Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor Instant Chrome

Duplicolor Instant Chrome has long been my go-to method for exhaust pipes and fenders on large motorcycle models. It's not bright chrome but I've always been happy with the contrast with other silver paints. Now it appears that Instant Chrome has been discontinued. I tried their "Universal Chrome" and it is a dark silver, not even as bright as Testors silver. It's pretty but it is no good for brightwork.

I see that Duplicolor has a new  METALLIC Chrome. Has anyone tried this color?

I wouldn't waste your money.  Been disappointed with every "chrome in a can" paint that I have tried.  Especially the Duplicolor products.  

There was a Krylon Premium Original Chrome my wife bought from Michael's a few years back that worked OK, but it gave the appearance of polished aluminium at best.

• 1 month later...

I had an old can dated 2011. When sprayed it had metallic flakes in the paint and produced a pretty good chrome look.  Used it all and bought a new can today, what a disappointment, more grey than chrome. Also had a different odor.

Thanks EPA.

I’ve used this for years. It’s a bit expensive, a bit more than Tamiya primer, but it lasts me a while. Just paint the surface with gloss black before “lightly” applying the chrome. It’s about the best chrome in a can I’ve used.

61BE01F5-F0FB-4A92-84BE-E534EE992B3F.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform