Model Cars Magazine Forum

eBay: contest for record highest asking price

If you notice these are slot car kits (except the first Porsche) and if they're MIB the price, while high is not shocking. Prices for 60's era slot cars, depending on the car and of course condition can reach four figures.

Screenshot_20190129-115112_1.png

Edited by Phirewriter

17 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Because there's just no shortage of stupid...a sad reality in evidence everywhere, more so every day.

No kidding.

10 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

If you notice these are slot car kits (except the first Porsche) and if they're MIB the price, while high is not shocking. Prices for 60's era slot cars, depending on the car and of course condition can reach four figures.

I was never into slot cars, so this is news to me.

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Maybe this is a real one and the only picture he could find was a model kit. :rolleyes:

This insanity should end in a decade as the potential buyers will shall we say not be around much longer.  The current Revell, Carerra, etc. slot cars are far superior and a whole heck of a lot cheaper.  I understand paying for nostalgia but these prices for slot cars, hard to find models and promos are crazy.  :o

Nostalgia will always have a price depending on the generation. My friends son collects action figures (Star Wars, Transformers, etc...) and vintage video games and systems. Although not models, the insanity is persistent in many areas of interest. 

I'm not shocked by some of the money people pay for these items since I've obviously seen it paid by people with my (our) interests.

Want to see some crazy prices for older toys? Check out older or oop Legos (complete sets or MIB)  there's some insane prices in that hobby

Edited by Phirewriter

Why is it that once a week or so, someone has to get faux offended about the price of something on eBay? That's the real question here.  Did you guys take Polaroids of overpriced stuff at garage sales/flea markets back in the day and then gather your family around to tell them how appalled you were?  What a hoot that must have been.

You're not paying that price, and unless we're talking some serious vintage MIB toy/slot car or whatever neither is anyone else. 

That's true, I've never been upset by prices. If something is above my pay grade so be it. Not much difference than complaining about the price of a Ferrari when all you can afford or are willing to spend is the price of a standard production car. 

Now asking ridiculous money for something common is another thing and no one is forcing you to pay for someone else's ignorance.

Edited by Phirewriter

Yeah, they're expensive.  But you only have to sell one.....

Just speculation but I'd bet some of those are mis-typing upon entry.  Also what is it called when a bunch of people look at the same thing without buying it and the system interprets it as desire-thereby jacking up the price each time its looked at.  Dynamic pricing isn't it but close.  You see that alot in searching used books.

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Why is it that once a week or so, someone has to get faux offended about the price of something on eBay? That's the real question here.  Did you guys take Polaroids of overpriced stuff at garage sales/flea markets back in the day and then gather your family around to tell them how appalled you were?  What a hoot that must have been.

You're not paying that price, and unless we're talking some serious vintage MIB toy/slot car or whatever neither is anyone else. 

If I was at a garage sale, and someone was asking the price of a full sized Chevy van for a model, I'm pretty sure it would come up in conversion later on.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

These prices seem pretty intelligently reasonable when you consider a Beanie Baby was on eBay for $500,000 a few years back. Yup, half a million bucks.

princess-the-bear

Ha!

I have boxes of these stupid things laying around!

We bought them for my daughter when she was a kid and she wound up with probably 100 of them.

But then again, so does half of the population!

I'm pretty certain that I have one of the ones pictured above somewhere in the mix. :rolleyes:

At least I know that it's a purple bear.

Steve

My dog loves to rip the stuffing out of those, wonder if he's played with a half a million chew toy ?

My mother had tons of those and lost the majority of them in a house fire. The remaining ones we washed and give to the dog whenever needs to "kill" something.

Edited by Phirewriter

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Where did you get the idea that I'm offended?  I'm not a Millennial Snowflake suffering from toxic masculinity, I just find this amusing.