Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gauging interest - 50 Years of Mach 1 CBP

Hotrod 97

This is where I'm at:

added Magnum 500s from a Maisto 1970 Boss Mustang along with the kit (Testors) white lettered T/A radials. The side mirrors were missing from my kit so, I lifted some from an MPC kit that I have. I'm also raiding my NASCAR Thunderbird kits again for 351 engine parts'....this the 3rd one of these TESTORS's kits that I'm putting together so I'll have to start searching for more of them soon.

As far as the interior, the seats and door panels will be white, ran into a problem with the spray can I was using so I'll have to strip and repaint 'em.

DSC00456-vi.jpg

DSC00457-vi.jpg

DSC00460-vi.jpg

On 7/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, madhorseman said:

Happy 4th to you all,

I'm not the quickest of builders,  so this is what I'm entering in this project.

redmach-vi.jpg

The paint on the Testors metal diecast kit  is pretty nice.  But since I'm anal about the 71-73's I could not get past the 73 bumper with the 72 stripes so one of mine will be a 73 Mach1 with the 73 grille.  I also filled in the incorrect hood vents.  Are you going with the Boss 429 or doing an engine swap?

IMG_4952.JPG

24 minutes ago, madhorseman said:

This is where I'm at:

added Magnum 500s from a Maisto 1970 Boss Mustang along with the kit (Testors) white lettered T/A radials. The side mirrors were missing from my kit so, I lifted some from an MPC kit that I have. I'm also raiding my NASCAR Thunderbird kits again for 351 engine parts'....this the 3rd one of these TESTORS's kits that I'm putting together so I'll have to start searching for more of them soon.

As far as the interior, the seats and door panels will be white, ran into a problem with the spray can I was using so I'll have to strip and repaint 'em.

DSC00456-vi.jpg

DSC00457-vi.jpg

DSC00460-vi.jpg

Good choice on the engine transplant.  A little more work but the end result will be more believeable.   Now that I see the rear spoiler holes I'm going to fill mine in.  They are too far forward and the spoiler sits too high.  Back to the putty and primer.

51 minutes ago, madhorseman said:

This is where I'm at:

DSC00456-vi.jpg

DSC00457-vi.jpg

DSC00460-vi.jpg

Looks good so far, Roy! That’ll look nice with the white interior!

On 7/13/2019 at 1:11 PM, vamach1 said:

Good choice on the engine transplant.  A little more work but the end result will be more believeable.   Now that I see the rear spoiler holes I'm going to fill mine in.  They are too far forward and the spoiler sits too high.  Back to the putty and primer.

Hi Rex,

I know what You mean about the rear spoiler sitting too high.....but I did not notice that the holes are so far forward. Originally I had planned to strip and repaint Grabber Blue, that would have been a good opportunity to then fill those  holes. Maybe in the future

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Been stalled on the Mustang II Mach1 but I did almost finish a few others (non Mach1's so at least I go somet Mustangs done.  I guess we have about a week left so there is still time to get the II done.  The green 70 needs the underside painted and the 73 needs an engine and exhaust system.

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

IMG_5567.JPG

Some excellent progress is being made!

On 9/4/2019 at 11:03 PM, madhorseman said:

I've got my engine put together....need to get some pics.

Also, tried soaking interior in Purple Power and no luck. I'm not really wanting to use brake fluid, but may be only choice.

Engine pic:

DSC00496q-vi.jpg

Engine looks great, Roy! If the brake fluid doesn’t work, maybe try 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. I’m not 100% sure if it’ll work, but that is the only other thing I can think of to suggest.

On 9/7/2019 at 6:23 PM, vamach1 said:

Been stalled on the Mustang II Mach1 but I did almost finish a few others (non Mach1's so at least I go somet Mustangs done.  I guess we have about a week left so there is still time to get the II done.  The green 70 needs the underside painted and the 73 needs an engine and exhaust system.

Those Mustangs are looking great, Rex! The build window is supposed to end on September 23rd, but I can extend it a few days if anyone needs some more time.

I almost have the interior buttoned up on my ‘69 428CJ. I’ll have some progress pics up in a little while.

Here's what I got so far. The dash needs decals yet, and the interior is only half detailed (the other door panel isn't detailed yet). I coated the seats with Pledge Revive It to give them more of a "leather" look. I had the engine painted but wasn't quite satisfied with how it turned out, so I stripped the paint off and re-primed it. I plan to get the body and the rest of the engine parts in primer tomorrow.

20190910_013423.thumb.jpg.af6b9432d6b860b8d6148b4fc8b3e9f8.jpg20190910_013348.thumb.jpg.a5a695a404e00a18978c1ddc80153565.jpg20190910_013434.thumb.jpg.19141cd1ed8acbce2c3dbaff808f7131.jpg20190910_013454.thumb.jpg.fc2427347d137737c96ba866796800cc.jpg

7 hours ago, Hotrod 97 said:

I'm officially going to extend this CBP build window to December 31, 2019. That way no one has to rush to get the builds done in time.

Thtat's good.  I'm still plugging away on the "II" but am waiting for a few more parts to arrive to build it factory stock.  Since this is extended I also should knock out some others since I still have a bunch of bodies already painted.

IMG_5646.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

Edited by vamach1

On 9/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Hotrod 97 said:

I'm officially going to extend this CBP build window to December 31, 2019. That way no one has to rush to get the builds done in time.

Thanks Tyler, that will be a big help.

I'm also liking what you've done on your Mach as well. interior looks great.

Edited by madhorseman

On 9/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, vamach1 said:

Thtat's good.  I'm still plugging away on the "II" but am waiting for a few more parts to arrive to build it factory stock.  Since this is extended I also should knock out some others since I still have a bunch of bodies already painted.

IMG_5646.JPG

IMG_5647.JPG

Rex,

I like the chrome on your II!!

I'm 98% done with this one.  I'll add some side mirrors that did not come with the kit and the upper radiator hose.  I had to use sheet plastic for the side windows.  A big thanks to modlbldr on the forum for sending a lot of stock parts for the build.  The kit was a race car so I need wheels, exhaust and an engine.  I'm not sure when I acquired the kit but one side was cracked and had to be repaired.  The Mach1 decals are from a 71/72 Keith Marks decal sheet.  The tires are much wider than the kits and the 13 inch ones that would have come on the real thing but they were the only ones that were smaller yet wide enough to fit the wide  rims.  If the kit was perfect I'd worry about the glass imperfections and other issues but my goal was to build something besides a 69-73 Mach1.  Many people probably forgot Ford even made a Mach1 when the II's came out - the Cobra II got a lot more attention.  I do have another Mustang II kit so that will be the next build - Farrah's ride.

IMG_5689.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

IMG_5694.JPG

IMG_5695.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

About 75% done but here's 007's ride in Diamonds are Forever as of today.  Still need an engine, exhaust, Mach1 decals (no stripes or blacked out hood) and I'll need to adjust the wheelbase a little as I used those darn thick metal axles.  This was a glue bomb rescue AMT kit.  Last picture shows fron wheels moved forward.  I may switch up the wheels, these are the ones from the MPC kit and they are pretty deep.  Just noticed the interior is red and not black.  No worries, I have plenty of spare ones.  Guess this is going to take longer than I thought.

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5702.PNG

Edited by vamach1
Fix

On 9/24/2019 at 4:20 PM, vamach1 said:

I'm 98% done with this one.  I'll add some side mirrors that did not come with the kit and the upper radiator hose.  I had to use sheet plastic for the side windows.  A big thanks to modlbldr on the forum for sending a lot of stock parts for the build.  The kit was a race car so I need wheels, exhaust and an engine.  I'm not sure when I acquired the kit but one side was cracked and had to be repaired.  The Mach1 decals are from a 71/72 Keith Marks decal sheet.  The tires are much wider than the kits and the 13 inch ones that would have come on the real thing but they were the only ones that were smaller yet wide enough to fit the wide  rims.  If the kit was perfect I'd worry about the glass imperfections and other issues but my goal was to build something besides a 69-73 Mach1.  Many people probably forgot Ford even made a Mach1 when the II's came out - the Cobra II got a lot more attention.  I do have another Mustang II kit so that will be the next build - Farrah's ride.

IMG_5689.JPG

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5691.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

IMG_5694.JPG

IMG_5695.JPG

IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

13 hours ago, vamach1 said:

About 75% done but here's 007's ride in Diamonds are Forever as of today.  Still need an engine, exhaust, Mach1 decals (no stripes or blacked out hood) and I'll need to adjust the wheelbase a little as I used those darn thick metal axles.  This was a glue bomb rescue AMT kit.  Last picture shows fron wheels moved forward.  I may switch up the wheels, these are the ones from the MPC kit and they are pretty deep.  Just noticed the interior is red and not black.  No worries, I have plenty of spare ones.  Guess this is going to take longer than I thought.

IMG_5706.JPG

IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5702.PNG

Looking really good on both Machs Rex!!

On 9/28/2019 at 11:12 AM, vamach1 said:

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5702.PNG

Looking great so far, Rex! I was hoping someone would build the 007 Mach 1. Can’t wait to see it finished!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's where I'm at so far. I decided to completely redo the interior (this time using decals for the woodgrain instead of painting it), so I stripped the paint off and got it back in primer. The engine is complete and sitting in the chassis. I'll be able to start applying decals to the hood and body once the gloss black paint on the hood cures.

It's slowly but surely getting closer to being finished. I hope to have it done by Thanksgiving, which is the 28th of this month.

20191108_225328.jpg

20191108_225507.jpg

20191108_225350.jpg

20191108_230842.jpg

20191108_225649.jpg