Model Cars Magazine Forum

Keith Marks decal (probably dumb question)

Hi guys, I was wondering something about the Keith Marks decals, are they "slide off" the decal paper type decals (like the type that would come with a standard kit) or do they needed to be trimmed, I guess what I am trying to ask is are each individual decal raised on the decal sheet like with a revell kit or is the whole decal sheet flush with all the decals and each individual piece in need of tight trimming before you use it? I was just wondering? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've used a couple of them and so far, have been extremely happy.

They are all one level, and do need to be trimmed very close as Steve said.

They are also very thin, and you need to treat them carefully...I've blown a couple of smaller decals off, probably by trying to move them once on...as Dave said,

they do tend to stick well "right now"..So be careful and re-wet them if necessary before trying to reposition them.

You wont be disappointed, just go easy and take your time.

i had some issues with them wanting to stick like "right now" and not being able to move them around. i spoke with a few other modelers about it and they didn't have the same issues, so it must be my method. they are thin and fragile though so go easy on them.

Dave

Many do it yourself decal papers are very thin and require a slightly different technique. Most kit decals I've used will let you slide the decal off onto a finger, paint brush etc then place it on the kit. With many of the aftemarket decal papers used to print your own decals the film is very thin and you really need to slide the decal directly from the paper onto the kit or it will fold, roll up, tear or some other nasty thing. Many of the aftermarket decal makers are just using this same type of blank decal paper with an ALPS or similar printer, although some of the larger ones do have their decals screen printed like those in model kits. Screen printing is nice but the places I've seen that will do it require large batches (1000+) which is a bit of an investment.

I've also found if you use Future and Microsol or similar decal solution decals tend to adhere quickly. I'm back to using plain water and I only put the setting solutions on after the decal is in place.

Edited by Aaronw

• 2 weeks later...

quote name='gojogo' date='Aug 27 2008, 12:36 AM' post='116060']

Hi guys, I was wondering something about the Keith Marks decals, are they "slide off" the decal paper type decals (like the type that would come with a standard kit) or do they needed to be trimmed, I guess what I am trying to ask is are each individual decal raised on the decal sheet like with a revell kit or is the whole decal sheet flush with all the decals and each individual piece in need of tight trimming before you use it? I was just wondering? Thanks.

I always have Keith print me double sets, in case I screw up or double up as I did on the Camaro white nose wrap. He has done different colors for me. Note the seat trim decals, scripts, black hood bezels are Keith's. The decals are single sheet and you should trim close.

67Camaro03.jpg

I highly recommend his stuff