought one of these at a yardsale once, and when I opened it, the body was autographed by kids from some school, maybe instead of a yearbook the parents bought there kid a model to do the same thing, but they used a silver paint marker, so do I sand it off or maybe try to find someone on the car, and send it to them. what would u do.

3 hours ago, gray07 said:

I have a question, I bought one of these at a yardsale once, and when I opened it, the body was autographed by kids from some school, maybe instead of a yearbook the parents bought there kid a model to do the same thing, but they used a silver paint marker, so do I sand it off or maybe try to find someone on the car, and send it to them. what would u do.

If it's Silver Sharpie, it will come right off with rubbing alcohol. Take it off and do what you want to with the thing. 

• 1 year later...

I just picked up the red version of this snap tite  kit; and at first glance I was quite impressed and pleased with it. The first thing I did was compare it to the Revell '67 Corvette coupe body. They actually appeared to be from the same general tooling. However, I finally figured out what it was that my eyes were telling me was different (besides the obvious yearly changes like the rear window, front fender 'coves', emblems, etc.).............the darn thing is LONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come'oooooonnnnnnnnnnn!!!!! It looks like the majority of the increased length is in the front wheel well, but it's also a little bit longer in the doors and behind the rear wheel wells. Here I was thinking it would be a direct swap for the '67 chassis and even the hood if I wanted to build a Day 2 car. I haven't studied the bodies any more than this quick once-over; but I'm hoping I can determine how to correct the '63 coupe body now.

DSC02201.JPG

DSC02202.JPG

DSC02203.JPG

DSC02204.JPG

DSC02205.JPG

DSC02208.JPG

Interesting! :blink:

How do you know that the '67 body isn't too short? I know the '67 roadster kit has some real shape problems that they seemed to fix with the coupe body. 

I've never compared the '63 snappers with the '67s. Had no idea there was this difference, as both look good to my eye. I'm not sure this length difference would be apparent to the naked eye even if the two built models were sitting side by side on the shelf. Certainly not as much as either of them sitting next to the Monogram 1/24 '65. 

In other words, personally, I don't think I'll worry about correcting either one of them. (But I'll never build the '67 roadster again. I've accumulated several rebuildable AMT '67 roadsters, but if I wanted another Revell '67 roadster ever so bad, I'd create it by kitbashing the rear deck onto the '67 coupe body....)

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Interesting! :blink:

How do you know that the '67 body isn't too short? I know the '67 roadster kit has some real shape problems that they seemed to fix with the coupe body. 

I've never compared the '63 snappers with the '67s. Had no idea there was this difference, as both look good to my eye. I'm not sure this length difference would be apparent to the naked eye even if the two built models were sitting side by side on the shelf. Certainly not as much as either of them sitting next to the Monogram 1/24 '65. 

In other words, personally, I don't think I'll worry about correcting either one of them. (But I'll never build the '67 roadster again. I've accumulated several rebuildable AMT '67 roadsters, but if I wanted another Revell '67 roadster ever so bad, I'd create it by kitbashing the rear deck onto the '67 coupe body....)

I agree, the Revell '67 roadster is horrible! The body has a wedge shape to it......getting noticeably more narrow front to back! The back end isn't even as wide as the '67 coupe. I still have plans on converting a '67 coupe into a roadster; but keeping the overall dimensions of the coupe by splicing in the rear deck between the quarter panels. The bulges on the fenders and top of the quarter panels looks odd on the '67 roadster too.........as if a caricature of a Corvette! LOL! I have compared the AMT bodies to the Revell '67 coupe; and if my memory isn't failing me, they're pretty close in overall dimensions. The front fenders just look too long on this '63 snap tite Vette (coupe). When looking at pics on-line of the snap tite '63 roadster I immediately saw the similarities to the Revell '67 roadster..........(goofy shaped bulges on the fenders and quarter panels)......which stands to reason if this '63 coupe and the '67 coupe are similar in tooling.........other than overall length. One thing I noticed after posting these photos above is that the roof on the '63 snap tite coupe is a bit longer; or at least overhangs in the front more to make it appear longer. I think with a little splicing the '63 snap tite coupe can be brought into spec a bit more. And yes, I am real sure that the '63 is too long.......and not a case of the '67 being too short.

2-1583171510609@2x.jpg

DSC_0442.JPG

63-corvette-revell-064-1024x437.jpg

• Like 1

On another note, I plan on building the Prestige '63 roadsters without messing with it; other than possibly converting one to a 'Day 2' '65 or '66. I've looked at them for enough years that it looks fine (or 'cool') as it is. If there's something off with it I don't care! LOL! The only thing I might look into is utilizing the chrome windshield frame from the Revell '67 roadster; which is also on the parts tree of all of the '67 coupe kits I think............so I should have half a dozen spares to play with for my other roadster kits. I think the height might be a factor; but I haven't measured it yet. My luck it will be the width! LOL!

DSC06762.JPG

DSC06766.JPG

DSC06779.JPG

DSC06761.JPG

10 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

I agree, the Revell '67 roadster is horrible! The body has a wedge shape to it......getting noticeably more narrow front to back! The back end isn't even as wide as the '67 coupe. I still have plans on converting a '67 coupe into a roadster; but keeping the overall dimensions of the coupe by splicing in the rear deck between the quarter panels. The bulges on the fenders and top of the quarter panels looks odd on the '67 roadster too.........as if a caricature of a Corvette! LOL! I have compared the AMT bodies to the Revell '67 coupe; and if my memory isn't failing me, they're pretty close in overall dimensions. The front fenders just look too long on this '63 snap tite Vette (coupe). When looking at pics on-line of the snap tite '63 roadster I immediately saw the similarities to the Revell '67 roadster..........(goofy shaped bulges on the fenders and quarter panels)..

