Model Cars Magazine Forum

Everyone Bring In Their Brass Monkeys???

OldTrucker

One of my foursome was a shelter surrender when she and three others were left out in freezing temperatures with no shelter and frozen water bowls.  Five years later, when the temps get below freezing, she still remembers that time and never leaves my side.  

IMG_0304.JPG

I poked my head out the second story bathroom window at home about 10:45am for no more than a couple seconds and felt my beard start to freeze over. We're not working today and my Sister and her husband are also off work. According to Accuweather, we are currently at -22°f ambient and -55°f with the wind chill factored it:blink:

Edited by Joe Handley

17 hours ago, cobraman said:

You folks keep warm !

Yup you've got the right idea living in AZ.My brother and his wife just moved to Orlando,and they love it a whole lot better than miserable Long Island.Very clean and in the low 70s..I actually hate LI NY.Its either freezing here,like it is now,or too hot and HUMID as hell.I Might consider moving to AZ,(dry heat,right?)?.I really want to see the desert for the first time.Take my Jeep and just head on out there..I've seen the ocean,ah,its no big deal.You see one ocean,you've seen them all.Now I want to see the opposite..The second pic blows me away.Funny,I guess it's possible to snow anywhere:P..Oh and also,don't ever leave any of your pets out in the cold.Tom said it perfect.Too cold for you to be outside,then it's too cold for them.

IMG_6958.JPG

IMG_6959.JPG

IMG_6960.JPG

Edited by NYLIBUD

3 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I poked my head out the second story bathroom window at home about 10:45am for no more than a couple seconds and felt my beard start to freeze over. We're not working today and my Sister and her husband are also off work. According to Accuweather, we are currently at -22°f ambient and -55°f with the wind chill factored it:blink:

BRRrrr!

The best part Joe, was hearing those popping, booming noises my house was making! Also a phenomenon called an Ice Quake!!

https://foxillinois.com/news/local/ice-quakes-across-illinois

Edited by madhorseman

1 hour ago, madhorseman said:

BRRrrr!

The best part Joe, was hearing those popping, booming noise my house was making! Also a phenomenon called an Ice Quake!!

That's what that was?!  That was kinda freaking me out in the middle of the night when this house was doing that!  I don't remember it happening in 2014 and it's been so long since it got this cold back in the 80's that I don't remember that noise at that time either!

Edited by Joe Handley

23 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

That's what that was?!  That was kinda freaking me out in the middle of the night when this house was doing that!  I don't remember it happening in 2014 and it's been so long since it got this cold back in the 80's that I don't remember that noise at that time either!

Yeah! The guy on Fox News Chicago was explaining it during his segment this morning. Funny, but I don;t remember ever hearing those things before either. I didn't sleep very well....I kept expecting the house to come crashing down!! :blink:

1 hour ago, madhorseman said:

Yeah! The guy on Fox News Chicago was explaining it during his segment this morning. Funny, but I don;t remember ever hearing those things before either. I didn't sleep very well....I kept expecting the house to come crashing down!! :blink:

Same here, believe it or not, my Sister and her Husband slept through all that!I don't know how, since it seems like most of it came from the south end of the house where their room is, but that was spooky to hear!

19 hours ago, Khils said:

Headed for -26 ambient temp.....with 20-30 mph winds here tonight....don't care what that calculates to in windchill!

I know I can't do anything about it

Please be SAFE all!

Been there, done that.

You're getting what we had yesterday.

By the way, that translates to in the ballpark of around a 55 to 60 below zero windchill. :blink:

Steve

3 hours ago, madhorseman said:

BRRrrr!

The best part Joe, was hearing those popping, booming noises my house was making! Also a phenomenon called an Ice Quake!!

Generally, the loud snapping or popping noises are in your house itself, not in the soil around it.

I've never heard of these "ice quakes" but I've heard a lot of noise coming from the tortured lumber in my homes many times over the years.

The lumber in your exterior walls and roof joists absorbs quite a bit of moisture during warmer, wetter weather.

When it gets this cold, that moisture freezes and makes the lumber twist and contort, causing loud popping and cracking sounds.

It's generally not enough movement to cause any damage, but I have seen instances where a drywall joint will basically explode cracking it wide open.

Steve

I just saw something about a newscaster in Minnesota had to wear eye protection to keep her corneas from freezing, the USPS  suspended services in 11 states, employees in a refrigerated warehouse had to go into the coolers to warm up in the balmy 32 degree conditions, and most shocking, they've stopped delivering beer for the day in Wisconsin to keep it from freezing in transit!

4 hours ago, madhorseman said:

BRRrrr!

If you think it is bad in a house try a mobile home! Thought the bedroom wall was falling off last night and the kitchen early this morning!

Then when the sun came out the siding tries to expand sound like someone rapping on the walls!

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Generally, the loud snapping or popping noises are in your house itself, not in the soil around it.

I've never heard of these "ice quakes" but I've heard a lot of noise coming from the tortured lumber in my homes many times over the years.

The lumber in your exterior walls and roof joists absorbs quite a bit of moisture during warmer, wetter weather.

When it gets this cold, that moisture freezes and makes the lumber twist and contort, causing loud popping and cracking sounds.

It's generally not enough movement to cause any damage, but I have seen instances where a drywall joint will basically explode cracking it wide open.

Steve

Google "frost quakes". They are real and very spooky. Had them in southern Ontario the last couple of years. Around here they always seem to happen in the middle of the night. I woke up to one big one a couple of years ago because stuff on shelves in the house was rattling. I got up to wander around the house just to check things over and when I went into the kitchen, the light hanging from the ceiling above the kitchen table with swinging back and forth. So I know from personal experience some of them are strong enough to give the house a good shake.

I need to pick the rest of my oranges before it rains this weekend. I might have to put on long pants. :o

(Ducks behind a wall of unbuilt kits)

Seriously, I have experienced 0°F a few times up at Tahoe, but couldn't comprehend what you are going through. Please be safe!

35 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

Google "frost quakes". They are real and very spooky. Had them in southern Ontario the last couple of years. Around here they always seem to happen in the middle of the night. I woke up to one big one a couple of years ago because stuff on shelves in the house was rattling. I got up to wander around the house just to check things over and when I went into the kitchen, the light hanging from the ceiling above the kitchen table with swinging back and forth. So I know from personal experience some of them are strong enough to give the house a good shake.

I don't doubt that this phenomena is real.

I'm just stating the fact that these types noises are much more likely to be coming from your house itself than from the ground around it.

It can be pretty obvious at times when the loud crack is coming from somewhere over your head that it's originating in your attic and not from your flower bed.

A few weeks ago when our area went from a relatively warm spell to very cold in a short period of time, I laid awake one night listening to my house make all sorts of noises coming from many different areas.

These sounds ranged from small pops to cracks as loud as the sound of someone hitting the house with a baseball bat.

Steve