You're right about the Rev '67 roadster having a wedge shape. I think the real car might have this, and the AMT, MPC, and Monogram bodies have it too, but it's much more pronounced on the Rev '67 Roadster to the point that it's apparent to the naked eye. The front fender bulges on the '67 R aren't right and as you say, makes the model look like a caricature. But they're good on the '67 C and the two '63 snappers. 

I don't agree with you that the '63 roadster snapper shares this. The front fenders on it look exactly the same as on the coupe to me, and look right. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the quarter panels, they look good to me. 

Rev63VetteSnapsCD01.jpg.f7dfd5da7a97f81ad31750fb79a50b00.jpg

Rev63VetteSnapsCD07.jpg.28078a983952d98644793d1b34e32e73.jpg

The AMT and MPC bodies are very similar, and look good, but they're actually a little "sharper" than they should be.  But we assume they're right because that's pretty much all we had to work with for 30 or 40 years, and they're what we're used to looking at.  

The Revell '63 snappers and their '67 coupe have the most accurate C2 kit bodies ever, IMHO. 

I will concede to your view point on the '63 snapper roadster body. I thought the bulges on the fenders looked like they might be the same as the Revell '67 roadster body based solely on  photos I found on-line; but have not had the '63 roadster snapper in my hands to compare.......having sold the one I had many years ago.  I do agree whole heartedly with your last two comments! LOL!

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Then it wouldn't be accurate. There were changes from 63 to 67.

Whosurdaddy is converting a '63 snapper roadster into a '67. 

You're right that there are noticeable changes between a '63 interior and a '67. I can't think of any reason why the snapper '63 interior couldn't be adapted or altered to work with the '67 chassis, though. :unsure:

On 8/17/2020 at 11:55 PM, krassandbernie said:

The only thing I might look into is utilizing the chrome windshield frame from the Revell '67 roadster; which is also on the parts tree of all of the '67 coupe kits I think............so I should have half a dozen spares to play with for my other roadster kits. I think the height might be a factor; but I haven't measured it yet. My luck it will be the width! LOL!

I looked into this a couple years back, as I have a glue bomb AMT '65 roadster body with the windshield frame missing completely. I was very disappointed to discover that it would NOT be a direct "bolt-on." Maybe either the body or the frame or both could be altered to get them together, I dunno, but I do distinctly remember thinking, "Well, shoot, THAT's not gonna work." :unsure:

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Whosurdaddy is converting a '63 snapper roadster into a '67. 

You're right that there are noticeable changes between a '63 interior and a '67. I can't think of any reason why the snapper '63 interior couldn't be adapted or altered to work with the '67 chassis, though. :unsure:

I was actually thinking of the old amt kit. Does the snapper 63 have a bucket interior or one built from the floorpan?

13 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

I was actually thinking of the old amt kit. Does the snapper 63 have a bucket interior or one built from the floorpan?

It's a bucket, with separate seats. 

But here's a twist: the roadster and coupe interiors are NOT identical. I was building both at the same time and painting the interiors the same way. Came time to install them and I just picked the nicer of the two and put it in the roadster. And then found I couldn't put the other interior in the coupe! It turns out there's some slight difference in the mountings, I don't remember what the problem was, but I eventually made it work. :lol:

On 1/28/2019 at 9:53 PM, mikemodeler said:

Lee,

An old co-worker of mine who has built some pretty cool cars over the years built this 63 Corvette split window with a big block. 

/home/michael/Downloads/10603431_880562868639890_5874987499704933316_n.jpg

10603431_880562868639890_5874987499704933316_n.jpg

10603431_880562868639890_5874987499704933316_n.jpg

And this was my attempt at recreating that car in scale using the kit decals. Not my best work but it works for a shelf model....

IMG_0925.jpg

A1DC962C-7962-4BEE-847E-A29E66F58617.jpeg.53cfa10a0765d220d364f4dee81ea40f.jpeg

This one was built from the first issue with the purple body. Our club did a group build and I enjoyed just playing with ideas on the body and paint detailing the interior.

B24A824E-D563-4B2C-925D-96251079A832.jpeg

CC15BBB1-CE43-4A58-B525-748DF9410631.jpeg

19BEE2CC-E283-4E62-8830-9B1C3BB249C7.jpeg

8541F29F-38CF-43DF-BDE0-970A1D12A5C5.jpeg

And if anyone acts up, I’ll pull out the Rusty Corvette! 😅

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

A1DC962C-7962-4BEE-847E-A29E66F58617.jpeg.53cfa10a0765d220d364f4dee81ea40f.jpeg

This one was built from the first issue with the purple body. Our club did a group build and I enjoyed just playing with ideas on the body and paint detailing the interior.

B24A824E-D563-4B2C-925D-96251079A832.jpeg

CC15BBB1-CE43-4A58-B525-748DF9410631.jpeg

19BEE2CC-E283-4E62-8830-9B1C3BB249C7.jpeg

8541F29F-38CF-43DF-BDE0-970A1D12A5C5.jpeg

And if anyone acts up, I’ll pull out the Rusty Corvette! 😅

For a second I thought that was a survivor, Tom. Cool build! We'll call this one a "Faux-vivor".

• Like 1